Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Barker/ Jerry Lewis Done Wrong / "Rebranding"

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I suggest that folks become fond of other folks over the years, regardless of their position. You may not personally know, or care about, your grocery store produce manager, but if you see the guy/gal every other day for 30 years, you might feel a tinge of sadness if they suddenly appear in the obituaries. Same rule applies to The Price is Right.

I guess since so much of our society is a disposable, faceless world, the marketing people do not realize that there are people who actually remember something that happened more than 15 minutes ago or that value continued service.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
So why bother get to know your bus driver? He's just the same loser that takes you from point A to point B, right? He's just a mouthpiece of the Metro Transit Authority. You're not riding the bus to see him, you're riding the bus to get to the library.

If we have no personal relationship with our bus driver, and he serves no other purpose but to drive our bus, we should having nothing else to do with him?

Certainly, if we approached every aspect of life with a cold, cynical eyes, things like nostalgia would have no place in our hearts. However, as it is, when Mr. X appears on The Y Show for 35 years, it would be graceful and show some tact to invite Mr. X back for the Anniversary episode, if not at least to sit in the audience.

I suggest that folks become fond of other folks over the years, regardless of their position. You may not personally know, or care about, your grocery store produce manager, but if you see the guy/gal every other day for 30 years, you might feel a tinge of sadness if they suddenly appear in the obituaries. Same rule applies to The Price is Right.

Undertow, I hope you don't think I am calling Bob Barker a "loser". Also, I didn't use the term "mouthpiece" either. Bob Barker, in his role as host of the show, was there for countless presentations of products. I take a neutral approach to his role as a marketer. I did not use the term "mouthpiece" as it has far more negative connotations than I would apply to Bob Barker. I do not know Bob Barker, so I will maintain a neutral position toward him.

You asked would it be graceful for the producers of the show to ask him back. I said explicitly in an earlier post that if would be nice if they did that. However, the producers own the show and at the end of the day it is their call as to whether they invite him or not. The production company that owns it can do whatever they want with it. I do not know what their reasons are for their decisions. If viewers are displeased, they can contact the producers and let them know, or they can stop watching the program.

BTW, you asked why I should get to know my bus driver, who you say is a mouthpiece for the transit authority. In fact, they are not mouthpieces for the transit authorities, even though they do deal with the public all day long. They are actually the ones who most directly provide me with the service that I want from the transit authority. I am much more likely to take a streetcar than a bus in my city, but I always nod and say hi to the driver on the way in (as long as there isn't a big crush of people trying to get in). If I exit by the front doors rather than the side doors I always thank the driver on the way out. That seems to be the level of cordiality that they like. Where I live, you are not supposed to talk to the driver when the vehicle is in motion. There is a big difference between a bus driver and a TV presenter. I can actually interact with the driver, the cashier, the plumber, the librarian etc. But for people on TV, the relationship any of us has with them is all one-way. It is interesting that TV viewers somehow feel there is a relationship of some kind between themselves and the person on TV.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
It is interesting that TV viewers somehow feel there is a relationship of some kind between themselves and the person on TV.

Interesting, but also a good reason for a company to stay loyal to a presenter thay has been successful.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The relationship is more one of association with pleasant memories, not one of personal interaction. I never met Carl Yastrzemski in person, but when he shows up at Fenway Park on opening day, all wrinkly-faced and with snow-white hair, to throw out the first ball or raise the flag, I always tear up because of the memories he represents of sitting on the porch with my grandparents listening to the ball game. A Bob Barker fan, who perhaps spent time watching the Price Is Right with her grandma might very well feel the same sort of emotions, which would explain the strong response many have felt to his being snubbed.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah...

images

[huh] :ranger:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
The relationship is more one of association with pleasant memories, not one of personal interaction. I never met Carl Yastrzemski in person, but when he shows up at Fenway Park on opening day, all wrinkly-faced and with snow-white hair, to throw out the first ball or raise the flag, I always tear up because of the memories he represents of sitting on the porch with my grandparents listening to the ball game. A Bob Barker fan, who perhaps spent time watching the Price Is Right with her grandma might very well feel the same sort of emotions, which would explain the strong response many have felt to his being snubbed.

Thank you. Exactly.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars

But if one just watched the show without grandma, why would one care about Bob Barker's being snubbed? Also, with this type of criterion, a child today watching programs about the Kardashians with grandma will also grow up to have some kind of "relationship" with Kim Kardashian.

I think with a baseball player you don't need to have pleasant associations with a third party. If you are a fan of that team, the achievements of the player on that team will be enough to give you some kind of affinity with the player.

I do think it would have been nice if Bob Barker were included in the reunion, but that is all it would have been. Also, it isn't really that bad that he wasn't included.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
But if one just watched the show without grandma, why would one care about Bob Barker's being snubbed? Also, with this type of criterion, a child today watching programs about the Kardashians with grandma will also grow up to have some kind of "relationship" with Kim Kardashian.

I think with a baseball player you don't need to have pleasant associations with a third party. If you are a fan of that team, the achievements of the player on that team will be enough to give you some kind of affinity with the player.

I do think it would have been nice if Bob Barker were included in the reunion, but that is all it would have been. Also, it isn't really that bad that he wasn't included.

You contribute nothing but self-important derision. You detract from the FL, in my opinion. Or maybe you just aren't good at marketing your ideas.

This is a good thread. I hope people will not feed this troll.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I loved Barker as host of "Truth or Consequences." Ralph Edwards came across as just a trifle sadistic when he oversaw the embarassing goofy stunts, but Barker seemed to be enjoying the spectacle without relishing the idea of the contestants making fools of themselves. It was a fine line, but he straddled it nicely. That takes talent.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You contribute nothing but self-important derision. You detract from the FL, in my opinion. Or maybe you just aren't good at marketing your ideas.

This is a good thread. I hope people will not feed this troll.

See my previous comment:

images

[huh] :ranger:

If I thought there was a point, I would have continued the discussion. It wasn't until this afternoon that I realized some people (and by some people, of course I mean the some people you and I are discussing) simply enjoy stepping out of line in internet forums for its own sake. Eh...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
See my previous comment:

If I thought there was a point, I would have continued the discussion. It wasn't until this afternoon that I realized some people (and by some people, of course I mean the some people you and I are discussing) simply enjoy stepping out of line in internet forums for its own sake. Eh...

Yes. Best not to bite onto a pizza bait. :p

If even half those allegations are true it really puts Bob Barker in a bad light.
Did it give you a tingle down your leg? Why do you care about people having a positive feeling/memory about someone they grew up watching on TV? With your logic, we should also shut down the "Notable Passings" thread because who could care about all those people we don't actually know and who might be ***holes.Move on, but don't berate folks in the thread. Please.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
On the internet, as in life, not everyone will agree with you on everything. But does that mean you should insult them? If anyone wants to discuss interesting aspects of what makes a person a celebrity and why we feel some type of affinity/sympathy for them, fine. If anyone just wants to call each other names, I'm not into that.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
Did it give you a tingle down your leg? Why do you care about people having a positive feeling/memory about someone they grew up watching on TV? With your logic, we should also shut down the "Notable Passings" thread because who could care about all those people we don't actually know and who might be ***holes.Move on, but don't berate folks in the thread. Please.

No tingle down my let. In fact, I didn't post the link to that video. I just make a comment on it. And my comment started with the word "If" because I am not privy to all the details of the case. I don't think that the notable passings thread should be shut down. I said in my comments about Bob Barker that I am neutral about him and it would have been nice if the producers of the Price is Right had invited him to the the reunion show, but it isn't a major problem if they don't invite him. So again pretty neutral.

What I find interesting is that at best, I can only muster neutral feelings about Bob Barker. Because he wasn't a character in a TV show with a narrative I can't get worked up about his exclusion. By contrast, it wouldn't make sense to exclude a character like Radar, say, from a MASH reunion because he played a role in story lines and plot development. As a character, the show got you to feel for him and care about his character. But Bob Barker played no character on The Price is Right, so what would be the source for any affinity for him?

Haven't you made your point repeatedly now? Seems you insist on continuing an argument only to agitate those in disagreement with your dominating all important opinion. No wonder you might eventually be insulted. I really don't see anyone wanting to discuss those aspects that you do..except you.

No tingle down my let. In fact, I didn't post the link to that video. I just make a comment on it. And my comment started with the word "If" because I am not privy to all the details of the case. I don't think that the notable passings thread should be shut down. I said in my comments about Bob Barker that I am neutral about him and it would have been nice if the producers of the Price is Right had invited him to the the reunion show, but it isn't a major problem if they don't invite him. So again pretty neutral.What I find interesting is that at best, I can only muster neutral feelings about Bob Barker. Because he wasn't a character in a TV show with a narrative I can't get worked up about his exclusion. By contrast, it wouldn't make sense to exclude a character like Radar, say, from a MASH reunion because he played a role in story lines and plot development. As a character, the show got you to feel for him and care about his character. But Bob Barker played no character on The Price is Right, so what would be the source for any affinity for him?
Scroll down past the TV stuff to animal rights, etc. Even a good man can be a pr*ck or an *ss or whatever some think he is. He's done good, and many folks like him like my Mom. Where's the list of reasons to like you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Barker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails