Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

body changes -> garment alteration?

wahine

Practically Family
Hi ladies, I'd like your opinions / advice.

For the first time in, let's say, 10 years my body weight changed in a noticeable way.
I really started off with my vintage wardrobe only about a year or maybe 1,5 yrs.
One reason of getting serious about it now was I was thinking I wouldn't change weight because I hadn't in such a long time. ha ha
Most of it, esp. skirts, is made to measure - my aunt altered several pieces for me. Now, with more and more outfits, I was just getting to being able to go vintage pretty much every day (if I wanted).
Now, almost all of them don't fit anymore (I got about one size smaller)! :eusa_doh:
My aunt said she'd alter the stuff all over again, but I'm afraid to hurry for maybe the weight'll come back and then she'd have to do it all over again. She is a tailor alright, but it's still a bit of work! Plus, I'm not so sure if the garments will take it so well to be altered over and over again.

Maybe I should add that the weight loss is due to taking some medication. I'll most likely go on taking the drug for a long time, but I can't be sure that my regular appetite won't come back anyway (started taking the stuff about 3 months ago).

Now, would you have it all altered or hold still for a while longer (which means not being able to wear most of the wardrobe)?
What do you do when your body changes in such a way that your clothes don't fit anymore?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It really depends on the specific article of clothing. Most of the clothes I have that don't fit me anymore are because they're too small, usually if I've had them for years (Time = poundage). If I'm not married to it, it gets donated. If I am, I have a look inside and see if I can take it in or let it out anywhere to make it fit.

I wouldn't ever hold on to something in hopes that it will fit again. My clothes have to fit me today, or I do one of the above with them.

wahine

Practically Family
I wouldn't ever hold on to something in hopes that it will fit again. My clothes have to fit me today, or I do one of the above with them.

I see what you mean. Generally, I think the same way, I never kept stuff that didn't fit anymore.
(But then, it was stuff from the 90s ;) )
I'm so insecure because I hadn't any weight changes in ages. And 90% of my vintage wardrobe is "new"; meaning, I got it withing the last 18 months or so. It's so annoying, having it all set up and now surprisingly losing weight, which I never ever expected.
You know, I put a lot of effort in getting the stuff (having a low budget) and having much of it altered already. I just think, what if I have it all altered now and then get back to my old weight? Don't you think that altering it back and forth will wear it out a lot?
I can't just buy everything new. And btw a lot of it is from my granny, so giving it away is out of the question (for most of it).

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You know, I put a lot of effort in getting the stuff (having a low budget) and having much of it altered already. I just think, what if I have it all altered now and then get back to my old weight? Don't you think that altering it back and forth will wear it out a lot?

Not at all! I have a gingham sundress that I've altered at least 5 times (the seams, the shoulders, and the bust darts.) I say tailor, tailor, tailor - You can always let out what you've tightened and sew up what you've loosened. :)

I own a lot of expensive repro too, and theres no way I'd get rid of it. I would tailor them within an inch of their lives before I got rid of them!

Fraeulein von C

New in Town
For me it would depend on whether the weight loss was welcome or not. If you want to stay that size, I'd say alter your clothes to fit you again. If you are desperately trying to get the weight back on (and if it's realistic to get it back on), then don't alter them.

P.S I'm from Germany as well btw :)

wahine

Practically Family
Welcome to the forum, Fraeulein von C! (nice nick, I always regretted that we gave up the "Fräulein")

I can't say that the loss was welcome. Neither can I say that I despise it. Don't really care if I stay that way or get back to my old standard (I know I must sound like an alien, not welcoming a loss of weight although I wasn't slim before).
I only know, in the old days when I wasn't as self-secure, when I tried to willingly affect my weight (which meant lose it), I always failed. That's why I totally gave up trying to control my weight. So I can't say "I like how I look now, so I'll just stay that way". No control, I just let it happen. So, the question is: how likely is it that my appetite gets back to my old standard? How long does it take till a body really gets used to medication?

Fraeulein von C

New in Town
Well in that case, maybe you could have a few pieces altered, so you have something to wear now and then wait another few months and see what happens during that time. Or ask your doctor what other patients on the same medication say, so you know what the average experience is (but you've probably done that already)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
So, the question is: how likely is it that my appetite gets back to my old standard? How long does it take till a body really gets used to medication?

I think it all depends on the medication, like Fraulein says. A friend of mine is going to be on thyroid medication for the rest of her life, and shes in the process of finding the right one for her. They all have wildly different effects on her weight!

wahine

Practically Family
I must admit that I haven't even asked my doctor, I'm so silly. :eek: Guess it's a good idea to do that.
The idea to alter just one outfit also appeals.

Good thing is, many of my modern clothes also don't fit anymore, that's a chance of getting rid of some more pieces. For example, I might take this as a chance of finally giving up wearing jeans. What was ass-tight (forgive me the expression) is baggy now, looking way too 'casual' to me. Since buying a new jeans comes next to running on glowing charcoal to me, I guess I'll just quit. :D
One step further to go all vintage. Only, that I'm not so sure if I'm really ready to do it.

wahine

Practically Family
Hi ladies,
the pencil skirt thread made me want to show you one of two skirts that my aunt has altered for me:
my first real pencil skirt, a classy gray glencheck / prince of wales dessin. I inherited it from a friend's mom only a few weeks ago, it was way too big and looked like a potato sack on me.
Please excuse the bad picture quality, I need better lights in my bedroom.

It wasn't planned to wear a belt with it, but somehow it looked better with this blouse (can't be I lost more weight since she altered it, only a week ago?!). Unfortunately, it has no belt loops. But - it has pockets! :D
I think the skirt looks much better in reality than in the picture. Anyways, I'm happy that I decided to have at least two skirts altered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21