Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Boo Boo Bear

83866-boo_boo_bear.jpg

Espee

Practically Family
There's a new large-format book celebrating the 75th anniversary of LIFE magazine, and in the dressed-up group photo of the original seven astronauts of the Mercury program, John Glenn is the only one in a bow tie.
(In my opinion it's probably better that Gus Grissom didn't wear a bow, because with his crew cut, people might have mistaken him for TV personality Garry Moore.)

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
This is my first bow tie. I purchased it today from Brooks Brothers. I should be in a 19, and it is an 18, but it was comfortable enough. BTW, that is a Art Fawcett Fedora that I am proudly wearing.

photo.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had recently purchased a couple of new bow ties off ebay. Not vintage, but new silk. I wore one to a party this past Saturday night, and I was disappointed in the tie. It didn't have enough structural integrity to stay sticking-out, and kind of sagged a bit. I was not happy.

Espee

Practically Family
Lately T.J. Maxx has had Haspells for $7.99 and Countess Maras for $9.99. Now I've seen a Hickey Freeman for $24.99!
I'll admit it had the most striking pattern of the bunch-- houndstooth, black and light blue, with a bit of silver at the edge of the blue. It reminded me of something I saw in a video game, a long time ago.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have to ask this question. Does anyone else out there receive odd looks when wearing their bow ties? I went to dinner last night, wearing some jeans/sports coat/fedora and tie, and it was like I was gushing blood. My sister laughs every time i wear a tie. I just want to know if it is just me, or a regular occurrence.

Dan'l

Practically Family
^^^
I’ve noticed that most people give approving looks when I wear a bow tie. I’ve only noticed a couple of “questionable” looks and in each case they appeared to be high school aged girls, just an observation.

Magister

Familiar Face
I work at a girls' high school and I have taken to wearing bow ties daily. The girls overwhelmingly approve.

Here's a question. Would you wear a bow tie to a job interview? Is it too much? A distraction?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I have to ask this question. Does anyone else out there receive odd looks when wearing their bow ties? I went to dinner last night, wearing some jeans/sports coat/fedora and tie, and it was like I was gushing blood. My sister laughs every time i wear a tie. I just want to know if it is just me, or a regular occurrence.

I do not recall getting an "odd" look when wearing a bow tie. Folks unused to bow ties will ask about it, but always in a positive way. Complements almost always attend the wearing of the tie...

Edward

Bartender

Honestly, I'm sure I do (I did notice some children laughing at my trousers one day a few months ago), but for the most part I'm blissfully unaware of what the normals think of me..... and I care less. For the most part anyone who speaks is enormously complimentary. Just today, I had one of the Chinese students I am currently teaching in Beijing engage me in conversation following a passing remark I made about buying fedoras online. Turns out he's into much of what we are on here. Funny how some things exist the world over. The (very rare) negative comment is typically met with some sharp response from me.

I work at a girls' high school and I have taken to wearing bow ties daily. The girls overwhelmingly approve.

Here's a question. Would you wear a bow tie to a job interview? Is it too much? A distraction?

Probably wouldn't.... depends on the job, really. If I was interviewing for a place on Jermyn Street, yes I would, but in most business contexts it is the sort of thing too in danger of being misinterpreted as "look at me! I'm different and whacky!". There are times to push the boundaries, but an interview isn't one of them, IMO.

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have two ties from Beau Ties Ltd and am looking forward to December 26th. Thats the day I can see if I can buy more ties, or if someone got them for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner