Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought my first vintage fedora

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I've wanted one of these darn things since I was a kid. When I was in High School I played the character Nicely, Nicely Johnson in the musical Guys and Dolls and wore 2 fedoras that were loaned to me by some of my Father's buddies. I hated to give them back.

But today I got in the mail my first vintage fedora. It's an Adams Executive (America's famous hatter). It even has the price tag in it: $7.50. Color is a nice gray with a black ribbon and a ribbon edging.

I am wearing it in my avatar there.

Got it from ebay for $40 and I love it.

Anyway, I found this forum today as I was tooling around trying to find out about the Adams hat company. So, anyone have any info on this company?

Duper

Practically Family
Hey Mobile Vulgus. I have the honour of being the 1st to welcome you to the lounge. There is info on just about anything hats here. If you a hat lover you have found your home away from home. I recommend you try the search function available on the main tool bar when you are signed in. You can then use an advanced search to narrow down your field of interest. Have a good time. Check out the FAQ section.

Enjoy!

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge! :eusa_clap

Here's the Adam Hats gallery thread. And here's a template for searching the Lounge.

Sounds (and looks) like a very nice hat! For $40, you got a pretty good deal. Can you post some more pics?

Cheers!

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
BTW, I like your moniker!
Yeah, I thought it up when I was posting a lot in a philosophy forum years ago. It basically means "the great unwashed," or the "mob of common people." I used it as a tweak at all the high falutin' types that looked down their noses at the average, everyday American. Funny thing is, most of them thought my screen name was great because it was Latin. Most didn't have a clue that my screen name was meant to tweak them as elitists! But, I've been using the name ever since the early 1990s so I'm used to it now.

As to my own hat history, I have a lot of pre-1900s era hats. A collection of WWII military hats and helmets, but never picked up a fedora until now. Oh, and I am not big on ball caps in general.

Anyway, that aside, thanks everyone for the welcome and I'll use that search feature to learn about the Adams Hat company.

WTH

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Hey Mobile Vulgus, WELCOME TO THE LOUNGE!!!! Its good to see another fellow Chicago fedora wearer. Your profile says that you wear a size 7-7 1/8, looks like we will be fighting a lot of ebay auctions. lol :)
I just got my second Adam a couple of days ago, I gotta tell ya, they were a great hat company. My Adam is not an executive, but it still has some of the nicest felt that Ive ever seen. Enjoy the lounge, you'll meet some of the greatest people in the world here.

BogartsHat

New in Town
Nice vintage hat, MV and welcome to the forum.

I don't own a vintage hat but I've had my own collection of fedoras since the early 1980s. Several females began wearing them on TV during those years, so they were easier to find in the stores back then. I still see an occasional them on store shelves. We have a great hat store in town that caters to men, but my motto is, "if it fits, wear it", even though I'm not of the male gender. ;)

Now you've got me interested in the "vintage" field. :)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Thanks for more info, folks.

I was asked for some more photos. Here ya go...
adams_01.JPG

adams_02.JPG

adams_03.JPG

adams_04.JPG

adams_05.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Mobile Vulgus said:
Thanks for more info, folks.

I was asked for some more photos. Here ya go...
adams_01.JPG

adams_02.JPG

adams_03.JPG

adams_04.JPG

adams_05.JPG

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap What a beautiful hat. I love the wide gold/tan trimming around the brim. It really compliments the grey felt and the black ribbon. And for 40 bucks too, that was a steal.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey MV, as the upteenth person to say it, welcome to the Lounge!

I think you're going to like it here. A very helpful, courteous, humorous bunch for sure. And yeah, I also want to see those pre-1900 hats!

You look like a classic Chicago guy (and I mean that as a compliment). Great Adam you snagged; I like the brim binding (never saw that color before on grey and wonder why...it works!)

Cheers,
- Bill

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
I like the brim binding (never saw that color before on grey and wonder why...it works!)

Thanks for the welcome, Bill.

As to the binding, I agree that the color is very appealing. That is one of the things that drew me to it. But I am just wondering if it is a result of fading or aging? The upper side is the same color as the lower side, so it isn't sun fading. But is it possible it was darker 50 years ago and has since faded a bit to the lighter, almost tan color?

As to my other hats, I have original toppers, a bowler, cowboy hats, modern ones too, military head gear, a straw boater from the 20s, etc. I have a ton of ball caps from the 1960s to about 1990 that my dad gave me. I even have an original military kepi (1870s). I've always liked hats, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters