Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Oh that was your hat Mike? I saw it on FB. Congrats!

I'm just about ready to send Bob a deposit just to get in the queue. I'll decide what I want later.

I'm pretty jealous of David's westerns and Mike's lid with the Halo brim.

Exceptional work by Bob!

navarre

Vendor
Thanks for the kind words fellas. It has been a blast working on the new finishes, so I am glad they are being met with approval.

I would like to say that I owe a big thanks to Garrett and Steve ( MayserWegener ) for being a heck of an inspiration toward the new long hair finishes, both in their own right.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks fellas, all credit to Bob. Alan, I'll let Bob answer the technical questions. I probably shouldn't say this yet, but Bob has another brim edge surprise up his sleeve.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Very elegant and very interesting hat Mike.
I wish to have it in my hands to touch the finishes of felt.
The best way to have the real approach to the felt.
I like it and I should be grateful to know the dimensions.
What the maker (Bob) could say about this antique process Steve supply from the German-Austrian knowledge in the art of hatters it is very significant.
May I say, without any polemic, the felt surface is very similar (in photos) to some ancient EU hats in wool I had?

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Homeless Chicken !
Good for you Bob
OK I really like what I see here & good to see some old world elements here
Bob it probably involves some krazy research & trial & error But this is a exceptional hat & finish,
Brim binding is all time consuming work & talent ......very nice overall everything ..
Mike Killer hat .......I just have to say I do miss Garrett as im sure Bob is working on similar hats for him...
Id love to see more !
che

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
It's already laid him an egg Che! Yep, the Lounge is poorer without Garrett's contributions.

FYI, The Wonderluxe styling is named after Garrett.

Daniele, I wish you could touch it too as I know you would appreciate it. Here are the dimensions for you: Brim= 2 3/8" (6 cm) Ribbon= 2 3/16" (5.5 cm) Front crown= 4 1/2" (11.4 cm) Middle crown= 5 3/4" (14.6 cm) Back crown= 4 5/8" (11.75 cm)

May I say, without any polemic, the felt surface is very similar (in photos) to some ancient EU hats in wool I had?

I have come across many pre WWII German and Austrian advertisements for wool Velours. I probably have a couple wool Velours but don't even know it.

18297453276_ce182a6afa.jpg

Superbe

The Most Perfect Wool Velour Hat

Silky feel, no longer to be distinguished from a real fur velour hat.

In eight exquisite colors available to all wholesalers.

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok well,
The adoption of my third child was official earlier this month and Bob has been making the hat to celebrate that occasion. I sent very specific wants, but I told him to take those wants and have a field day and be creative. It HAD to incorporate blue because that is Gracie's birthstone and favorite color, it also had to have white because white is the color of the adoption awareness ribbon. Here is what Bob came up with, it is my first long hair pounce with a navy felt body, mid blue ribbon that gracie picked out and the white accent. Brim is just short of 2 1/2 and he said it had a very "portis hats" flavor, I have never owned a Portis so you be the judge. I think Bob hit this one out of the damn ballpark. I think it can be worn very casually which is always my criteria.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Indeed - especially the adoption (little Gracie is going to have a great life with super parents), Bob's hats are always outstanding too!

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Here she is in all her glory the hat devoted to my beautiful daughter Gracie. Tons a blue!! Blue is her birthstone and favorite color and the white accent is for the adoption awareness ribbon. Brim is 2 1/2 and the felt has a long haired finish I hope shows well in the pics. Hand dyed mid blue ribbon and the liner is freaking sweet! Such a cool/odd/unique hat for my unique daughter. Also notice the halo stitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner