Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BR N-1 jacket 'Seawater-wash' question

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
I got myself a nice Buzz Rickson N-1 deck jacket in their 'seawater wash' finish for a very good price on eBay and it just arrived in the post this morning. I need some feedback please as to whether these 'seawater' jackets should have a strong smell? It hit me as I opened the box and initially I thought it was tobacco smell which having never been a smoker really effects me, but before I ask the seller if he was a heavy smoker I thought I'd ask if anyone knows here. It wasn't listed as having any odours, stains, etc and really looks almost unworn. I am hoping if it is part of their 'seawater' treatment then it will fade with time.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Paul
If I recall correctly, my N-1 seawater wash did have a stronger aroma than the corresponding regular N-1.
I can't tell you whether it fades - I couldn't get on with the incredibly itchy lining and had to trade it for a regular BR N-1 instead (which is a keeper for me).
Hope it fades for you.
Cheers
Ian

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Thank you Ian, I did wonder as they must use some chemicals in addition to salt water to get that finish, the alpaca lining doesn't really smell which I thought would if it was due to smoking. I haven't found the lining itchy so far and I tried it on in short sleeves so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran