Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californians Please check in!

Doc.Freddy

New in Town
USMC Camp Pendleton

I live on base (Camp Pendleton) Mon-Fri and sometimes on the weekend, but when im not on duty I travel back to the Ghettos of Los Angeles. I was raised in Gardena, Ca 90247.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Another multi-generation California native checking in. I currently reside in "RPV adjacent" San Pedro.

Actually, one of my mom's ancestors arrived in California in 1579, with Sir Francis Drake, although he went back to his wife in England.

The rest of the family didn't start showing up until at least the gold rush. ;)

My grandparents met at the Rendevous Ballroom in Balboa.
:)

Tourbillion said:
Another multi-generation California native checking in. I currently reside in "RPV adjacent" San Pedro.

Actually, one of my mom's ancestors arrived in California in 1579, with Sir Francis Drake, although he went back to his wife in England.

Incredible! Three native Californians whose families have been here longer than 100 years. We need a couple hundred more and we could have a "Native Sons" type organization. ;) It really is a completely different experience as a multi-generation Californian. You can really see the differences over time. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Tourbillion

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Incredible! Three native Californians whose families have been here longer than 100 years. We need a couple hundred more and we could have a "Native Sons" type organization. ;) It really is a completely different experience as a multi-generation Californian. You can really see the differences over time. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Hm, There is Native Daughters of the Golden West, they have a Native Sons group too.

Even so, I can't find the documentation on my ancestors early enough to join the Native Daughters organization. There's a grave in Sonoma from 1873, but you have to prove that they were in residence before 1870. I haven't been able to find any bonafide records of her before 1869. C'est la vie.

I've actually met quite a few California natives. I once had dinner with the elderly Mary Wilshire and her family (of the Wilshire Blvd. Wilshire's). They used to own the land from the La Brea tar pits to the Ocean in Santa Monica along what is now Wilshire Blvd.

I also know a guy from one of the Olvera st. families (who speaks no Spanish).

We're out there, it is just that so many people have moved in.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Jack Scorpion said:
Same. Birth on.

I went to the same high school GREASE was filmed at. Not Ridell High. Venice High. It is, however, quite the differenty demographic from Grease, as Rundquist insinuated. 60-70% latino or so. So, yah, holms.

Yeah, but are the kids hair still greased?:D

Tourbillion said:
Hm, There is Native Daughters of the Golden West, they have a Native Sons group too.

We're out there, it is just that so many people have moved in.

I think I might have heard of that group. 1870 might be a bit far back though I could probably find documentation. I would be happy with just three generations. Their membership must be pretty small. ;)
Yeah, my summation would be that too many people have moved in. :p

Regards,

J

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I LOVE YOUR AVATAR

filmnoirphotos said:
Grew up in the SF bay area, settled in Livermore....guess it was a good idea.

Im a HUGE Mike Peters fan, so Grimmy in a trench is mega rad!

I was born in Memphis, raised in Louisville (our fam has been there for over 120 years) and had to FIND MYSELF.

Ive lived in SF for 3 years now. The Tinderloin, baby! Talk about some real vintage history ;)

LD

Haversack

One Too Many
Born in San Luis Obispo
Grew up in Sacramento
Live in San Francisco
Work in Silicon Valley

Fifth generation Californian back to '49 if you trace the right line back on my mother's side. Mostly miners and ranchers there. Some Danish refugees from when the Prussians invaded. A lot of stories in the family. My grandfather once told me the real names of all the people in East of Eden.

Don't let that location listed to the left fool you. I put it there because I rather tickled that there is an island which belongs to France off the west coast of Mexico.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto