Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Great Gatsby Collection

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i agree. i guarantee that if the clothes we desire were plentiful and easily available, most of us obsessive types would lose interest and move onto something else that required the detective work.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hm I am between the chairs here. I would like to see a comeback high waisted (and wide legged) trousers because I would wear them everyday AND it would be more aesthetically pleasing to see less b*ttcracks in public. No kidding. Well tailored suit jackets and sport coats with balanced (golden era-ish) proportions? Why yes.

There would be still enough fun in hunting rare vintage items like sports suits and fancy backs. I recently took an interest into vintage sportswear (and bombed resortes805 with questions) There is still a lot to discover.

The solution for me is to support small repro brands who put a lot of effort into the details. Maybe "they aren't getting rich off it" but that is only one reason more why they deserve my money instead of Brooks Brothers or some other spineless slave to the modern market. Not that I have the budget for BB anyway. :eusa_doh:

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Hm I am between the chairs here. I would like to see a comeback high waisted (and wide legged) trousers because I would wear them everyday AND it would be more aesthetically pleasing to see less b*ttcracks in public. No kidding. Well tailored suit jackets and sport coats with balanced (golden era-ish) proportions? Why yes.

There would be still enough fun in hunting rare vintage items like sports suits and fancy backs. I recently took an interest into vintage sportswear (and bombed resortes805 with questions) There is still a lot to discover.

The solution for me is to support small repro brands who put a lot of effort into the details. Maybe "they aren't getting rich off it" but that is only one reason more why they deserve my money instead of Brooks Brothers or some other spineless slave to the modern market. Not that I have the budget for BB anyway. :eusa_doh:

I second that emotion. If only they weren't so far away...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
The solution for me is to support small repro brands who put a lot of effort into the details. Maybe "they aren't getting rich off it" but that is only one reason more why they deserve my money instead of Brooks Brothers or some other spineless slave to the modern market. Not that I have the budget for BB anyway.

thing is, it's only the niche brands like Old Town, Mr. Freedom, Reversible Costume etc who will get the details right because they're the ones who care about that stuff. the BB '20s' line is weak because no one there is really that bothered about the 20s, so it's just a half hearted pass. next season it will be a half hearted pass at the '40s' look.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Old Town, Mr. Freedom, Reversible Costume get it because that is their business. Brooks Brothers is in the business of selling main stream clothing to the average Joe on the street. Old Town, Mr. Freedom, Reversible Costume and the like exist to sell to people that are interested in the details of the clothing. The average Joe could care less. An would not pay the price of a Mr. Freedom shirt as Joe says it's a shirt why pay 300 dollars for a shirt.

Tommy

One of the Regulars
Let me put it another way. The jackets designs look sharp. If I were to buy, I would order a size that would end up 'suiting' my preference (or rule) to cover my A**! :).

Yes but if it is the only rule he knows don't confuse him too much.
Since it us not allowed to criticize the great Gatsby wardrobe department or Brooks brothers we should just find a new hobby. One that is less critical and more positive.

Last edited:

Tommy

One of the Regulars
I am similar in build (long waist and relatively short legs), and attempted the same solution for awhile, but my height (6'2") worked against that theory for me. I was just not happy with the result. But that's me and my preference, to each his own.

Exactly. I am always surprised when I see German vintage jackets, to find how short they are compared to British jackets. At first I thought 'must have been for a short man' but since (I believe) mid 20th century Germans were on average a couple of inches taller than Brits, then I would expect to find the jackts are longer. But they are usually short.

It doesn't bother me: I have short legs and a long body, so
a shorter jacket and high waisted trousers helps to even out my proportions.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure i would want the shops to be full of the clothes I want to buy. I agree that it takes the fun out of it.

However, i would like the shops to be full of good quality stylish suits. All I ask is a waistband that isn't too low and a waistcoat that covers the waistband. I often see blokes walking around in suits, making a real effort, but the style of suits - with that horrible gap between waistcoat and trouser - ruins it all. If only those blokes could have better suits, i would be happy. Leaving me to find the stuff i want.

Metatron

One Too Many
Hm I am between the chairs here. I would like to see a comeback high waisted (and wide legged) trousers because I would wear them everyday AND it would be more aesthetically pleasing to see less b*ttcracks in public. No kidding.
:eusa_doh:

I agree 100%. I think for example wide legs and pleats, fine, they aren't for everyone. But higher waists are a must, and the visible b*ttcrack thing simply has to stop, :p

Anyway, sorry for the slight OT.
I certainly don't complain when I find a reasonably authentic vintage inspired piece on the highstreet. If there is a popular aesthetic that I enjoy, I should want to be part of it.

Last edited:

wsc

New in Town
I can't find reversible costume on the web to check them out, the others I know but would like to see what they offer. Do you have a link?
Thanks

Benny Holiday

As Wiser Hatter points out, BB are in the business of selling mainstream threads to Joe Squarejohn, so which of the said mass-market-consuming nuff nuffs are gonna buy a boater??????!!!!!!!!

Benny Holiday

Heh, I guess stranger things have happened FFF. To quote the great Fats Waller, "One never knows, do one?" Then again, the US of A is a long way from here. Wearing a fedora gets you weird looks and snide comments. Wearing a boater would get you set upon by half a dozen hoods hanging around the street replete with knives and the odd large stick, so it's a REAL long way from mainstream in this neck of the woods.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Kazuki-san's online shop is here: http://adjustable.cart.fc2.com/. However, those in English speaking countries may find it easier to buy Adjustable Costume items through John Lofgren's Speedshop. I purchased a couple of shawl collar sweater vest that I am waiting to arrive in the mail.

Dick Ireland

Familiar Face
also, i'm an elitist snob... the last thing i want is to see 20s-30s-40s clothes available in Top Man. i like the fact that it's a niche, cultish interest and we have to work a bit harder to find modern equivalents, or make our own, start our own labels etc.

I'd be thrilled.

Standing out doesn't appeal to me; it's just the price I pay for dressing in the mode of a more stylish time.

If everyone dressed that way, I'd have my cake and I could eat it, too!

cpdv

One of the Regulars
If you want a suit cut right do the research on original ads and patterns and get a good tailor or seamstress and choose your own fabric and have one made. And with the straw boater the only excuse I need to wear one is if it's sunny and over 60 out. Wide leg trousers...yuck I personally don't care for the cut of pants from 1925 on. ( I know i'll be eaten alive by the golden age of the 30s chaps) slim jackets that flatter your body and narrow trousers a la 1919 is the look I like. I'm sure i'll horrify people with my double breasted navy blue linen jazz suit when it's finished but go bold or go home. After all we all stick out in the mass of ripped jeans, sneakers and t-shirts.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
If money were no object, there would be plenty from this collection that I may consider wearing. I like the style, even if it isn't completely accurate. Even if it's a movie tie-in, I think it's cool that they're exposing people to these options.

If you want a suit cut right do the research on original ads and patterns and get a good tailor or seamstress and choose your own fabric and have one made. And with the straw boater the only excuse I need to wear one is if it's sunny and over 60 out. Wide leg trousers...yuck I personally don't care for the cut of pants from 1925 on. ( I know i'll be eaten alive by the golden age of the 30s chaps) slim jackets that flatter your body and narrow trousers a la 1919 is the look I like. I'm sure i'll horrify people with my double breasted navy blue linen jazz suit when it's finished but go bold or go home. After all we all stick out in the mass of ripped jeans, sneakers and t-shirts.

I agree, wide legged trousers isn't my style. I understand that many on this forum like them, and that is fine. A suit with wide-legged trousers in my eyes can still be sharp and elegant, but I prefer to wear slimmer pants. I really like the late 1910s and early half of the '20s styles of suits, even the jazz suit is cool. I've seen images of early '20s style suits, and many of them seem to have more than no break at the ankles, which is a look I don't care to emulate with my modern clothes, but it is a style I can appreciate as a certain look. From what I've seen, those late '10s and early '20s suits wouldn't be far out of line for passing as modern-day fashionable suits, yet they are cut better than the too tight look that's common now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails