Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bombers B-52

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Just watched this classic movie and I thought it was a great look at the 1950's Cold War Air Force. The story line is a little cheesy, but the aerial scenes make up for it. It was filmed in 1957 when the B-52 was new and I can’t believe they are still flying it today.
I purchase the DVD from Amazon and I would recommend the movie to anyone who like aviation movies.

I've always thought Strategic Air Command (1954) was a much better movie with its depictions of the B-36 and B-47. Also Jimmy Stewart's character in the movie was loosely modeled after baseball great Ted Williams who flew combat missions in Korea.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I've always thought Strategic Air Command (1954) was a much better movie with its depictions of the B-36 and B-47. Also Jimmy Stewart's character in the movie was loosely modeled after baseball great Ted Williams who flew combat missions in Korea.

I will have to agree with you on that. However, I had never even heard of "Bomber B-52" until about a week ago when I ordered it.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
X15

Another bad movie, but a must for the aviation buff is, X15, staring a young nobody by the name of Charles Bronson!

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Just watched 'Towards the Unknown' and I thought it was awesome. The acting is not the best but it has some great footage of some great aircraft. Cigarette companies must have been raking in the bucks back then. It seems like every scene in most of these movies has someone smoking. I don’t smoke and I found myself wanting a cigarette during the movie.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Just wtched 'Battle Hymn' with Rock Hudson. The plot is weak and acting is not great, but they have some good footage of the F-51. I also purchased 'Flight Command' with Robert Taylor, but have not watched it yet.

Espee

Practically Family
I used to watch some of these with my dad, who was a frustrated would-be pilot. I know there were at least two features which incorporated real footage of an F-86 going out of control and crashing on a runway.
If I had to guess I'd say Strategic Air Command and X-15...

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Just wtched 'Battle Hymn' with Rock Hudson. The plot is weak and acting is not great, but they have some good footage of the F-51. I also purchased 'Flight Command' with Robert Taylor, but have not watched it yet.

I assume you have seen Rock Hudson in "A Gathering of Eagles"? It has been a long time since I saw that movie.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran