Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
IMG_0435-1.jpg

This Friday's Bow Tie Friday bow tie.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Jolly useful article in the UK's Metro newspaper on how to tie a bow tie. I do like the way they have 'reversed' the text so you can read the article via a mirror.

http://twitpic.com/7euhi5#

Neat!

One of my goals for the coming year is to learn to properly tie one; though I have to admit that despite its stigma the pretied still holds a certain place of distinction for me. I recall reading here, and on several other sartorial message boards as well, that bowties tend to undergo more "abuse" during the tying process than regular neckties and so do not last as long, a disappointing prospect to me.

In the meantime I loosen the threads in the backs of my pretieds and fiddle around with them to give them more of a self-tied appearance.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I recall reading here, and on several other sartorial message boards as well, that bowties tend to undergo more "abuse" during the tying process than regular neckties and so do not last as long, a disappointing prospect to me.

That's what I had thought during the learning process, but once I got the hang of it, I have found that the material feels like it undergoes no more stress than a long necktie, and I make my long tie knots pretty tight.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I recall reading here, and on several other sartorial message boards as well, that bowties tend to undergo more "abuse" during the tying process than regular neckties and so do not last as long .
I've never heard that before. Do you have a link to this info?

MisterGrey

Practically Family
It's just something I remember reading here that struck me, since I've got ties I've worn fairly consistently for 10+ years that are still in great shape. A few other members had mentioned the sides of theirs fraying over time because of the general wear-and-tear of tying them. It's been quite a while, so I cannot say for sure who/when. I seem to recall reading it on another clothing forum (Ask Andy, maybe?) but could not tell you if it's just a conflation of multiple posts here.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I've got to replace my christmas tie. Long lost, unfortunately. Probably shouldn't have waited until now. White with broad red stripes (red with white stripes??? zebra conundrum). Looks like a candy cane pattern. If anyone has an idea where to get one, please let me know.

Twill

One of the Regulars
My girlfriend took this picture of me this morning at breakfast. It was a lazy morning as you can tell from my tired eyes and relaxed look and hair. lol.

6401277005_8d48cb9c41.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many

Espee

Practically Family
I've got to replace my christmas tie. Long lost, unfortunately. Probably shouldn't have waited until now. White with broad red stripes (red with white stripes??? zebra conundrum). Looks like a candy cane pattern. If anyone has an idea where to get one, please let me know.
-----
I didn't find a match at mainebows.com (I looked under Christmas, and Stripes.)
But for candy fans, there is a Peppermint Stripe... "warm pinks" and white.

Magister

Familiar Face
I scored several unremarkable but nice looking silk bow ties off Ebay, which came recently. These are my first freestyle ones; I had picked up some pretied ones awhile ago when first experimenting with them, but it is time to remove the training wheels. I have figured out how to tie them, but I am not especially quick about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner