Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying an ipod

Rob

Familiar Face
Salv said:
A charger isn't included - what you get is a USB 2.0 cable and an adaptor for the Universal Dock, not the Dock itself. Out of the box you can only charge a new iPod from your computer using the USB 2.0 cable. If you want to charge a new iPod and you don't have access to a computer you'll need an iPod USB Power Adaptor

lm_altview_m9837lla.jpg
Interesting... see, when I got my 20GB iPod, it had a charger in the box, very similar to the one in the picture there. Are they now skimping on putting chargers in with the units?

S

Samsa

Rob said:
Interesting... see, when I got my 20GB iPod, it had a charger in the box, very similar to the one in the picture there. Are they now skimping on putting chargers in with the units?

The only thing included with the iPod I purchased was a set of ear buds and a USB cable to connect it to the computer. The battery is charged through the USB cable.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Samsa
The only thing included with the iPod I purchased was a set of ear buds and a USB cable to connect it to the computer. The battery is charged through the USB cable.

Ditto

Salv

One Too Many
I think the 3rd generation iPods from 2003/2004 - the ones with the row of buttons above the scroll wheel - were the last ones to have the charger included in the box.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
4th gen had them too, along with a firewire cable.

I miss the firewire. Syncing now uses a ton of processor cycles.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Firewire transfers for my 1st Gen 5G iPod seem much faster then those I have observed with newer machines and USB2. A step backward.

So: Touch, or Classic. What do we want?

S

Samsa

scotrace said:
Firewire transfers for my 1st Gen 5G iPod seem much faster then those I have observed with newer machines and USB2. A step backward.

So: Touch, or Classic. What do we want?

Classic. I don't understand why people want to shell out the money for the iPod Touch, seeing as how the maximum capacity for those is 16GB. The 8GB model is $299; for fifty dollars less than that you can get the 80GB Classic. The 16GB one goes for $399; for that much money you can buy the 8GB iPhone. Seems simple to me.[huh]

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Well its a competitor with palm type devices that dont have phones either....thats why ;)

If I were replacing my palm, I would switch...wi-fi...etc.....and still some space for music.

as an ipod only...of course not...but as a 'multifunction' device....its much cooler then a palm...

Granted...I am still using a 3rd gen 20 gig ipod....which cannot be replaced until it dies....(those are the Rules)......and despite having been dropped onto a moving treadmill about 8 times...it keeps working.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm not entirely sure 'what' an ipod is...

That might shock you, but I have never handled one or seen one work. I have seen the pictures of them and seen some in a glass cabinet and they look very minimalist, but I have no idea about them [huh] Are they like a modern walkman? (please don't laugh!![huh] I just haven't been in contact with any!).

BellyTank said:
I've seen the 'old' 20Gbs going for really cheap- that's a deal- if you don't need 30 and video... that was all.

Isn't it amazing how many people own iPods?

B
T

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paddy,

They are like a small portable hard drive for music.

You store music on them digitally and then yes, it functions like a walkman. Newer models can show videos or movies or stored tv shows as well.

Mine, which has 20 gig storage capacity probably has the eqivalent of 50 or more CDs worth of music on it at the moment.

So all the music I have can be brought with me to listen to in the car, or at work when I am data-base working...etc...

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just amazing!

All this new gagetry! I just cannot keep abreast of it all, that's a lot of music to have on a little piece of plastic. I'm amazed.

Salv

One Too Many
I'll be getting a Touch, even though my 3rd generation 40GB iPod still works perfectly. The Touch has all the features of the iPhone that I'll actually find useful: music, video, photos, wifi web browsing, calendar, address book. I have just over 25GB of music on my Mac so the 16GB Touch will only hold a fraction of the entire library. But I only ever listen to music in random/shuffle mode so I'll just fill a Touch with random tracks. What I most like is the bigger screen, which will finally make photo and video viewing comfortable on a hand-held, pocket-sized device.

towndrunk

New in Town
Samsa said:
Classic. I don't understand why people want to shell out the money for the iPod Touch, seeing as how the maximum capacity for those is 16GB. The 8GB model is $299; for fifty dollars less than that you can get the 80GB Classic. The 16GB one goes for $399; for that much money you can buy the 8GB iPhone. Seems simple to me.[huh]

the difference is simple and somewhat important. the 8 and 16 GB ipods are flash memory as opposed to an actual hard drive. the obvious advantage a hard drive has over flash is space. the hard drive is basically a mini version hard drive like what's inside your computer. the flash drive while light on space, makes up in spades for speed, energy consumption, weight and durability.

no, you can't carry 1500 complete cd's on an 8 GB ipod, but you can drop it, toss it, or strap it to a jackhammer for an 8 hour shift. (no moving parts)
the battery lasts three to four times that of a hard drive. (no moving parts)

personally I can't wait to get an ASUS Eee PC. it's a 7 inch laptop with either an 8GB or 16GB hard drive. It weighs 2 Lbs.
01425sz1i16187800.jpg

S

Samsa

towndrunk said:
the difference is simple and somewhat important. the 8 and 16 GB ipods are flash memory as opposed to an actual hard drive. the obvious advantage a hard drive has over flash is space. the hard drive is basically a mini version hard drive like what's inside your computer. the flash drive while light on space, makes up in spades for speed, energy consumption, weight and durability.

no, you can't carry 1500 complete cd's on an 8 GB ipod, but you can drop it, toss it, or strap it to a jackhammer for an 8 hour shift. (no moving parts)
the battery lasts three to four times that of a hard drive. (no moving parts)

personally I can't wait to get an ASUS Eee PC. it's a 7 inch laptop with either an 8GB or 16GB hard drive. It weighs 2 Lbs.

I knew the Touch used flash memory, but didn't know the benefits. That makes a little more sense for people who don't want their entire libraries on an iPod. I, however, am rather music obsessed, so the idea of not being able to listen any song I have in my car bothers me - especially at that price.

S

Samsa

For those considering a Touch - apparently there's a widespread problem with the screen. Not all screens have the defect, but a significant portion do...something to do with the manufacturer of the LCD screen. Here's a link to a discussion of the problem.

Edward

Bartender
Samsa said:

Towndrunk covers it well in his post, but I agree with you that for those of us who don't need the "sporty" benefits of flash memory, the idea of not spending the little extra and getting the bigger drive doesn't make sense. Flash will of course get bigger over time.... I don't jog or any of that, so for me it wouldn't make any sense at all. I like the idea of the bigger screen that the Touch allows for video etc, but if you were gonig to use it for video applications, the memory will get eaten up very quickly. What I want is really something that will be a Walkman which I can have my entire CD collection on for portability purposes. I collect CDs and vinyl, so I'd never want to buy downloads (for all sorts of other reasons as well, including 'political'). But the iPod type devices are just soooooo much more convenient than the old days of a cassette Walkman!

I currently have a Creative / Nomad Zen MP£ player which i bought in 04.... primitive now, but back then it was around USD100 equiv cheaper than the top of the range iPod, which was only 40GB to its 60. I was planning to treat myself this year to one of the 80gig video pods, but now I want the 160GB Classic. :)

PADDY said:
All this new gagetry! I just cannot keep abreast of it all, that's a lot of music to have on a little piece of plastic. I'm amazed.

Incredible, isn't it? Compared to what I started computing on in the mid 80s.... Heck, a basic mobile phone handset these days is a more powerful computer than was used to send three men to the moon in 1969.... blows the mind, doesn't it?

towndrunk said:
01425sz1i16187800.jpg

oohhhhhhh! Pretty! No replacement for a "proper" laptop, but I can certainly see me finding ample use for one of those "as well as."

Pilgrim said:
It has taken some fiddling because I'm working around Sony's music software and defaults (both of which stink) but it's functional.

Pssst..... don't mention this too widely. You're actually in violation of the DMCA by doing that, and technically open to criminal prosecution, I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner