Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

hPPYs

New in Town
Just found them in my mailbox today.
IMG_3818.jpg

Edward

Bartender
His look is a pastiche. For instance ... the jacket's shoulders are, at the earliest, from the 1930s. The tie's construction is, at the earliest, 1940s-looking. The semi-soft collar, collar pin, and shirt color are appropriate for 1920. (The shirt itself would have probably been made of a soft-sheen silk, rather than the poplin or end-on-end cotton fabric worn by Steve Buscemi. Also, the collar pin would have been worn higher, pushing the tie knot outward.)

Aha! Thank-you. Do you think these were mistakes, or did they throw in these variations to give the effect they wanted visually (while assuming that the average viewer would never notice)? These are the sort of subtle details I'd love to be able to find a good book on...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Aha! Thank-you. Do you think these were mistakes, or did they throw in these variations to give the effect they wanted visually (while assuming that the average viewer would never notice)?

Hard to say. So many factors come into play: the comfort level of the actor (especially if famous) who has to wear the costume; the depth of the designer/costumer's historical knowledge; the designer/costumer's level of commitment to historical fidelity, versus his or her self-interested desire to exercise 'artistic license'; budget, supply, and/or schedule constraints; and the extent to which (American) audiences will accept seeing long-gone, 'weird' fashion details.

Last edited:

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Most every place has bowties now. In the past week I have seen them at:

TJ Max (both thick grosgrain self-tie and thinner silk pretied)
Marshall's (ditto)
JC Penney's (mostly grosgrain self-tie but with some grosgrain pretied too)
Urban Outfitters (all self-tie, surprisingly, and pretty good material, too)
Stein Mart (heavy silk and sateen self-tie)

I'd say darn yes they're making a comeback.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Won this one today on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160630849343&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2194wt_1398

And here are the ones that just arrived.
This one is a thinner variety of silk and a tad larger and holds a bow shape with a little stiffer inner lining.
100_7177.jpg

This blue one is much softer and really feels like silk. Really soft, this one is a more casual tie. Of course I think that this one will go nicely with the black homburg that I had won recently on ebay as well.
100_7178.jpg

Dig on the colors of both and can't wait for any occasion to wear them. Can't wait for the new burgundy one to show up now.:D

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This burgundy one just came in today. So far my favorite color wise. Fabric wise I think the blue one is right up there.
100_7190.jpg

I think I'll have one more in a brown with red geometric pattern if I win it this afternoon. And then I think that will be it for a little while. At least until I spy another gotta have.;) It'll give me some great variety anyway.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy