Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Barker/ Jerry Lewis Done Wrong / "Rebranding"

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Bob Barker hosted “The Price Is Right” for 35 years, but he wasn’t invited to participate in the game show’s 40th anniversary special

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...luded-show-40th-anniversary-article-1.1152287

MDA telecast raised more — a lot more — with Jerry Lewis in 2010 than without him in 2011

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/ka...lecast-raised-more----lot-more----lewis-2010/

(Lewis was cut out of the organization entirely, ending a half-century affiliation. The organization’s new direction and streamlined telecast has resulted in the three-hour show airing today from 8 to 11 p.m. titled the “MDA Show of Strength.” The program was pre-produced and taped in Los Angeles, New York and Nashville. Lewis was never brought back to the six-hour version of the show that aired last year, though a montage of highlighted moments of him hosting the show was featured in the broadcast.)

Last edited:

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I turned the tv on expecting to see the regular telethon that I try to watch every year. (I had a cousin who suffered from MD who died in 2008. He survived for 38 yrs and was a great guy) I couldn't believe when I looked at the info and saw that it was only 3 hours. How the heck to expect to raise huge amounts of cash when it's only 3hrs long? It's just beyond stupid. I can remember all those years that Jerry hosted and seeing him at the end with the bow tie hanging, voice hoarse and just asking for that last dollar that anyone could spare. He always inspired me.

The Barker thing I read about today and again another stupid decision. The guy is a beloved icon.

Both of these things remind me of the debacle that is the "new" JC Penney. They're all just head scratchers.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen this kind of decision making in Des Moines (both the city council and the DSM Register). It's this pathetic attempt to keep up with the Jones'. You have something really good, with class and style, a household name.

Sales aren't skyrocketing each month so you get rid of all that old crap, and get something new, fresh.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've seen this kind of decision making in Des Moines (both the city council and the DSM Register). It's this pathetic attempt to keep up with the Jones'. You have something really good, with class and style, a household name.

Sales aren't skyrocketing each month so you get rid of all that old crap, and get something new, fresh.

Yes, and so I added "rebranding" to the title.

There are also time-tested "golden era" products that, for no apparent reason, become "new and improved" when in fact it's a shoddy shadow of what it once was. I see this with a lot of beauty products becoming reformulated. We've seen it done with classic cartoon characters and icons that receive what looks like bad plastic surgery and steroids....

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I turned the tv on expecting to see the regular telethon that I try to watch every year. (I had a cousin who suffered from MD who died in 2008. He survived for 38 yrs and was a great guy) I couldn't believe when I looked at the info and saw that it was only 3 hours. How the heck to expect to raise huge amounts of cash when it's only 3hrs long? It's just beyond stupid. I can remember all those years that Jerry hosted and seeing him at the end with the bow tie hanging, voice hoarse and just asking for that last dollar that anyone could spare. He always inspired me.

The Barker thing I read about today and again another stupid decision. The guy is a beloved icon.

Both of these things remind me of the debacle that is the "new" JC Penney. They're all just head scratchers.

I also admired him for his endurance and also was motivated by him. Well stated all around.

Speaking of the "new" JC Penney, I've been getting a small, expensive-looking heavyweight catalog from them. It does nothing for me. I think they are trying to look boutique-chic.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It all comes around though. The rising generation has only the vaguest notion of who this "Drew Carey" person is, and would only watch game shows ironically. Which means old Drew will soon be put out to pasture in favor of a whey-faced bearded hipster host. "Come on down, like yah!"

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh heck, we won't end it no matter how hard we try. At best, we're spitting in the wind.

But end, it will. If this country doesn't plummet into a god-honest depression soon, and if we're not all loading our rifles and butchering squirrels, the dorks in marketing will be watching for the next best thing to sell our youth. It will start organically, like all the others, but then they will take it and run with it, literally defining it before it can define itself. It's only a matter of time.

Next thing will be the 1980's version of "future" teens - mohawks, plastic sunglasses with slits, fingerless gloves, chains and burnt denim jackets. Or wait, was that already cool?

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I'll never forget Frank Zappa's description of the music business. He said when he started out in the late 50s - early 60s there was a lot of good music on the market. There was a lot of cheap rubbish but there was a lot of good stuff too.

The music business was dominated by old men with cigars. They would produce anything they thought would sell whether they liked it or not and whether they understood it or not. And some good music got through.

Then in the sixties they were replaced by a new cadre of hip young executives whose motto was " I know what the kids want". After that, nothing good stood a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP4wsURn3rw

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo