Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C-141's

Or, if the engineering diagrams still exist, the tooling could be redesigned from scratch--got CNC and CAD?:D

Whole lot more complex than a 1911 .45 like I'm redesigning, but if we can find the blueprints and a crashed specimen to recover... and I envisioned "mechanical simplification" as part of the redesign process, before we move forward of the firewalls.

On for a little "archaeological expedition", Kilroy? I'm thinking first we consult the records for planes that never made it home, then try to ID possibles that went down in "preservation-friendly" areas... I know Mid-Atlantic has a crash-recovered '61 off of Cyclops Mountain they're restoring to flight status, so maybe it could work again...

As for "upgrading a classic to survive the modern world", one word: B-52. Need I say more?

Bear in mind, Kilroy, the BUFF is mostly WWII tech, until you get to the engine nacelles...

Apples to oranges, though--we're talking about trying to build a durable CAS bird, not a high-altitude bomber. Primary threat is optically-aimed IR SAMS or flak, and IIRC pistons are better on hiding from IR than turbines.

So, first we need to define our need and our tactics: the Hawg only lays down a "line" of lead, an "Invader 21" could create more of a "spread" with its .50s. How do we get the Stinger-guys and flak-dealers to keep their heads down, and dodge the Golden-BB effect?

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
On for a little "archaeological expedition", Kilroy? I'm thinking first we consult the records for planes that never made it home, then try to ID possibles that went down in "preservation-friendly" areas... I know Mid-Atlantic has a crash-recovered '61 off of Cyclops Mountain they're restoring to flight status, so maybe it could work again...
The P-61 by the way, is making great progress. Regarding an archaeological expedition, most surviving wrecks/hulks are pretty well documented, and if there was a legal way to recover them they would have done so by now. When I say legal way, the government of PNG exercises right of ownership of relics there, and generally will not barter them unless you are willing to give them something they want. In Mid Atlantic's case, it took many years of negotiation, and in the end PNG got a flyable Stearman PT-17 Kaydet for their national museum.
The best source for now (and has been for about 15 years) are the Russian Steppes. Quite a few rara avis have returned from that region.

Okay, maybe diving gear's required--deepwater salvage. OTOH, I think Stalin got some Invaders, there may still be a few out there as candidates for restoration (long as it's gotta come apart for repair, might as well do the RE at the sme time, right?)... I know of a '61 possibly for sale in China, but there are grave concerns about its structural integrity. Some experts think it'll fall apart as soon as the tow-bar's hooked up...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Diamondback said:
Okay, maybe diving gear's required--deepwater salvage. OTOH, I think Stalin got some Invaders, there may still be a few out there as candidates for restoration (long as it's gotta come apart for repair, might as well do the RE at the sme time, right?)... I know of a '61 possibly for sale in China, but there are grave concerns about its structural integrity. Some experts think it'll fall apart as soon as the tow-bar's hooked up...
Absolutely right, that '61 is in grave condition, and the institute in Beijing that has it will sell it to anyone who wants to pay them the $3 million they're supposedly asking for it. Then it's up to the buyer to collect it. That '61 is a "C" model (like the ones in the USAF Museum and the NASM). The '61 Mid Atlantic Air Museum (MAAM) has is the sole surviving "B" model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany