Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a new (non vintage) hat and need advice. Camdraft or Stratoliner or ?

lauro13

One of the Regulars
I would like to get a new hat of the shelf for everyday use and something that unlike a vintage hat I wouldn't have to be that careful with since I could easily replace and I'd like to spend not much more than $125. I have a vintage Stratoliner that I love and was looking for something along those lines. I researched a bit and saw that the new Stratoliner has a shorter crown height which is what appeals to me since the vintage one I have is as high as I wan't to go since any bigger doesn't fit my facial proportions. The Camdraft from what I read seems like a better quality item and it's what I'm leaning towards though I'm not sure how much higher the crown is as compared to the vintage Strat. Also, if there are other similar choices that might work please let me know. And lastly, I'm aware of this so I don't want to turn this into a debate over how the new Stratoliner doesn't share much if any aesthetic qualities to the vintage one.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Campdraft is somewhat of a bigger hat, but IIRC, it's only about 1/8" taller than the average Open Road/Strat. It's sure to be of higher quality as well.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Or you can have a custom one made from Winchester rabbit felt for $150, not too far above your budget from Mike Miller at WWW.northwesthats.com

He uses a #52 hat block which is very similar to the vintage Stetson Stratoliners. You can dictate exactly the brim width and crown height you want. Just another option for you to consider.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats