Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Build it and they will come?

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
So I just got few things from the local Home Depot so I can build my first block. I'm very excited to learn and experience the birth of my own hat someday.
Now that I'm getting to start my little project, I come across a couple of blocks in my size and currently pretty cheap (see the build it, and they will come?lol )

So, my question is, should I continue to build my own and forget about buying used? I'm not really out any money from buying supplies, so no need to worry/ask about that. Is building your own block some sort of rite of passage that I must go through at some point if i want to work with my own hats?

Thanks for any input

GWD

One Too Many
If you have the talent and the know how, I say build it then build another one!
Get good at it, then build me one! I'm looking for a 5-7 1/8-52 :D

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
ha ha
don't know if I have a talent for it or not. I may absolutely love building a block or I may end of up throwing a half finished piece of wood across the room saying words that would make a sailor blushlol :D lol

Well, MDphoto, what's the upshot? Did you buy a used block or two? If so, what are the particulars? You know, the size and height and style? (Like the stuff GWD was alluding to in his post -- he wants a 5-inch tall, size 7 1/8, No. 52 block.) I ask 'cuz if the blocks are at all desirable, and you got them at a reasonable price, I'm confident you could find someone around here to see to it you at least recovered your costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW