Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bulldog Drummond

I have gotten to see 3 different movies that are part of the Bulldog Drummond franchise. The ones I have seen are fairly early films where while these are talking pictures they don't use much music as background to create an emotional response. The copies on DVD are not fabulous restored films but they tend to be with those really cheap dvds in the cheapo bin. I have seen some at Frye's Electronic store in their cheapo bin.

The stories are usually funny and the characters are interesting in the Ecentric 1930's British gentleman type of way. The men's clothing are fabulous: great suits, tuxedos, higher business dress, tweeds,overcoats and fedoras on the men. Also some interesting working man wear and classic seedy and tough guy henchmen looks. The women tend to be equally fabulous in style and grace.

These films seem to be set in Great Britain and have a tremendous British flair to them. (Makes me think of how the East Coast old money rich families tended to effect English mannerisms and style of speech in that time period.)

The three I have seen are:
Bulldog Drummond Escapes with Ray Milland as Drummond
Bulldog Drummond Comes Back John Howard as Drummond
Bulldog Drummond's Peril Howard again.

The last two also have John Barrymore as the Inspector.

The second one has the death trap where the villains are so sure that it will work, they leave and there is the inevitable escape ala Austin Powers Doctor Evil explanation.

Kidnapping for a variety of reasons is a big thing in these pictures. These are in a way a shadowy portent of James Bond. Plus, just think how many James Bond pix has somebody being held by the bad guys?

Anyone else catch these pictures?

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think I have the same ones as you. Much fun. I think John Howard is the best Bulldog Drummond, as much as I like Ray Milland.
The first Bulldog Drummond talkie starred Ronald Coleman, who must have been great. I've seen another early one (I looked on IMDB but couldn't figure out which it was), and I must say, the Bulldog Drummond character is not a very nice chap. I think this is how the character is drawn in the original novels. He's a bit of a Fascist and racist. The later films clean him up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn