Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buttoning the vest

Highlander

A-List Customer
Back to the old debate. Should I button the bottom button of my vest.

I recall going to the haberdashers back in the '70's buying a few suits. One had a straight lined 5 button vest and the shop owner told me, "always button the bottom button of a 5 button vest". The other suit had a six button vest that had the last button/button hole on the vest curved down from the line of button/holes. He then said, "never button the bottom button on a six button vest"

I've always held to that theme. While fitting for a wedding tux the other day the young man at the store said, "always leave the bottom button unbuttoned"...

Just wondering thoughts on this???

Thanks,

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
As your story suggests, I think it's more about the cut of the vest than the number of buttons. If the last button on the vest is, as you say, placed where the vest is curving into the points so that buttoning it creates peculiar wrinkles, then leave it unbuttoned. If the button is along the line of the other buttons, and can be buttoned without marring the look of the vest, the choice is yours. Rules about vest buttoning are about as arbitrary as rules about jacket buttoning. Personally, I also take my trouser rise into account. If leaving the bottom button undone means that my waistband is visible, or my tie, or God forbid, my shirt, then I button it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The "rule" changes by the decade, as with buttoning the bottom button on a suit. As with that, it really boils down to the cut.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
I think that it also depends on how long the waistcoat is. I always leave the last button unbuttoned, regardless of the cut, if it is below my natural waistline because I find it to be uncomfortable and restricting if buttoned.

If the last button, however, is above my natural waist, then I might button it if the cut allows it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I wear vests all the time. I've never bothered with this rule. I button them all, all the time. But then, most of my vests are 5-button ones. Buttoning four and leaving one undone looks sloppy. If you ARE going to follow this rule - and there isn't really a reason why you shouldn't - then it really looks (and works) better with vests with six or more buttons. Otherwise, I honestly wouldn't bother following it.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Formality . . .

Formality also comes in to the equation. All buttons should be buttoned for formal occasions, especially when in morning, dinner, or full dress. Also, double-breasted waistcoats look 'off' when not completely done up.

When dressing casually, however, feel free to button it as you wish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran