Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino "Pocket" hat in a Small box

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
I have been fascinated with these older Borsalino 'Pocket" hats. I have seen them folded or rolled into that triangular box and sitting outside the box after they have been blocked and or steamed back into shape. And the photos look great.

When I was at Vintage Silhouettes picking up my new hat last week I was talking to Art about them and he said "do you want to see one". He pulled out one of those cool boxes and pulled out a rolled up hat. I was surprises. It felt like a thin felt handkerchief. There was little if any form and it was really all pretty loose. I could not imagine how you would ever get this to look like a good fedora.

So.... was that a one of that Art had. Or do people spray stiffener on them so they hold their form better. I am confused.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've had a few ... never rolled them though

I don't believe they were meant to be kept or stored in those boxes or even meant to be rolled much

pretty sure they were more like souvenirs for tourists

Alan has a bunch I believe

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a very good idea for a thread. I've been wondering about this for awhile but haven't seen anything I liked and didn't know if they held up. I've been using a cap when I travel.

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
The reason I am asking is that I have found one at a store and it has the triangular box and it looks feather weight. But I was expecting a grosgrain band but its leather. Makes me think someone had a feather weight and an old box and matched the two

As Moon says, Alan has several of them and yes, many do have leather sweatbands. According to Alan, they were packed in the boxes for ease of packing for tourists who wanted a Borsalino to take home. They weren't meant to be kept in the boxes after you took them out.

I passed on buying one at an antique shop a few months ago, as it wasn't my size and (at the time) I thought it was a little steep. Turns out it could have been resale fodder, though.

Live 'n learn!

The Borsalino Pocket Hat with grosgrain sweatband has shown up here several times. Here is the one I own. European Borsalinos hats in the trapezoidal shaped boxes that were purchased in Italy after the war are not uncommon. There are many examples in the Borsalino brotherhood. I have a number of them. I don't believe that any of them were worn prior to my ownership. Removing the wrinkles from 60+ years in a coffin takes some work. I would not recommend rolling them again.

RJR

Hat-Borsalino-Folded.jpg

Here's another but it'll take work to make it presentable.

Edward

Bartender
Christy's have been making one forever - they call it the Foldaway Trilby (American Loungers might consider it a stingy brim fedora, early 50s style) - https://www.christys-hats.com/foldaway . I have a vintage version somewhere (sadly much-mauled by carpet beetles that got to it). These ones came with a fabric headband (I believe still do). They can be folded into a tube similar to a Panama. Like a Panama, I would say they would have a shorter life if folded and unfolded very regularly. Where they do excel, though, is in being packed in a suitcase the way you might pack a wool cap (or any "crushable wool" brimmed hat), and pop back into shape perfectly. A thinner (but still quality) furfelt that can easily be shaped by hand. I'd think nothing of packing one in a suitcase for a work trip (socks and underwear stuffed in the crown, slip it between some shirts and such so the contents keep it roughly in shape) and not worrying about it the way I might a 'regular' furfelt fedora. I'm on the lookout for a couple more of the Christy ones if I can find them used.

RJR

Christy's have been making one forever - they call it the Foldaway Trilby (American Loungers might consider it a stingy brim fedora, early 50s style) - https://www.christys-hats.com/foldaway . I have a vintage version somewhere (sadly much-mauled by carpet beetles that got to it). These ones came with a fabric headband (I believe still do). They can be folded into a tube similar to a Panama. Like a Panama, I would say they would have a shorter life if folded and unfolded very regularly. Where they do excel, though, is in being packed in a suitcase the way you might pack a wool cap (or any "crushable wool" brimmed hat), and pop back into shape perfectly. A thinner (but still quality) furfelt that can easily be shaped by hand. I'd think nothing of packing one in a suitcase for a work trip (socks and underwear stuffed in the crown, slip it between some shirts and such so the contents keep it roughly in shape) and not worrying about it the way I might a 'regular' furfelt fedora. I'm on the lookout for a couple more of the Christy ones if I can find them used.
Hat-Christy's-Foldaway-Burma 1.jpg
One of my Christys.

I dig the Borso just for the box. Looks like the hat is in need of some serious help. I believe they called them "Coffin" Borsalinos. I read somewhere here on the lounge that they were popular with tourists so they could pack them in their luggage for the trip home. There is a dedicated thread I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran