Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British Police

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Stumbled across this fascinating Public Information film the other day. The Man On The Beat.

What amazed me was that this was made in 1945 (the same time my Grandfather was in the Metropolitan Police). Now I joined 'The Job' in 1993, and I wore virtually the same unifom (including wooden truncheon), tunic, tall hat etc. AND NO HIGH VIZ JACKETS!! God, how I hate High Viz stuff! Its scruffy and awful! The only difference being a personal radio! The trousers has a special long pocket on the right where the truncheon lived. Handcuffs lived in a pouch on your belt. NO guns, NO pepper spray, No stab vest!
I performed foot patrol (which was excellent!) whenever I could. But lack of Officer numbers and the modern world always seemed to interrupt this.

I just thought I would post it, as the training they undergo in the film is all but identical to the training I received.......with very minor differences!
And yes, the Oath to Her Majesty the Queen is still taken. Keep politics out of Policing! God save the Queen! :yo:

Dubya.

[video=vimeo;39330776]http://vimeo.com/39330776[/video]

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I really wish that beat-cops would return to the streets. It's hard to believe that the government is doing all it can to "prevent crime" when there aren't any physical signs of it.

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
There are no hi-vis vest in the police force in this county.

Instead it's a hi-vis stab-proof vest worn over a black polo shirt.

Paramilitary, unfriendly, and now scruffy.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
There are no hi-vis vest in the police force in this county.

Instead it's a hi-vis stab-proof vest worn over a black polo shirt.

Paramilitary, unfriendly, and now scruffy.

No, the new uniforms are not as elegant, but are far more practical, durable and comfortable. I know, I wear Kevlar everyday, by the time you have several pounds of radios, cuffs, pepper spray, flash light, Taser, gun and magazines hanging on you, you need all the help you can get!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy