Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Alpha N2B Jacket military issue?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gentleman,

Has anyone ever come across military issue N2Bs in Black? Have found an Alpha N2B with a DSA date of 1975, wool / cotton mix lining in Black. Real? or something later with an early label sewn in? E-Bay auction score tonight that should arrive later this week.

$_58.JPG

Last edited:

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Does the tag say DSA 100...or does it day DSA 109? On my computer it appears to be 109...and I've never seen that in a DSA code. Not saying it doesn't exist, I just haven't ever seen it.

And I've never seen a black N-2B that was actual issue. But that doesn't mean that such an animal couldn't have once roamed the earth.

AF

bn1966

Hi Atticus,

Looks more like DSA 100 on my PC but then again it could be a 9. Seller appeared to know next to nothing about the jacket but said it was quite heavy (backing up the wool / cotton / nylon interlining). Pictures on the Bay were very poor quality (which could set alarm bells ringing). It seemed worth a $60.00 punt to see this animal in the flesh (hope it's not a hybrid), I've certainly not seen one like this for sale before. Have another poor image of a label by the cigarette pocket, same as my Alpha 1950's style MAI repro posted recently...does this shed any more light?

$_59.JPG

Wondering if this is a repro? Would a service issue jacket have that label?

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
To the best of my knowledge, Alpha never put their branding on their military contract jackets in that way. The combination of the label and the jacket being black would suggest to me that this was not an issue jacket. I do remember when I first got into military surplus back in the eighties that it came in two varieties: issue green (West German army shirts, light jackets, US M65s, and German moleskin combat trousers were all the rage) or overdyed black. To the best of my knowledge the black was a commercial thing, post-service. Maybe it hid awkward stains (my mother was horrified at the glee I took in there being a small bloodstain on the first military shirt I owned!). In any case, that Alpha label on the pocket of your jacket would, I should think, bear some signs of dye had this been overdyed rather than made as a black jacket, which may point one way or the other too.

bn1966

Thanks Edward, I will be intrigued to get my hands on this beast. My 'red label' MA1 repro is a great quality jacket IMHO. Having the same label, fingers crossed for similar quality. Could be a good $60.00 worth or I could have been sold a 'pup'. Does anyone know if Alpha did any repros with 'white labels' that had DSA numbers?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I started to say that I had never seen Alpha put a DSA number on a reproducion jacket...but I have. This is the tag from a Alpha repro MA-1 that I once owned. Except for the "Made In USA" and the material content, it looks like the real tag in the second photo.

JackiesTesters155.jpg

_57_zps73bdb985.jpg

AF

Edward

Bartender
If I can get a chance this week I'll put up a photo of the tag in my B15C Alpha Replica series. I think it's similar to that. It doesn't have the sleeve pocket tag, though. The Vintage Series had those, but not a milspec style label. Series

bn1966

Thanks Atticus & Edward,

Jacket should be here by the weekend & hopefully I can get some pics taken & posted. :)

bn1966

Jacket didn't turn up until today, courtesy of Parcel Farce who sent it back to the sender via several centres & hubs as a result of me living in an 'empty / vacant' house. Royal Mail did a better job. Jacket itself is superb quality IMHO & is a charcoal black with grey hood lining. The nylon shell is mint, waistband needs a very minor darn for a small moth nip, cuffs are 'blown' and need replacing. Interlining is a wool / cotton / nylon mix. Hood ruff looks like coyote but is simulated fur & great condition. Jacket appears to come from the same Replica series as my 50's MA1 (same red / gold Alpha tag)...I love it & think it's a bargain @ $60.00 :cool:

bn1966

This sold as 'Black' N2B is actually Navy Blue (dark navy) when exposed to daylight. Currently in for cuff replacement :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen