Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Bound

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I'm heading up to Boston for the weekend -25th class (college) reunion!

Going to wear my spectators (two pairs, one black, one brown) and bring my balibuntal as well as my straw boater. Dinner one night at Davis Square, drinks at the Oak Bar in the Copley Hotel as well.

But I really want to try one of Speed's hot dogs. Where exactly is Newmarket Square? I heard it is just off Mass Avenue. How far is it from Back Bay?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A bit of housekeeping, I moved this to the OB so you might get more responses. If you want to add some photos and a report of your trip later, I'll move it back.

Now, on to your topic, I had to look up where New Market Square is. Evidentally, it's in Roxbury, which is a part of Boston I have never set foot in, and only drive through on my way to "Bobby's." It's not the best neighborhood, but I would probably travel anywhere for a good hot dog. It is indeed off of Mass Ave, beyond walking distance of the Back Bay, but you could take a cab.

I love The Oak Bar. Have a wonderful time there.

If anyone knows anything else about Speed's or New Market Square, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Have a wonderful trip.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
All I know is that Newmarket Square is pretty industrial and the only time I've gone there is to get my car from a tow lot. It's around where Melnea Cass Blvd crosses Mass Ave. Not a great part of town.

I've never heard of Speed's. Everyone I know goes to Spike's Junkyard Dogs for a good hotdog. There's one in Davis Sq and another in Allston - overall much safer, more interesting parts of town!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never heard of Speeds either, but after looking up the address, I'd suggest you might want to skip the dog. Not the best area. Definitely not an area you'd want to stand out in, so if you do go I'd suggest you dress as inconspiculously as possible.

I'll second Kitty's suggestion for Spike's. I live very close to the one in Allston, and go there for "cheap good eats" as the Phantom Gourmet of Boston says. Also if you do venture into the Allston area, just a little over one block up from Spikes is Boston Bean Town Dogs. Although I'm a Spike's fan (they originated in my hometown of Cranston Rhode Island), I actually think I like BeanTown a bit better. They have many different types of dogs to choose, anything from wienies to kosher all beef (these are actually the best). They serve them on a toasted buttered hot dog bun, verses spikes rolls which are a bit too bready for a hot dog. Their toppings are great, their the only place I know of around here that has sweet pickle relish that's actually good. So if you do venture out to Allston I'd recommend Beantown. They also have great baked beans. Neither place has a lot of seating, but beantown does have a few tables more than Spikes. Either one you choose you can't go wrong, and you'll actually live to eat your hot dog!! I can't guarantee that if you venture out to Ma Cass Blvd..:eek:

I hope you enjoy your stay in Boston. Enjoy the Oak Bar, it's really a fantastic place, probably the best bar in Boston. Might I also suggest stopping by Legal Seafood's for some chowder and if you like oysters they have the best. Right now in Harvard Square at their Charles Hotel location they have an outdoor oyster bar set up. It's a great place to take a quick break for some bloody mary's and Wellfleet's.

Have a safe trip, colleg reunion's are always fun. My 10 year is this weekend, but I'll be missing it. Enjoy catching up with all of your old friends:)
Please feel free to ask any more questions about Boston and things to do:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Here's some info I found online:

Speeds hot dog truck (need to know – is this guy back yet? Or Try Mama Teresa’s Home Kitchen)
New Market Square is in Roxbury.
Just off the Mass Avenue exit from the 93.
Once you get off the exit, it is a left hand turn down Mass Ave and another left turn (actually more of a stay to the left than an actual turn). New Market Square is then on your right. This is the meat packing/distribution area for Boston, so that is what you are looking for. If you stay on Mass Ave and pass the Victoria Diner, you missed it.
They are right across from Graingers, 54 Newmarket Square, Roxbury – if he is there it may only be open Wed Thur and Friday afternoons.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Well, after leaving my sunny, 82 degree weather behind, I arrived in Beantown on Thursday, May 18th to be greeted by rain and 51 degree temperatures. Not good, considering, I had packed for warm spring, bringing only two straw hats (I was sorry I had left my fedora behind) and spectator shoes.

Speeds Hot Dogs, which some aficionados consider the best in the country, was not open so I missed out there. However, we did visit the Oak Bar.

OakBar4.jpg

Outside is a sign, "proper dress required." I was a little surprised to see more than a few jeans and sweatshirts, as well as two guys who looked like they just got off the assembly line at work. Despite this, the music was good, and they did a good job with my signature cocktail, a Corpse Reviver Number 2.

I was up for my 25th class reunion (college). Unfortunately, I have put on a few pounds since those days. The night before the reunion, I met with three of my best friends from those days for dinner.

Reunionclothing.jpg

After dinner (Elephant Walk, in Cambridge) we headed for Harvard Square. You can't go home again - Harvard Square, which in my day was a collection of offbeat, funky, independent stores and all sorts of great restaurants, has subcumbed to the malling of America. Gap, Pizza chains, and other establishments, the same as can be found in any city, had crowded out the occupants of my youth - the Wursthaus, 33 Dunster Street, the Oxford Bar, Ferdinand's, Formaggio's, Cardell's cafeteria - even the old Harvard Square Movie theater was gone, taken over by an AMC theater franchise. Gone too were the used bookstores I used to frequent, and the independent records stores.

Still there, however, was Casablanca - a great place for food and drink in my day. The murals give it a "vintage" feel, though it is probably only 30 years old or so. We had a couple of drinks there while chatting about old times, and caught up with where our lives have taken us.

HarvardSquare09.jpg

Fridaydinner7.jpg

Fridaydinner6.jpg

Casablancamural.jpg

The next day, more rain, forcing the cocktail hour of the reunion to be moved indoors. A disappointment, because I had planned to wear my straw boater - what other hat would you wear to a class reunion?!!
I did keep it on for this shot.

ReunionGroup2.jpg

Despite the horrible weather, we still had a good time. The only downside is the whole weekend was a concrete reminder about the March of Time. Where the hell did those 25 years go??

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Forgot to ask - I stayed at a small hotel on Newbury Street the first night - on the same block was a place called "Daisy Buchanan's."

Any connection, Daisy?

panamag8or

Practically Family
Shanghailander said:
Forgot to ask - I stayed at a small hotel on Newbury Street the first night - on the same block was a place called "Daisy Buchanan's."

Any connection, Daisy?

What?!:eek:
She opened up her vintage place and didn't tell us!:rage:

Seriously, it sounds like you had fun. I've never been to Boston, it's one of the things on my "list".

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Shanghailander said:
Ferdinand's, Formaggio's, Cardell's cafeteria - even the old Harvard Square Movie theater was gone, taken over by an AMC theater franchise. Gone too were the used bookstores I used to frequent, and the independent records stores.

Well at least that AMC theater does show quite a few independent films, and the Brattle is right down the street.

They recently put in an IHOP in Harvard Sq. A lot of people are furious about it. I'm sure the students are because it's not open 24 and then, what's the point?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shanghailander said:

Any connection, Daisy?

Ha! You noticed!! Golly, I wish the name belonged to me, and that instead of it being a rowdy, kind of cheesy sports bar, it was my very own vintage shoppe. And Newbury street of all places!! I wish!!

I honestly don't know why there is a bar called Daisy Buchanan's. I took the name from "The Great Gatsby", one of my favorite books. I think the bar took it from there as well, but with bars, you really never can tell!!

Although the weather was bad, it looks like you had a good time. Yes, Harvard Sq. has really changed. There are still the small independent stores, just not nearly as many of them. "Out of Town News and Ticketing" has been there for decades, and IMO is the best news stand in the state (shameless plug for the family business:eek:).
The Casablanca place looks very cool, I've never heard of it before which is odd given the amount of time I spend in Harvard Sq.
Glad you liked the Oak Bar. It really is an incredible setting!!

Well, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. You should come up for the Boston event towards the end of June. It's sure to be a grand time, and the weather will be nice!! (I figured if I keep wishing that the weather will be nice, it will be by the time the end of June comes around:D)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I was just at Casablanca on Tuesday night--the place was packed to the gills too! Fun place to go, a bit pricey but quality so I suppose it's worth the price. Harvard Square is depressingly corporate now--I don't think its been the same since the got rid of The Tasty about 10 years ago.

Glad you enjoyed your stay--loved your photos, you look so natty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy