Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogart's denim

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I've read quite a bit of anti-denim and -jean comments from Loungers, and that's to be understood. However, I just re-watched To Have and Have Not and very much liked the jeans Bogart wore. High-waisted, full-cut, and the pockets are apparently patch pockets, not like Levi's style jeans.

Any thoughts on vintage denim, or ideas where I could get a pair of those high-waist non-tapered jeans? I like my 501s but loved Bogart's look in that movie.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Vintage/Repro WW2 USN Dungarees (jeans).

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com

...more specifically-

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/usndungarees.html

dungaree3.jpg

I have had a pair for 7 years and like 'em a lot, although I also have a back-catalog of Vintage Levis and Lees- these fill a definite style gap.

The Bogey denim is discussed in a thread... somewhere and has the off-set pic with Bogie, Hoagie and Bacall with some servicemen... somewhere...

Thanks for a timely reminder-:cheers1:

B
T

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Thanks...

...HerringboneKid and BT!! They look right to me. I read in a (brief) history of Dickies clothing that Bogart wore Dickies pants in To Have and Have Not, but the claim didn't include a picture of their pants from that time.

I'm about ready to order a pair from that link, BT. Questions: What's the fit like? I'm 6'1'' tall and usually wear a 33 waist, 34 length. Do I need to allow for shrinkage, or for other considerations related to the higher waist? The sizes they offer jump from 32 to 34. I'll go with the 34, I assume. But will the length be enough?

Your (extremely rapid) assistance was very much appreciated, with both the link and the photo.

One of these days when I figure out how to post photos, I'll put one up of my father from 1961. He's a dead ringer for Bogie in that photo, but wearing a suit instead. My mother, bless her, never looked like Bacall. Probably just as well. That's how Oedipal issues arise.

--Burma Shave

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mine didn't shrink so much- maybe an inch in the waist over the years- but I have expanded. Just buy your correct size- whatever will realistically fit you of course...

Those ones from WWIIImp- are the closest to Bogey's, although not identical- but they have that full fit, straight legs and totally vintage look. The denim is nice too- different from normal jeans' denim.

And you're very welcome- we're all here to assist each other.
B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn