Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black tie, pearl studs

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Hi all,

I am slowly, slowy, getting my formal wear together. I want to invest in a nice set of mother of pearl studs for white tie. But in interest of not spending too much can you wear white tie studs with black tie? Or does one need to get a whole new set of black studs? Thanks in advance!

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Chasseur said:
Hi all,

I am slowly, slowy, getting my formal wear together. I want to invest in a nice set of mother of pearl studs for white tie. But in interest of not spending too much can you wear white tie studs with black tie? Or does one need to get a whole new set of black studs? Thanks in advance!

I'd use the MOP. They're understated, but still very nice. I don't think that a formal or semi-formal kit sould be too perfect, otherwise it looks like someone else dressed you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Chasseur said:
can you wear white tie studs with black tie?
No problem.The rules for Black Tie are much less stringent than those for White Tie. I sometimes were a shirt with a covered placket; no studs at all.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I'd prefer covered placket over pearl studs with black tie, but even the latter isn't so bad, if you really only want one set (though at the price they go for on eBay, you shouldn't find a problem finding some on the cheap). Black studs with white tie is the big no-no - too close to grey-tie.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Thanks guys! I knew about not mixing black studs with white tie (though our President seems to have forgotten that...).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You can always make your own stud set..........

.....at a minimal cost. Go to a button shop and pick out some fancy shank buttons, switch them out with the buttons that came with your shirt (on that fabric strip), then make the links.

a99035_win02_buttoncufflink_l.jpg

a99035_win02_buttoncloseup_m.jpg

ltedge

New in Town
Reversible studs may be your answer...

A few years back, before a black tie military ball, my wife presented me with a set of cufflinks and studs that were gold-rimmed MOP on one side and black onyx on the other. I think she picked them up at Nordstrom in Seattle, but a quick search turned up a similar pair here: http://www.cufflinks.com/revstudset.html

Seems they have some other sets as well that may work.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Reading this thread makes me realize that I am painfully unaware of the rules and terms pertaining to dressing well...I'm hoping the fault due to my age.....someone care to give me a brief run down?
white tie, black tie, grey tie?! :eek: [huh] :eusa_doh:

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Caity Lynn said:
Reading this thread makes me realize that I am painfully unaware of the rules and terms pertaining to dressing well...I'm hoping the fault due to my age.....someone care to give me a brief run down?
white tie, black tie, grey tie?! :eek: [huh] :eusa_doh:

Well, gray tie doesn't really exist (it was a joke, I think,) but black tie is a tuxedo and white tie is an evening tailcoat. For much more detailed info, go to http://www.blacktieguide.com. They will soon have a white tie section as well. To the OP, MOP with black tie is fine. In fact, I'm scouring eBay for the perfect set of vintage (jewelry is about the only time I can go vintage) MOP studs, and they can routinely be had for under $20.00! I haven't gotten a set yet because I'm holding out for a set with waistcoat studs.

Edward

Bartender
cufflinkmaniac said:
Well, gray tie doesn't really exist (it was a joke, I think,)

It doesn't exist for the gentleman, however, for ther servant classes it very much does. At the sort of event where white tie is de riguer, the servants traditionally would wear the same outfit, but with black tie and black waistcoat substituted for the white - this to set them apart from the guests / patrons, for ease of identification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner