Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Sheep Hat Works

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I'm still stuck between the blue or charcoal heather felts.....

Like Mike said both are a solid choice, personally though the blue heather is pretty versatile, out in the sun you get a nice vibrant blue. In lower light it actually looks like a charcoal gray.

My next custom is going to be another bowler but this time in one of his in house long hair finishes.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
That brown Tonak is going to look amazing when its finished i'm glad to see it ended up in Bobs hands.

You must have recognized that hand stitch over welt and of course Garrett got it from you. Also have to agree with your blue heather recommendation to Jared, didn't want to show too much bias since I own one too but what the hell. Also FYI, the rabbit heather bodies Bob sources are probably from Tonak as well. I just chose a bronze one that had a "Made in Czechoslovakia" tag stapled to it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, you know me, always the contrarian. I actually opted for the charcoal grey.

As I told Bob, "I made the mistake of browsing the Pre-1940's Stetson dress hats" thread, originally in an attempt to divine the brim widths of the earlier Playboys (A heather blue Playboy being my first inclination). But then I saw one of Alan's hats, the Stetson Star, and so hopefully I'll have a nice charcoal grey version of this:
star5.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
That bottom ribbon harkens back to a Stagecoach.

Mike, the parabuntal is beautiful. I can't believe you found that body. The ribbon is very unique and perfect for the hat. The hat looks as if it will blow off your head, it's so light.

Terrific!! :thumb: :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry David, somehow missed your post last time around. Appreciate it!

Jared, like I said originally, hard to go wrong either way. Look forward to seeing Bob's version of your Stetson Star.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Another fun daywith Garrett spent at Bob's, my pleasure was to pick up my Pandora v2 project. While I loved the original version and wore it often, I really wanted a finer weave for it's crown. Originally, it was just an experiment so I didn't want to invest much in it. Should have known better and trusted Bob's skills more. Long story short, we sourced a nice sisal crown and Bob swapped it out for me. Really like the result.

v1:

v2:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks fellas. At first I wasn't sure about the darker crown but the longer I looked the more I liked. It's a more subtle pan-dora effect. I think the pug really pulls the brim and crown together nicely. As a bonus, it's lighter and "airier" now too.

foamy

A-List Customer
snip... I think the pug really pulls the brim and crown together nicely. As a bonus, it's lighter and "airier" now too.
I agree. That's a handsome Summer hat and I really like the pug—as you said, it makes it.

By the way, checked out your Etsy store. Really nice pens! I collect fountain pens as well, though, this hat bug may well usurp the pen funds. I can see that Pelikan Stresemann waving goodbye.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks fellas. At first I wasn't sure about the darker crown but the longer I looked the more I liked. It's a more subtle pan-dora effect. I think the pug really pulls the brim and crown together nicely. As a bonus, it's lighter and "airier" now too.

UNIQUE! Totally your OWN. So nice.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Charlie, foamy, Bob, and Roger.

By the way, checked out your Etsy store. Really nice pens! I collect fountain pens as well, though, this hat bug may well usurp the pen funds. I can see that Pelikan Stresemann waving goodbye.

You got me there foamy, my handle is a reference to fountain pens but I don't have an Etsy store.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Apologies. I thought, "Mike's Pens," and Googled it. Who knew? I dig fountain pens. You are selling on ebay? A lot of sellers on ebay have etsy shops—I made that (mental) jump. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MikesPenTurningZ
I made an erroneous assumption. My sincere apologies. But you are a pen fan? Yes?

Yes but too lazy to sell.

Thanks Steve, couldn't resist posting it for those who know Garrett.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred