Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blog?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
20 somethings and teenagers have latched onto a new word. It has exploded overnight....as it always does. Everything is a "blog". "Blog" has become the new "whatever" or "random".

Now .....what does it mean?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My guess...

Is this it?

Blog
[a.k.a. blogger -or- blogrolling -or- weblog -or- Web log -or- blogosphere]
A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is "blogging" and someone who keeps a blog is a "blogger." Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog.
Postings on a blog are almost always arranged in chronological order with the most recent additions featured most prominantly.

pafc

New in Town
Yup, a blog is basically an online journal. Blogspot.com is one of the many websites that provide a template and free webspace for your very own blog. I know of a few people at school who use them, and their uses have a vast range. From political bloggers who were allowed media passes into the DNC to teenage girls crying over high school drama.
Got any questions about pop culture, ask the 20 year old (that would be me) :D

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Hmmmmm....I guess I don't see the point. I wouldn't be interested in someone's flow of consciousness unless they were an expert in an area that I am interested in .....or it was by someone during a pivotal point in history and we could read what they were thinking at the time. For example President Harry
S. Truman during his decision to use the atom bomb.

Otherwise I prefer a dialog...an exchange of ideas. Message boards such as this are more interesting to me.

....Unless I am missing the point of it all.....

pafc

New in Town
Some of them are pretty interesting. For example, this link goes to a blog written by a soldier who is fighting in Iraq. http://cbftw.blogspot.com/. All blogs on the internet are hit or miss, you either find a great informative one or a waste of time teenage-angsty one.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
For some, it's convenient way to keep a journal. Mine is private access, only I can read it...I have the option to make it public, but I'd rather keep it to myself. In the past, I've tried the blog sites that allow you to link between friends and communities and let you comment on others' entries, but I found it to be too much like a message board. Not everyone needs to know the nitpicking details of my life.

Hands down one of the best 'bloggers' I've read is James Lileks. The man has impeccable taste.

James Lileks' 'Daily Bleat'

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Wait, you mean it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not that giant, jelly-like creature that terrorized a small town in the 1950's. Boy, I need to get out more. ;)

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
When I read what I wrote when I was still in High Shcool, it's the most mindless crap I can imagen... thoughts wandering all over the place, mentioning people as if I would always remember them (I don't) and the use of Grammar and spelling was actually WORSE if you can imagine.

Now.... The vast majority of what's on these blogs (or AICN for that matter) is 10 times WORSE then that because it's written by 30 year old no-lifers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner