Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Book Review: Men's Hats by Folledore

jpdesign

Vendor
Mens Hats
By: Giuliano Folledore

I recieved a copy of this book for Christmas and remember a few people commenting on it. After reading it I felt compelled to write about it. This will be the first in a series of reviews about the books in my collection.

It seems that Mr. Folledore is someone who knows a lot about fashion. As with many people who know about fashion he seems to know little about hats. It would seem that this book was compiled from various sources just to fill a gap in his set of books about fashion in the 20th century.

There are several things that mak it difficult to read. I would say that it would not hurt someone who is knowledgeable about hats already to read it. But it may give someone wrong ideas about several aspect of hats and hat making. There is some good information about a few things, but a lot of it is misleading.

First, it is full of Italian names for hats that are of other originalities, and the terms are vague at that. The writer seems to have used many sorces from many languages and not gotten all of the translations right.

It also seems that he read some descriptions and then tried to find pictures that fit those descriptions. And didn't get them all right.

There are terms from old uses that have not been up dated to modern terms. During midevel and reneisance times any animal that had a two stage coat, like a beaver, the under coat was called wool. Felt was often called cloth in the past, where most people today consider cloth as something woven.

All in all it is a pretty forgetable book on hats.

Jimmy

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Thank you for the review. There is a great lack of books on hats though I have found one most interesting... interesting to the point that I think it should be something fashion school classes should read to educate them on the history of men's headwear.

Hatless Jack

jpdesign

Vendor
I liked that one as well, there will be a review on that one soon, though I may do a couple of others first. There are about three really good books out there.

Jimmy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner