Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brave Star Selvage -

CBI

One Too Many
Maybe a different place to post than "Outerwear" but I wanted to do a shout out to/for:

Affordable Selvedge Denim | Brave Star Selvage Jeans Factory

US Made, frequently used Cone Mills denim (not for much longer since Cone Mills is closing) but really high-end selvage for MUCH less than lots of the premier brands. Makes for an affordable option. Once broken in, these are probably indistinguishable from jeans 2-3-4 times the price. I am just a member here on FL, not a Brave Star rep!!! They keep costs down and one of the ways is minimal stock so lots of items get sold out quickly.

BobJ

Practically Family
Pay attention to the sizing though, an XXL jacket is going to fit like a 44, which I just found out to my dismay.

CBI

One Too Many
they have a 21 oz pre-order jean I tried to get but the allotment was full even before a shipment. Getting 18.5 oz Been happy with others from their line

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Checked out there site. Really amazing price point for what appears to be a good quality product. Really wish I was in the market for denim. Right now I have a pair of Immogene and Willy that need some aggressive wear time. That said, i feel like I should be hording cone mills.

Ton312 i see what you did there. Greetings from 773

How are the fits?
They all seem to be based off of skinny styles. The slim-straight is off 511s? Not 514s?
Very interesting- I might try to visit. I won't do another internet jean purchase sight unseen.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
The best online denim sales business model i've seen came from the now defunct RPM West. You ordered your size, and they sent you that plus one size bigger and one size smaller. Keep the pair you like, mail (free) the other 2 back.

I did notice that their more relaxed style is based off of the 511 which is as slim as i'd wear.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Bit frustrated with those folks. Bought several chinos and loved them. Their 21oz denims have been sold out since late June. Bummer as the price and fit are quite good!
I would be too. I don't understand why they wouldn't keep all of that in stock. They are quite popular and for good reason. My only guess is that they are short on fabric?!

Sonero

Practically Family
Been on a selvage kick lately trying all the known companies .

Ordered a Slim Straight 22oz from Brave Star 38 X 30. The hem came in at 29.5 and they forgot to add the extra inch due to the jeans being un sanforized. They mention they due this automatically. Fit was like a Gap Slim Straight...taper from knee down more roomy at the hips and thigh.

I fought with them about the short hem and they did the right thing by issuing me different jeans and refunding the difference.

The denim quality for the 21oz is beastly. I love it. I was heartbroken that the inseam was too short. The downside is the wash and copper color thread used makes this jean strictly play/casual wear. The look of the denim doesn't allow itself to work with a blazer and dress shoes if you like to wear jeans like that but for the price I was impressed.

These are good knock around jeans.

Ordering jeans online takes REALLY good customer service guiding you through the process. Ask questions and send photos before ordering. Ideally send them a pair of jeans that fit you with a pre paid return envelope.

CBI

One Too Many
I have ordered 4 pairs from them and have been happy with everything, have worn more formally. I have had other higher priced makers but the jeans were never worth the price IMO.

HOWEVER......I have really moved away from "heritage denim" altogether preferring more traditional brands. I hate to admit it on this forum but I love my skinny jeans!!!!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometimes I hate this place! I clicked on this thread yesterday having never heard of Brave Star selvage and within half an hour I had ordered their version of the Lee Rider Jean jacket. Looks to be quite nice, and the price was right. I own the Iron Heart version of this jacket and it will be interesting to see how the two stack up against one another.

Sonero

Practically Family
Sometimes I hate this place! I clicked on this thread yesterday having never heard of Brave Star selvage and within half an hour I had ordered their version of the Lee Rider Jean jacket. Looks to be quite nice, and the price was right. I own the Iron Heart version of this jacket and it will be interesting to see how the two stack up against one another.

I have the same IH Jacket as you. I think you also own a Ciano Farmer type 3 ?

I passed on the Bravestar due to it being Slub Denim. I am not so fond of the marks it leaves.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sonero,
You are correct. I have a Ciano Farmer type 3 with horse blanket lining and it is my nicest jean jacket so far.
I have been pretty lucky with my denim in that I have not had much color transfer or rub off on to my other clothing and furniture. Hopefully this jacket will behave accordingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy