Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Now, regarding a name for the devotees of this hat. I thought of Boater Battalion, or Boater Brigade, but they're both land based formations, and a boater sort of implies boats, don't it? So I thought, how about Boater Flotilla? Does that float yer boater?
Then again, I grew up calling them SKIMMERS. So, (as somebody or other often said ), so there you are.
Skimmer Squadron??? Ummm, I dunno . . .
Let's take a straw poll!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Drat!

Well, wouldn't you know. It ar rived today, and it's too small! I'm right betwen 6 7/8 and 7, and I guess when it comes to rigidly shaped boaters, I'm definitely a 7. You can't flex into shape at all. So I guess I'll post it in ths classifieds for what I paid ($20 plus $7 shipping) and see what happens. Lesson learned. [huh]

GWD

One Too Many
Marathon Boater

web.jpg

Not sure how old this is but it's like brand new.

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
I have three boaters. Two bought new in the 80's and a vintage one (30's) from Canada. I never had a shrinkage problem. I wear all three quite regularly in the summer. I even used to wear one with a tuxedo ala Maurice Chevalier!

SPRFINO

Familiar Face
Mike, You are fortunate the boater suits your features. Try and save the leather if you can, I don't believe there is any source for the sweat bands used in boaters.

Bingles

A-List Customer
This clip from "Robin and the Seven Hoods" helped me to fall in love with boaters. Not to mention I always say "A hats not a hat, till it's tilted!"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dIs_CS43yAM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dIs_CS43yAM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've been curious about these for a while and have handled a few in antique shops. Aside from the liner, and possibly the brand itself, what indicators do you look for when dating a boater? I think they used that "floating" sweatband style for a long time, no?

In the way that every fedora is supposedly from the 30s or 40s, all of these are 1890s, 1900s, or 1910s on ebay. "At least 100 years old" the ads all say.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSC02687.jpg

I got this boater new the other day. It's one Miller Hats offers. I'm still not sure I like the look. The hat is nice, although it did take a little "getting used to" as it is very stiff.

Wearing a boater is definitely one way to stand out in a crowd (like at 6' - 6" and 380 lbs I need a reason). You will occasionally see others in a fedora or fedora-like hat, but when you wear a boater you are really out there on your own.

AlanC

Magus said:
I've been waiting a couple of weeks to post this wonderful find. I landed it on the "E-site" a Vintage Stetson, 7 3/8 with a box for $31.

YYYyeeeeeeowwwwwwzzzzzzaaaaahh!

:jealous:

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Magus: Boater + Seersucker = way cool

BigMan: Every time I see a post of yours I long to move to your neck of the woods..............and I'm pretty sure you could pull off any look. Fabulous !!

Big Man

rikrdo said:
Magus: Boater + Seersucker = way cool

BigMan: Every time I see a post of yours I long to move to your neck of the woods..............and I'm pretty sure you could pull off any look. Fabulous !!

Thanks.

Big Man

kabuto said:
Are you a normal oval head shape?

There's nothing "normal" about me. :D

I wear a 7 5/8 extra long oval, so I ordered a 7 3/4 on the assumption that the little bit extra would compensate. The fit is just a little tight, but not too tight as to be uncomfortable. Since this is the first time I've ever wore a hat like this, I don't have anything to compare it to (good as apposed to not so good). I'm pleased with the hat, and will plan on wearing it from time to time over the summer.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Big Man said:
You will occasionally see others in a fedora or fedora-like hat, but when you wear a boater you are really out there on your own.

It's funny you mention that, because oddly enough, I saw two boaters last Friday at the parade. Not in the parade, mind you, but attending it with their respective owners.* And you know what? They looked good! Not in the least bit novel or "look at me." I think it's just further evidence that you can wear any kind of hat as long as you aren't self-conscious about it.

-Dave

*Seeing boaters in the parade, especially the hokey styrofoam kind, wouldn't have surprised me a bit, given the number of political candidates and antique autos that were there, but these were both fellows in their middle sixties, wearing them with casual, short-sleeve button down shirts. One had on khaki bermuda shorts and the other chinos.

Big Man

David Conwill said:
... I think it's just further evidence that you can wear any kind of hat as long as you aren't self-conscious about it ...

Probably more truth in that than I (we all) like to admit. I don't have a bit of trouble wearing a hat that looks like it came right out of the late 1920's - early 1930's, but the boater (while I think it looks OK on me) is another story.

May be it's time to just go ahead and take the plunge. What's the worst that could happen; somebody could say that it "looked funny" and than I'd have to mash their face? Hey, not that bad of outcome now that I think of it ... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner