Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Born in a suit?

JimWagner

Practically Family
We've all seen or known men who seem to have been born in a suit. You may even be one of them. There's something about their appearance that is absolutely correct and natural in a suit.

On the other hand, we've also seen men that just don't look right in suits. You might be one of them.

It's not a matter of the expense involved, or even the general size and weight of the man.

I have my own ideas on this, but I'm interested others thoughts on this.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
Other than having a basic grasp of colour, proportion and co-ordination of accessories …

… It's about the fit of the suit, plain and simple. Most are horrifically fitted.

bk

Agreed! A well-fitting suit is precious in the right hands. Many suits are "One Size Fits All", involving bad "spots" on different bodies.

Go to a thrift store and inspect jackets of your size - you'll notice some jackets fit right, and others look terrible. It's the difference in fit; you might have broad shoulders that aren't being accounted for in the fit, etc.

In other words, I agree with Mr. B. Kurtz. Perhaps some folks just need better fitting suits? [huh]

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
JimWagner said:
It's not a matter of the expense involved, or even the general size and weight of the man.
I would not discount these factors as easily as you do. The chances of getting a well fitted suit of quality make and cloth increase greatly the more money you throw at it. And let's face it, clothes hang better on the the tall and lean. [huh]

But with all that, if you don't actually feel comfortable wearing a suit you probably won't look relaxed either. Personally, I think that it's a great advantage to have worn tailored clothing (suits, sportcoats, ties, etc..) on a regular basis from a very young age. Like anything started young it just becomes second nature;the suit a second skin. I did twelve years of school in blazer and tie....

I think it's hard to acquire that certain level of poise when you only suit up two or three time a year, like most kids (men?) today. At special events, like weddings, funerals and such.... I can usually spot those wear suits regularly.

RobStC

A-List Customer
JimWagner said:
Me too. And you're getting closer to what I was referring to.

Yep, the (no doubt oft-quoted) story of Terence Young (of Bond film fame) getting Connery to sleep in his suits and DJ's, and just living in them long enough to get truly at home in them, comes to mind.....

Myself, I wear suits, from choice, about 365 days a year, and it's got to the extent of not feeling happy to be out in public in anything else :eek: , and have done so for about 25 years now. Bit like with hats: you gotta just stick at it!

You 'are' what you do frequently.....

RobStC

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I had my first suit at two or so, and apparently I loved wearing it, and have taken every excuse to wear a suit since (even made a few up. First day of classes at school? Suit. Exams? Suit. Church? Suit). I think it also helps to have gone to a school with a dress code or uniform/dress code, because then jackets and ties become comfortable.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Well, good tailoring and being used to wearing a suit certainly help, but the things I hoped others would mention are things like these (in no particular order):

1. Posture. Don't slouch. Stand straight, shoulders back, but not stiffly. It is possible to stand straight without being all tensed up and rigid.

2. Keep your hands out of your pockets.

3. Keep still - don't fidget. Move smoothly with purpose and not all gawky like a kid.

4. Wear socks that don't sag down around your ankles.

5. Make sure your shirt fits properly. If the neck is too tight you'll be and look very uncomfortable and if it's too loose you'll just look sloppy.

6. Tie your tie properly and keep it snugged up and centered.

7. Try not to be so self conscious.

8. Get a decent adult haircut and keep it groomed or combed properly. It's part of the whole look.

9. Keep your fingernails cut and clean.

10. Keep your suit pressed and clean. A little starch in that shirt wouldn't hurt either.

The list can go on quite a bit.

A lot of it is basic grooming, but if you look closely at someone who looks out of place in a suit you'll see any number of those things missed.

It takes more than just putting on a suit to look sharp. If all those things are obvious to you and habitual then you probably look good in a suit.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
RobStC said:
Yep, the (no doubt oft-quoted) story of Terence Young (of Bond film fame) getting Connery to sleep in his suits and DJ's, and just living in them long enough to get truly at home in them, comes to mind.....

Myself, I wear suits, from choice, about 365 days a year, and it's got to the extent of not feeling happy to be out in public in anything else :eek: , and have done so for about 25 years now. Bit like with hats: you gotta just stick at it!

You 'are' what you do frequently.....

RobStC

About 365 days a year? My kind of guy!:eusa_clap (Of course, that's easier to do in Scotland than it is in the S.W. United States...) Oh, and I love the Connery reference.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I often see this young guy, always in a suit, on the way to work. He looks like he's wearing someone else's clothes. I attribute this to three things: his haircut doesn't go with a suit; it's too long and it's not styled. He doesn't walk like he's wearing a suit or on his way to a place that requires a suit. And I think the suit is a little too big on him.

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
Yeps said:
I had my first suit at two or so, and apparently I loved wearing it, and have taken every excuse to wear a suit since (even made a few up. First day of classes at school? Suit. Exams? Suit. Church? Suit). I think it also helps to have gone to a school with a dress code or uniform/dress code, because then jackets and ties become comfortable.
I got my fist suit in 1st grade by request. I loved it and asked to wear it almost every day. I suppose things rarely change because in 9th grade (in middle school we had to wear t shirt and khaki pants) I started wearing suits an panel shirts again. Now I don't even own a pair of jeans or a t shirt.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
JimWagner said:
Well, good tailoring and being used to wearing a suit certainly help, but the things I hoped others would mention are things like these (in no particular order):

1. Posture. Don't slouch. Stand straight, shoulders back, but not stiffly. It is possible to stand straight without being all tensed up and rigid.

2. Keep your hands out of your pockets.

3. Keep still - don't fidget. Move smoothly with purpose and not all gawky like a kid.

4. Wear socks that don't sag down around your ankles.

5. Make sure your shirt fits properly. If the neck is too tight you'll be and look very uncomfortable and if it's too loose you'll just look sloppy.

6. Tie your tie properly and keep it snugged up and centered.

7. Try not to be so self conscious.

8. Get a decent adult haircut and keep it groomed or combed properly. It's part of the whole look.

9. Keep your fingernails cut and clean.

10. Keep your suit pressed and clean. A little starch in that shirt wouldn't hurt either.

The list can go on quite a bit.

A lot of it is basic grooming, but if you look closely at someone who looks out of place in a suit you'll see any number of those things missed.

It takes more than just putting on a suit to look sharp. If all those things are obvious to you and habitual then you probably look good in a suit.
Sure but most of these points apply to casual dress as well, no.

And BTW, starch is not good for shirts; simply press with steam/water. regardless what that kook James Powers says........

Undertow

JimWagner said:
10. ... A little starch in that shirt wouldn't hurt either.

Well...depending on where you bought your shirt and how much you paid! :rolleyes:

I just happened to be at both Younkers and JC Penny's last night looking over button downs, "suits" (suit seperates now, neither store actually sold suits), slacks and shoes.

While both stores had cotton/polyester Dockers and 100% polyester "microfiber" slacks, neither store had anything with wool. Both stores carried shoes, but the "best" brand was Stacy Adams, and certainly nothing from Florsheim, ColeHaan, etc. and only one model with leather soles. The suit seperates were godawful, and when I thought Younkers would surprise me with a Hopsack navy blazer, I found it was a 55% polyester 45%wool blend that was ill fitting, badly cut and every seam appeard to be sloppy.

But what most disappointed me was the lack of cotton shirts. Younkers, thankfully, had a single brand of shirt (Kenneth Roberts Platinum, I believe) that was 100% cotton, and they were only $30 a piece. Everything else there was similar to JC Penny's offerings, which had nothing in cotton, and only a few expensive shirts at 60% cotton 40% polyester. The tags had the same blah-blah on them, but care instructions insisted you DO NOT STARCH the shirt. [huh]

JimWagner

Practically Family
Tomasso said:

And BTW, starch is not good for shirts; simply press with steam/water. regardless what that kook James Powers says........

Yes, most of those things apply to casual dress as well. If you want to look good. That said, if you press creases into blue jeans (for example) then you'll look odd. Someone who never wears blue jeans and creases them looks just as out of place as someone ignoring the things I listed and wears a suit.

As for starch, it really depends on how much starch. And what kind of cloth the shirt is made from. A light starch will keep an oxford shirt smoother longer. But YMMV.

Undertow

Tomasso said:

Sure, but who doesn't love a nice, heavily starched collar? :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Well...depending on where you bought your shirt and how much you paid! :rolleyes:

I just happened to be at both Younkers and JC Penny's last night looking over button downs, "suits" (suit seperates now, neither store actually sold suits), slacks and shoes.

While both stores had cotton/polyester Dockers and 100% polyester "microfiber" slacks, neither store had anything with wool. Both stores carried shoes, but the "best" brand was Stacy Adams, and certainly nothing from Florsheim, ColeHaan, etc. and only one model with leather soles. The suit seperates were godawful, and when I thought Younkers would surprise me with a Hopsack navy blazer, I found it was a 55% polyester 45%wool blend that was ill fitting, badly cut and every seam appeard to be sloppy.

But what most disappointed me was the lack of cotton shirts. Younkers, thankfully, had a single brand of shirt (Kenneth Roberts Platinum, I believe) that was 100% cotton, and they were only $30 a piece. Everything else there was similar to JC Penny's offerings, which had nothing in cotton, and only a few expensive shirts at 60% cotton 40% polyester. The tags had the same blah-blah on them, but care instructions insisted you DO NOT STARCH the shirt. [huh]

I'm surprised about Penny's. The one a couple of miles from here has quite a few cotton dress shirts, and carries "complete" suits. Sears, Roebuck actually had a decent suit available a few months ago, one of the few pieces of men's clothing that didn't look as cheap as all get out...

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso said:
But with all that, if you don't actually feel comfortable wearing a suit you probably won't look relaxed either.

This is as important as the suit being a good cut, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo