Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon Discussion Thread

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thanks!

From various people, I’m hearing that Kirkland comes from good sources and offers very solid and enjoyable bourbons… and the price makes it a really good value. But as you say, it’s not wildly unique or intensely flavored; just solid and dependable. That said, many flinch at the prospect of buying stuff that comes across as sort of generic McBourbon. Probably unfair.

living in Hawaii, this is important because prices on everything are astronomical here. Everyone has Costco membership and uses it, just to make ends meet. On my next Costco run, I’ll probably pick up a bottle. I’ll let you know if it lives up to its reputation.

Last edited:

Turnip

It apoears to have at least a significant higher share of rye in the mashbill so probably some little more spicy than the usual suspects.
Looking forward to reading about your impressions.

Turnip

Some leaving do`s booze...

Yeeha.jpg

WH1

Practically Family
the Jack Daniels bonded is my current go to, that and Sazerac for manhattans. great price points and flavor that is hard to beat. Also enjoying the Stranahan's Sherry Cask single malt, great flavor.

Turnip

The Double Oaked from Woodford might be a nice drink for you then. It’s pretty molasses-ey edge reminded me instantly on a friendly, unsugared British style Rum.

Turnip

Tried the Westland recently, and am not overly impressed to be honest.
At least the american oak version is not really worth the surcharge to a Woodford single malt imho.

It is pretty yummy, and the white oak driven backing band does also play quite loud.
But so is/does the Woodford and the malt plays a more distinguished fiddle there, what is a clear advantage in my book...the plastic screw cap of the Westland is also not an overly impressive entrance.

The Westland selling at 42,- on offer compared to the Woodford sometimes selling under 30,- bucks, RRP for the Westland about 58,- and for the Woodford about 35,- bucks, the Woodford is the clear no brainer here. Everything of course just mho.

WeLa.jpg

Tried the Westland recently, and am not overly impressed to be honest.
At least the american oak version is not really worth the surcharge to a Woodford single malt imho.

It is pretty yummy, and the white oak driven backing band does also play quite loud.
But so is/does the Woodford and the malt plays a more distinguished fiddle there, what is a clear advantage in my book...the plastic screw cap of the Westland is also not an overly impressive entrance.

The Westland selling at 42,- on offer compared to the Woodford sometimes selling under 30,- bucks, RRP for the Westland about 58,- and for the Woodford about 35,- bucks, the Woodford is the clear no brainer here. Everything of course just mho.

WeLa.jpg
Just now seeing this. Thanks for the review. (I hate screw caps also!)

Only in America. Thank goodness I’m Not a judge.
I suppose it can be argued either way.
But —simply because I respect the dignity and tradition of Bourbon— I would probably side with Jack.

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/22/1165445243/supreme-court-jack-daniels
I would most definitely side with Jack Daniels. This dog toy brings nothing new to the market.

“If that ruling is allowed to stand, the company contends, anyone could use a famous trademark to sell sex toys, drinking games or marijuana bongs, while misleading customers and destroying billions of dollars in goodwill — all in the name of just having fun.”

And I would add “all in the name of making money.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot