Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Edward

Bartender
I do believe when I bought my blue bow with white polka dots it was being marketed as a "Churchill dot" bow tie.

-Dave

Yeah, it seems to be a common thing. I imagine it's simply that he is still the "celebrity" face most commonly associated with that particular style. I think his were typically black, but in a B&W photo, who really knows? Similarly, a homberg is often referred to as an "Anthony Eden" by people of a certain age here in England.

SteveAS

Practically Family
So even places like JCP have something decent if you look hard enough. Then again I thought Macy's or even Nordstrom might have something and they were both lacking in their mens departments.

I recently found two nice Haspel bow ties at Filene's Basement and two nice unbranded ones at Burlington Coat Factory for $9.99 and $7.99, respectively. I wonder if these went unsold at places like Macy's and Nordstrom's?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Daniel, cracking looking bows! I especially like the blue polka-dot one. I have one in black (unfortunately this draws the occasional Churchill comment; I despise Churchill, but fortunately such comments don't bother me enough to put me off the tie. I make it look good, of course. ;) ), still looking for a blue.....

Thank you Edward, most appreciated. Yeah, I don't think I'll get the Churchill comment on this side of the pond even if I wear the tie with a Homburg. Too many people over here wouldn't even know who he is so I'm fortunate in that regard. But now I'm on the hunt for a few more to round out the collection. There is one sight called beautiesltd.com out of Vermont that has some real corkers. For formal wear they have one that is a black on black paisley that I've been eyeing called the Solti.
SLTI9832_lrg.jpg

And they have a blue polka dot that you may be interested in Edward.

Cheers!

Dan

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Edward, most appreciated. Yeah, I don't think I'll get the Churchill comment on this side of the pond even if I wear the tie with a Homburg. Too many people over here wouldn't even know who he is so I'm fortunate in that regard. But now I'm on the hunt for a few more to round out the collection. There is one sight called beautiesltd.com out of Vermont that has some real corkers. For formal wear they have one that is a black on black paisley that I've been eyeing called the Solti.
SLTI9832_lrg.jpg

And they have a blue polka dot that you may be interested in Edward.

Cheers!

Dan

Paisley is my favorite.

dustyjohnson10

New in Town
actually it depends what kind of occasion is it. If your not satisfied and I think you should not at all try wearing it in any of the occasions. it all depends on you what you choose for yourself.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Boardwalk Empire completely nailed that era's clothing. The attention to detail is incredible. I would kill to have a suit like Nucky's.

Not completely ... at least not for the male protagonists. (The male extras are another story: many of them are wearing deadstock 1920s suits that were purchased in bulk from a dealer acquaintance of mine.) Some details are way off, but the overall "look" is nicely presented.

Qirrel

Practically Family
Not completely ... at least not for the male protagonists. (The male extras are another story: many of them are wearing deadstock 1920s suits that were purchased in bulk from a dealer acquaintance of mine.) Some details are way off, but the overall "look" is nicely presented.

I noticed some extras who looked like they came by time machine from the 30s. But only a few. What specifically do you think is not correct about the protagonists?

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Daniel, cracking looking bows! I especially like the blue polka-dot one. I have one in black (unfortunately this draws the occasional Churchill comment; I despise Churchill, but fortunately such comments don't bother me enough to put me off the tie. I make it look good, of course. ;) ), still looking for a blue.....

Why would one despise such a hero of culture, war, and national pride?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
What specifically do you think is not correct about the protagonists?

[Nitpicker Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to be as nitpicky about these things as I am. I just felt the need to point out that Fidena's statement ("Boardwalk Empire completely nailed that era's clothing") is not entirely accurate. The error lies in the adverb.]

Okay, here's one example.

Nucky-Thompson-boardwalk-empire-16656275-1600-1200.jpg

For 1920-'21, Nucky's jacket's shoulders extend too far; his jacket sleeves aren't nearly narrow enough; his necktie's inner lining is too thick and too stiff -- it should have a thin, soft flannel strip of lining that wouldn't extend to the tip of the tie. As a result, Nucky's tie knot is too fat -- it should be long, yes, but more like a wrinkly cylinder. His flower's stem is showing; in 1920, especially in America, it would have been pushed through the jacket's boutonniere hole and hidden behind the lapel.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Why would one despise such a hero of culture, war, and national pride?

"National pride" is broadly irrelevant to me in that context - I'm not English; I'm not even British, truly. (I just live there). I'm not going to get into it here (ithas been made clear in the past that WC is one of the 'untouchables' in these parts), but if you do a little reading around about the man you will rapidly discover he was far from a nice person, with many questionable views. For the generation that lived through the war, he was certainly not the spotless hero that the propaganda machine and subsequent generations insist. The fact is, had WW2 not happened and had he not been the leader who defeated Hitler, history would remember him very differently. Something he would no doubt have recognised himself; as he famously said, "History shall be kind to me, for I intend to write it". Let's leave it there before we stray into verboten territory.

[Nitpicker Disclaimer: I don't expect anyone to be as nitpicky about these things as I am. I just felt the need to point out that Fidena's statement ("Boardwalk Empire completely nailed that era's clothing") is not entirely accurate. The error lies in the adverb.]

Okay, here's one example.

Nucky-Thompson-boardwalk-empire-16656275-1600-1200.jpg

For 1920-'21, Nucky's jacket's shoulders extend too far; his jacket sleeves aren't nearly narrow enough; his necktie's inner lining is too thick and too stiff -- it should have a thin, soft flannel strip of lining that wouldn't extend to the tip of the tie. As a result, Nucky's tie knot is too fat -- it should be long, yes, but more like a wrinkly cylinder. His flower's stem is showing; in 1920, especially in America, it would have been pushed through the jacket's boutonniere hole and hidden behind the lapel.

Interesting What period is his look more properly from - later 20s? I'm still at the point myself where I can usually reasonably distinguish decades, but not within decades....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Interesting What period is his look more properly from - later 20s? I'm still at the point myself where I can usually reasonably distinguish decades, but not within decades....

His look is a pastiche. For instance ... the jacket's shoulders are, at the earliest, from the 1930s. The tie's construction is, at the earliest, 1940s-looking. The semi-soft collar, collar pin, and shirt color are appropriate for 1920. (The shirt itself would have probably been made of a soft-sheen silk, rather than the poplin or end-on-end cotton fabric worn by Steve Buscemi. Also, the collar pin would have been worn higher, pushing the tie knot outward.)

Last edited:

TCMfan25

Practically Family
"National pride" is broadly irrelevant to me in that context - I'm not English; I'm not even British, truly. (I just live there). I'm not going to get into it here (ithas been made clear in the past that WC is one of the 'untouchables' in these parts), but if you do a little reading around about the man you will rapidly discover he was far from a nice person, with many questionable views. For the generation that lived through the war, he was certainly not the spotless hero that the propaganda machine and subsequent generations insist. The fact is, had WW2 not happened and had he not been the leader who defeated Hitler, history would remember him very differently. Something he would no doubt have recognised himself; as he famously said, "History shall be kind to me, for I intend to write it". Let's leave it there before we stray into verboten territory.

Well sir, I agree with Churchill's so called "contriversial and questionable views". It is almost as if he foresaw the problems my ethnic homeland and your chosen nation has.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner