Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Break Out the Board Games!

GOK

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Lost Cities looks excellent! How is it played?

It is excellent! The aim of the game is to mount expeditions to find ancient treasures/civilisations (pyramids, atlantis etc). In order to do this you ideally need funding but it's not strictly necessary. Each Lost City has three funding cards (which multiply your profit by 2x, 3x & 4x), plus nine expedition cards, which give between two and ten points. The cost of each trip is 20 points, so you need your cards to total more than this. Anything over 20 points is counted up and the mulitplyers (if any) are added, giving you your total.

Once you have started an expedition, it is counted, so it's bad luck if you don't get far, especially if you've laid multiplyers as these then count against you (you could end up with negative numbers).

It's a very easy and fun game to play. I really like Corsari too, which is another card game but with pirates! Aaarrr!! lol

I wasn't familiar with Ludo, either; that looks like a lot of fun, too. I looked it up on Wikipedia, which led me to Pachisi, the orginal form of Parcheesi. That is also intriguing. How different from Parchessi is Ludo?

Ludo appears to be a simpler version of parchesi, although that isn't to say that it's not tactical. It can be quite evil if you have a mind to it! :D

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
There's a game of Uno Spin going on in the kitchen right now.

Me, I'm in the office "working". That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I used to play Mah Jongg every Sunday with my parents when I was little. I would love to play again, not sure I can exactly remember how to play but I'm sure it would come back to me. We had a lovely antique set with *gasp* :eek: real ivory tiles.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Board Games

This thread got me thinking about the game closet in the house where I grew up. My folks were big on card games. The neighbors came over for Pinochle pretty frequently. I learned that games like Fish and Solitaire don't work well with a Pinochle deck.

We didn't have Monopoly. We had a game called Big Business. I found it listed at the Board Game Geek website. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4927) What a surprise to see links to eBay where they're selling this game!

We also played Tripoley and Pokeno, which I enjoyed.

I know I'm running long, but I have one more game story.

My great-grandfather loved to play dominoes. One day when he was 80 or so, I went to the retirement home where he lived to take him out for a drive. He wasn't in his room. When I asked around, nobody seemed to know where he was, but some faces made me doubt I had the whole story. Finally, one of the nurses reported seeing him in Mrs. so-and-so's room.

When I got to Mrs. so-and-so's room, I found them playing dominoes. We exchanged pleasantries and headed for the car. As I opened the passenger door, I noticed a lipstick mark on my great-grandfather's cheek. All I could say was, "Right on, grandpa!"

The moral of the story is be sure to take up dominoes before you get too old.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
What about the game Life? Used to play it all the time, and recently re-discovered it during a family beach trip. Fun game!!

olive bleu

One Too Many
we have piles of board games at my house and i am thrilled that my thoroughly modern videogame loving kids also adore them!

I know a lot of people that love trivial pursuit but i personally loathe it. I have no recall ability and spend the evening going, "OH,OH, I know that!! Just wait! It's right on the tip of my tongue!!"

One of my personal favourites is RISK and i used to play it with my Uncle for about 7 hours straight, and now one of my kids has been bitten as well. I love games of stategy.

Of course card games are equally fun and My dear Mother-in-Law, before she died, taught my 2 sons how to play blackjack.So now, that is our New Years Eve tradition...Lots of Potato chips & pizza, cases of rootbeer and all the pennies you can win!lol

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Can't believe no one has these. I have almost all of them.

Target offers these "Bookshelf Editions" of TONS of classic games. They are in a wooden box that holds everything inside with a nice slide cover and they look like books when stored on a shelf.

The Target by us has them from $15.99 to $54.99 depending on the game some are more expensive then others.

The Monopoly for instance has all the old "retro" peices and all the "Chance" and "Community Chest" cards are aged and the Hotels and Houses are just Red and Green peices of square wood.

B000AFESIU.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

B000AFESJ4.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

They even have some games I've never heard of:

B0002KVI5Y.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

This one looks REALLY COOL:
B000HCRHTS.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_V61471560_.jpg

Here is the main link to the Target page with all the games available.
http://www.target.com/gp/browse.htm...4_1/601-8090513-4185732?ie=UTF8&node=15745411

I know it got me all excited about board games again. Enjoy

Yours in Adventure-
JX

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
ITG said:
Apples to Apples (more of a card game), dominoes, and Balderdash & Beyond are 3 faves around my house.

Ditto on the Apples to Apples, dominoes and Balderdash, ITG!

I love board games! Every Sunday in my house, we would play a board game. One of the family favorites was Parcheesi--I never see that around any more.
And of course Monopoly and other flash in the pan games.

And my grandmother taught us to play a card game called Pokeno. I've never heard of it other than in my house.

My grandmother used to get together with a bunch of her friends from her club, the Do Si Ki's (some pseudo sorority she made up with her girlfriends in the 1940s, but they stayed together for fifty years) to play Penucle. No idea how to play that one.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Miss Dottie said:
My grandmother used to get together with a bunch of her friends from her club, the Do Si Ki's (some pseudo sorority she made up with her girlfriends in the 1940s, but they stayed together for fifty years) to play Penucle.

Wonderful! I love stories like that. A very small group of gentleman I have known since childhood tried to think up a name for ourselves but never did. Rather like The Chowder Society from Ghost Story.

Buck

New in Town
When I was small, I loved playing Risk and Mille Borne with my sister. As a family, we often played Hearts or Spades after dinner. ( I know...no board)

I found Mille Bourne recently, but they've "updated" the graphics:mad: Perhaps I'll find an older version on the 'bay.

Now our family enjoys Scattergories and Kid's Monopoly. I've played Boggle before, and really enjoyed that as well.

Novella

Practically Family
Last family gathering was Tribond, and some sort of Tribond party game, along with Trivial Pursuit. My personal favorite is Clue. Although not a board game, all sorts of family members are fond of texas hold 'em.

Foofoogal

Banned
I love a mean plain old checkers game. seems no one ever wants to play though.

Maybe I like hearing Crown me...:moony:

I really like this icon..:D

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE boardgames and X-mas is always the time to play in my family.

We usually play an assortment each night: Scrabble, Backgammon, Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, cards, etc. However, the family's favourite is Crokinole! I love that one, so much fun. Now where did my piece go? Ooops! Ouch me fingers!
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy