Boater faction!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Alon, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Redfokker

Redfokker

If you have access to USA Ebay, there seems to be a large number of Boaters floating around. You might look for a 7 1/8 if you are a smaller 58. If they won't ship internationally, send me a PM and I can get it to you. I do it all the time for your neighbor Stefan Steur in Volendam.

RJR and Perry Underwood like this.
  2. SvH

SvH New in Town

Thank you for the reply Redfokker. Have not thought of ebay. I might take a look there and if necessary it is good to know I can contact you, thank you for the kind offering! But for now I am strongly leaning forward to the Olney Boater after doing some more research. I think I will have to go for size 57 then if I am right?

Redfokker and deadlyhandsome like this.
  3. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Boaters are tricky when it comes to fit. The rigidity of the straw means it either fits or it doesn’t and head shape is as important as size. I’ve had poor luck buying boaters without being able to try them on first. Just be warned.

As to brands, I like Ponte Rialto and their prices on the used market are attractive.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M Hatman and Redfokker like this.
  4. Redfokker

Redfokker

+1 To test the "boater waters" one may be wise to go with a finer quality modern offering. I agree with Brent about the Ponte boaters. They are plentiful and lower priced. My boaters are both over 70 years old and are only worn for special sunny occasions. I need a daily driver boater...

M Hatman and deadlyhandsome like this.
  5. Senshu

Senshu New in Town

[​IMG]

Under my new boater in the train. This hat is recent Japan made, claiming made by old stock straw material from Italy. Well made, with genuine leather sweat band.

In Japan, once boater was very popular early 20th. We still have several local hat manufacturers keeping boater production for around 100 years.

6. 1mach1

1mach1

Boaters suit you S. Looks great.

deadlyhandsome and M Hatman like this.
  7. Really like the weave on this!
    M

8. Senshu

Senshu New in Town

Thank you! I am a kind of new comer to hat lovers, and am trying many types of hat. So far, I found boaters best fit to me ;-)

M Hatman and 1mach1 like this.
  9. Senshu

Senshu New in Town

Yes, I do like the weave also, after trying vintage Dobbs boater and recent Olney’s. Definitely, old Dobbs shows best hand crafted quality, though.

M Hatman likes this.
  10. Redfokker

Redfokker

Very nice Senshu-san! I like the vintage look of that weave. It is hard to tell it didn't come from 1922!

11. Senshu

Senshu New in Town

Thanks for Italian old stock material!

12. Alive'n'Amplified

Alive'n'Amplified Call Me a Cab

I wear boaters pretty frequently. The biggest thing for any old hat is taking care of the sweatband. The salt from your sweat will dry the leather over time. Keep it clean and moisturized with something like Lexol.

If you maintain a hat properly it will last you a lifetime. Even straw hats. I wear a straw boater from 1915-ish and the sweatband is still soft.

deadlyhandsome and MondoFW like this.
  13. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Good to know. Presumably, my Cadillac shoe & boot conditioner would do the job. For my summer hat, I settled for a 1940s Panama (unworn!), so I'll be sure to condition the sweatband often, as there will surely be more than enough sweat when I visit NY this year.

It's fascinating how some of these Edwardian era boaters are still wearable, some of them looking fresh out of a warehouse, when there was this tradition to punch out the top of one's boater at the end of the summer. I guess since it was a very mainstream style for a while, a lot of them were left to stand the test of time.

Redfokker and deadlyhandsome like this.
  14. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

35130825_10215934576933030_507290969721274368_o.jpg

Took mine down to Wildwood, New Jersey, for The Race of Gentlemen. We got a bit wet at times, any tips for getting my brim and crown flat once again? They're not bad, but I'd hate to have them move any further.

M Hatman, Redfokker, MondoFW and 4 others like this.
  15. SvH

SvH New in Town

Good evening,

Thanks for al the input.
    A small update on my search for a Boater. I did order the Olney in the end. Black ribbon, size 57. It ships from the UK, so it won't be too costly to sent it back if it doesn't fit. I'm excited and can't wait to try it on.
    And if this one turns out well, I will keep my eyes open for a Ponte Rialto.

Sander

mayserwegener likes this.
  16. SvH

SvH New in Town

Btw, that is a very nice hat you are wearing Senshu! I really like the weave.

17. SilverBlaze83

SilverBlaze83 New in Town

Bloomsday, the one day wearing a boater in Ireland doesn't get me a second glance.

Attached Files:

18. MondoFW

Awesome boater! Proves you can pull these babies off these days, even when out of period wear. Keep wearing your boater with pride.
    Welcome to the Lounge! Nice boater--Is it vintage?

David Conwill and SilverBlaze83 like this.
  19. SilverBlaze83

SilverBlaze83 New in Town

Ű
    Thank you, it is vintage, a York hat with the original Yorkminster logo. I don't know what periods they used that and the blue star logo before Olney branding, if anyone can shed any light on dating it would be great! The ribbon is home made, a glossy navy and ivory stripe, one of several.

Redfokker and MondoFW like this.
  20. MondoFW

There's a thread in this subforum dedicated to dating people's hats, it shouldn't be hard to find. Post pics of the hat there and you may get an answer from some of the many knowledgeable enthusiasts here.

M Hatman, Redfokker and SilverBlaze83 like this.