Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Great Gatsby Collection

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
reminds me of the more standard Ralph Lauren lines (not RRL); take some elements of an era but graft them onto a modern cut.

MM00243_BURGUNDY_1

DamianM

Vendor
Its something Past RRL has covered actually with there awesome suits.

If BB would actually go through there archive and re-release 20-40s suits it would be amazing

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Alot of stuff is off the mark, but here's what I do like!
Shawl collar knit sweater,
MS00364_GREEN

boaters!
MT00120_NATURAL-NAVY-RED_G
MT00121_TAN-BLUE_G

wingtip bucks!
MH00325_WHITE_G

art deco print vest and bowtie
MZ00015_BLACK_G
MA01273_BLACK_G

and my favorite style of suspender (braces)
MV00072_BLACK_G

panzerfan

New in Town
Yay or nay on the linen suit? Seems too narrow of lapels, were they like that in the 20's?

I am really enticed by the high waisted trousers, both in linen and brown.

Looks like a direct copy of the movie's suit:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The trousers on the "model photo" are modern low-rise. The jacket looks good for 1920's (lapels are fine) - but the gorge is a bit too high, which "pulls up" the lapel peaks too strongly.

I frankly wouldn't have use for any of the outer garments shown at BB. The sweater, shoes, shirts and braces are useable though.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The shoes look great. I think part of the problem is that the modern fabrics just don't work. The don't look robust enough.

To me they don't look much different to modern suits (mixed with nice accessories). Someone has said "They wore trousers short in the 1920s - make them shorter."

Nice try, but no thanks.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The low rise trousers and the modern shoulders bug me the most. I also think for early 20s the buttons should be higher and closer together?

Here is a rough two minute fix.

brooksbrosgatsby.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Alot of stuff is off the mark, but here's what I do like!
Shawl collar knit sweater,
MS00364_GREEN

That's the thing I'd pick up. At $148, the price is about right, also.

And those braces.

But the low rise pants? Brooks, of all people, should know better. A bad compromise. It makes me fear that the movie is going to be a hash of Mad Men meets Valentino.

Edward

Bartender
I find the collection very tasteful, a lot better than most RTW these days... Only problem is that some of the jackets look very short, IMO.

Wasn't that a 20s thing, though? To my eye, it's not the jackets being too short, it's that damned modern low waist...

wingtip bucks!
MH00325_WHITE_G

Those jumped right out at me. I'd love a pair.

The shoes look great. I think part of the problem is that the modern fabrics just don't work. The don't look robust enough.

To me they don't look much different to modern suits (mixed with nice accessories). Someone has said "They wore trousers short in the 1920s - make them shorter."

Nice try, but no thanks.

They remind me of when I went on a school trip to Paris, in June 1988. All the cool Parisenne fashion set seemed to be wearing their trousers 3-4" too short at the time. Vile. It really does have the look of a modern collection trying to be vintage without scaring the horses, and falling hard between two stools as a result. The jackets look quite nice, but I could never abide trousers with a waist as low as this (nor, for that matter, am I a fan of how stupidly over-long modern ties are.... I regularly have to have five or six inches cut off mine to break away from the binary of knot the size of your own head or tie hanging past your crotch).

Look at this, dreadful:

MM00238_LIGHT-BROWN_G

It is such a shame because I honestly believe if a big name house had the balls to do a truly vintage cut suit, it would sell. One does wodner how many customes they lose because these folks have seen a really cool suit on screen, then find the suit being sold in the shop is like any old brown fedora being sold as an "Indy" hat.

The low rise trousers and the modern shoulders bug me the most. I also think for early 20s the buttons should be higher and closer together?

Here is a rough two minute fix.

brooksbrosgatsby.jpg

That looks infinitely better. I would prefer a wider leg in the trousers, but that's to my own preference for a later period's styles. Still, a high waist would be very nice indeed.

DamianM

Vendor
You forgot Boardwalk Empire.

How could I have forgotten!

But all jokes aside The items Resortes pointed out are really the best part of the line.
Sadly its the accessories only plus the Attainable in price shawl collar.

If they actually went back and re-released suits from there archives it would be something, but one could wish.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If they actually went back and re-released suits from there archives it would be something, but one could wish.

BB pretent the kinda did that (only they didn't). They had the costume designer take a short look at the archives. Apparently she didn't understand what she saw or forgot everything once she walked out.

Look at page for of the slideshow under collaboration. Look at them damn shoulders. How blind must one be to show them next to each other and not noticing this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner