Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californian Brandy

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I was given this little book recently as a birthday present:

califroniabrandybook.jpg

I have never had any California Brandy, and it is rather difficult to find it in the UK.

What are people's thoughts? How doe sit compare to the french stuff (Brandy not Congac or Armangac.

Cody Pendant

One of the Regulars
Fire water Cali style

I am not a Brandy snob (I mean that in a good connoisseur way) by any stretch of the imagination, but I will give my opinion.
California Brandy's have been around since the Spanish explorers and Missions were founded there in the 1700's or so, and I would say are in more of the Spanish / Mexican Brandy flavor vein as opposed to the French type, (go figure) if that means anything to you. There are a wide variety of flavors but for the most part I would say that they are cleaner, less woody and lighter than a French Brandy.
The book you have is a self promotional industry item and would be an attempt to get Americans to use the Brandy product more in their drinking. That explains the use as a "mixer" in cocktails and drinks as opposed to the traditional "snifter" type of drinking with a cigar you may be used to with the French Brandy's and Cognac's.

You should be able to find some offerings in the U.K. such as the brand's Korbel (heaver), or Christian Brothers (lighter) (both lower end) or Germain-Robin XO (more expensive/ delicious) as representative of the Cali Brandy's as your pocketbook allows.

Cheers,
Cody

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Many thanks for your tips, I had come to a similar conclusion about mixing. A nice mixing brandy would be a treat.
It makes sense that there are a few gems too :).

I shall look out for these brands, as of yet, no trace of them online but if anyone in the UK knows otherwise please let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo