Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Bankrupt?

Thanks for speaking up, skid lid!

See, Daniele... pisons are everywhere! I didn't realize there are so many "forms" of Italian language over there. What did you speak as a very young boy?

--Carletto

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Charlie, Italian language evolved from Latin, corrupted by languages 8dialects) of the Italic population starting around 500 AC. This language was called "volgare". In 1300 the Italian language was codified starting from the Florence language. This is a very short story.
Every italian region has its own dialect that different sometimes in a distance of 30-40 km.
My native language was the veronese dialect, the one spoke in town that is slightly different from the south (plain) and north (hills and mountains).
I learned very well (non one spoke in Italians of my relatives :eek: ) of this place where I was born and live
11m4ydz.jpg

In Veneto is the most hard in pronunciation, I'm sorry but it is almost losed. New generations are speaking a very simple and sometimes poor Italian language.

Charlie we are completely off topic, so I think the best is change our way to communicate
Giuseppe Borsalino see us with quite angry eyes :D

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Back to the thread. Last news about Borsalino situation
He was arrested on Friday in Lugano, after six months on the run, Marco Marenco, the entrepreneur from Asti former owner of Borsalino hats historical company and great brand of Made in Italy. 59 year old hung on a international arrest warrant for a long series of crimes ranging from bankruptcy to tax evasion scam. According to the indictment was responsible for one of the biggest failures of Italian history after Parmalat: a crash that according to unofficial estimates is worth about 3.5 billion euro. Against him, according to a note of the Cantonal police quoted by Corriere del Ticino, was opened the extradition process.

Marenco was ousted in 2008 by the management company of Alexandria, which had taken the decision-making powers, and had put him in default. The offense is the main bankruptcy implementation, is the thesis of the investigators, turning vast amounts of money of his companies (he was also a member of some energy companies) on offshore accounts in tax havens. The investigation had been opened by Customs of Alexandria, who discovered an evasion of over 300 million Euros on excise duty on gas by Metanprogetti.

Today the Borsalino is facing 22 million of debt and a dispute over 16 million with the Inland Revenue. The Board aims to give in rent the company to the highest bidder and then file the request for an arrangement with creditors and prepare its plan to be submitted to creditors for homologous. Meanwhile the factory continues to produce.

tommyK

One Too Many
This thread prompted my to take a trip to Bencraft and buy a modern Borsalino Alessandria. Show a little support.
7c9fb472-3d0d-4746-a952-3f9c984ded24_zps1sgarlcl.jpg
8e423bd7-b96d-474e-b759-3efc1a3bc093_zps0hzk6kte.jpg
I might even buy another one.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I am not worried about the company itself. What is happening now is that they are looking for a new owner. Now that the current owner has been found, the courts will be able to fix the mix that has unfolded in Italy.
What I can say is that Borsalino doesn't have the problem of a lack of business. They are quite busy. Its the financial side that needs to be fixed.

tommyK

One Too Many
I also just purchased a Borsalino Alessandria today. I like their style.

Me too, Thundercolt. It's similar to the vintage Stratoliners.
9de11a89-717b-4678-bac2-8c4cb8ab3d82_zpsumf1qqvs.jpg
seen here next to my vintage Strat

Eight different colors for the Alessandria at Bencraft and I've found it pays to ask because they sometimes have colors not on the website. I got a Film from them in the Whiskey color that they don't advertise.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Me too, Thundercolt. It's similar to the vintage Stratoliners.
View attachment 28637
seen here next to my vintage Strat

Eight different colors for the Alessandria at Bencraft and I've found it pays to ask because they sometimes have colors not on the website. I got a Film from them in the Whiskey color that they don't advertise.

I'm literally sitting here shaking my head at how beautiful those pieces are

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
Yes, Stetson is right. Too bad. I bought a new Stetson a couple of years ago, and while it's all right for a little over a hundred bucks, it's a far cry from some of my vintage hats. Also stiff. At the same time, I bought a panama from them and it was not only stiff, but began to come apart at the tip of the crown (and no I don't handle hats by the crown). I ended up taking it to the Goodwill. I'm expecting an Akubra Stylemaster tomorrow and have hope. I've heard good things about akubra. Also I picked up a roughout leather hat from South Africa. It's a Rogue and everyone thinks it's an Ahtback hat from Australia. I like it on windy days because it's heavy and solid enough to withstand everything but a hurricane.

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I meant to say that I got hold of a used Borsalino fedora a couple of years ago too. Don't know how old it is, but I love it. Excellent quality and very soft. I found it right here in the classifieds.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana