Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowlers making a comback?

theinterchange

One Too Many
No offense to any bowler fans out there, but I really hope they don't come back into fashion... some things are better left in the past and only worn by the diehards who really have a passion for them.

So many of us don't care fore punks in fashion fedoras, I can only imagine what someone wearing a "fashion" bowler would look like... :eek:

Randy

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Like this?

article-1098290-02DAA97D000005DC-712_224x423.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
What I don't like about 'em

What I don't like about a bowler is (at least on me) there is no effective way to tilt it for that rakish look. I am not a fan of settling hats right down equally above the ears and worn flat. I like a tilt and I've never had a bowler that wants to stay at a tilt.

I kind of like them, have a couple of vintage ones and a nice light brown modern one. Now, I wouldn't wear them routinely, maybe for a special function, costume or vintage outfit. I do think some can look quite snappy depending on the wearer and clothing choices. I doubt they'll make a huge comeback any more than fedoras have. I would also dread some of the modern styles that could appear, given some of the ugly modern fedoras I've seen.:eek:

Dinerman said:
Pity no one can make them right anymore.

There are a small number who can. John McMicking in Canada still can but you start at $250-275 per bowler. You can have it made to fit you perfectly and choose brim width and crown height. That is worth something. I was going to order one a while back but it got put on the back burner. I'll have to see if I still have his contact information. A Cambridge Bowler would be nice.
I found the contact info again:
L & H Hats
Proprietor: John McMicking
179 Melville St.
Dundas, Ontario
Canada L9M2A9
Phone: (905) 627-7492

He can make any type of hat happen for you from what I understand. In fact, he says:

Custom-made hats and caps for men and women individually hand made using equipment, methods and materials that pre-date the mid-19th Century industrial revolution. Subject to availability, can make anything in felt, straw, or cloth. Will do any period hats. Contact for details/prices and free catalog.
[huh]

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
If it happens, this will be a trend that passes me by. I have one bowler (a nearly mint 1930 Stetson) and it fits perfectly. But I do not look good wearing it - or it doesn't look good wearing me.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
This trend is confirmed by brisk sales for Derbies at Optimo. I've even witnessed 3 pick-ups in recent visits.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I kind of like how bowlers look on a lot of people, but they're not my preference. Aesthetically, I prefer a hat that can be creased; fedora, homburg, cowboy hat, etcetera...

I would enjoy seeing a bowler comeback though.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Bowlers do...

...seem to do well with the modern world in the sense they are pretty trim and don't get in the way as much as other types of hats, bump headrests, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari