Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Break Out the Board Games!

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
I really want to pick up a Scrabble game. I haven't played in years, and I'm looking for something for the mister and I to do that doesn't involve television. Another game I enjoy that's a bit older is Shut the Box-- it's a colonial era dice game.

rue

Lately we've been playing Loaded Questions with the neighbors and a few other couples. The answers can get really raunchy and we're not even playing the adult version. :wink:
We also have game night once or twice a month with the kids and play Scrabble, Apples to Apples or a random card game like B.S. Which stands for something :censored:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hubby and I love Scrabble. My daughter loves Monopoly, and I played her once and she beat me fair and square (she was only 9 at the time).

Show me the money!
Monopoly009.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really enjoy Trivial Pursuit, although the newer versions aren't very thrilling (DVD, Wii). We also play Apples to Apples and some of the guys enjoy Texas Hold 'Em.

Undertow

Lately we've been playing Loaded Questions with the neighbors and a few other couples. The answers can get really raunchy and we're not even playing the adult version. :wink:
We also have game night once or twice a month with the kids and play Scrabble, Apples to Apples or a random card game like B.S. Which stands for something :censored:

BS? Oh, Bovine Scatology? Of course, that's a good one! ;)

Btw, is that Loaded Questions pretty fun? My lady and I go out to her sister's on the weekends and play games, and I was thinking about picking this one up. What's the game like?

rue

BS? Oh, Bovine Scatology? Of course, that's a good one! ;)

Btw, is that Loaded Questions pretty fun? My lady and I go out to her sister's on the weekends and play games, and I was thinking about picking this one up. What's the game like?

Bovine Scatology? Yep that would be it lol

Loaded Questions is a blast! We forgo the board though and just have fun trying to figure out who gave what answer to what question. Basically, someone picks a question on a card and everyone writes down what they think the best answer is, for example: "What is the one thing that you wouldn't do?", everyone writes their answer down and everyone goes around the table trying to figure out who answered what. The answers are the funniest part, especially when you figured out who wrote what and depending on how sick minded or risque everyone gets. Alcohol is usually involved when we play so it gets pretty bad :eeek:

Undertow

I saw Apples to Apples today in the store and wondered about it. Is it fun?

Foofoo, Like Rue said, you have a number of red cards with nouns, objects, people, places, etc. Play rotates around the table clockwise (min. 4 players) and whoever has their turn flips a green card in the middle. The green card is always an adjective like cool, vivacious, wise, silly, etc.

Everyone (except the person who flipped the green card) chooses a red card that best fits the green card (so a person/place that best fits the description) and sets it face down in the middle. The person who flipped the green card then picks a red card that they think fits the best. Whoever laid the card that gets picked scores one point (usually they hold on to the green card). Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins. It's safe for kids and can also be a ton of fun for adults.

Rue, I think I will buy the LQ game - it sounds kinda like an adult Apples to Apples. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

JimWagner

Practically Family

Mahjong!

There was a national craze for it in the 1920's.

My wife is Chinese and Mahjong is what we all play when we get together with her side of the family. My mother-in-law is in her 90's and regularly wipes up the table with the rest of us.

When our grandkids visit it's likely to be Candyland at this point. Or Cootie.

rue

Foofoo, Like Rue said, you have a number of red cards with nouns, objects, people, places, etc. Play rotates around the table clockwise (min. 4 players) and whoever has their turn flips a green card in the middle. The green card is always an adjective like cool, vivacious, wise, silly, etc.

Everyone (except the person who flipped the green card) chooses a red card that best fits the green card (so a person/place that best fits the description) and sets it face down in the middle. The person who flipped the green card then picks a red card that they think fits the best. Whoever laid the card that gets picked scores one point (usually they hold on to the green card). Whoever has the most points at the end of the game wins. It's safe for kids and can also be a ton of fun for adults.

Rue, I think I will buy the LQ game - it sounds kinda like an adult Apples to Apples. :) Thanks for the recommendation.

Thank you for explaining it better than I did lol I have such a hard time with explanations :eusa_doh:

I hope you enjoy the LQ game as much as we do :)

MariantheLibrarian

Familiar Face
If youre gonna buy a Scrabble game, get one of the more deluxe editions with the individual notched rectangles for the letters on the board. Keeps everything tidy.

I really love those. I'm trying to keep the old William Morris principle in mind when acquiring new stuff: Have nothing in your house that you do not believe to beautiful or know to be useful.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
With the family around the game of choice seems to be Apples to Apples, especially when there has been a few drinks. It gets pretty darn hilarious. :D Not quite a board game, but plenty of fun.

Cheers!

Dan

Foofoogal

Banned
Thank you all for the explanation on the Apples game. I will have to pick one up.
We like puzzles also. I know a very elderly lady who has done hundreds of puzzles and then seals them to last forever.
Fun to find one she likes.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
We like playing BEZZERWIZZER - a game developed by some danes, and much, much more fun and more tactical than Trivial Pursuit.
Stratego ( Called Attack in the good old days)is also popular.
And when my son and some of his friends are in the house, it's Axis and Allies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran