Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all Aero Bootleggers, 1930s slim halfbelts, and Herculeses...

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Those of you fortunate to own and wear these fine Aero offerings, what, if anything, would you change about any or all of them?

I'm looking at customizing a jacket with various of the features I like most in the individual models, and would like your feedback regarding what you like most, and least, and how you'd modify/customize them now that you've lived with them for a while and the honeymoon's over.

I'm looking at using vintage black horsehide with a black cotton drill lining. I'm not concerned about warmth and insulation; rather, my priority is a durable lining.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Adam

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Don't know you're size, but if you're a big guy, the Bootlegger runs a little snug- still looks cool, but is definitely a vintage fit- just my free advice, and worth every penny!;)

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Actually looking for a trim cut

Flitcraft said:
Don't know you're size, but if you're a big guy, the Bootlegger runs a little snug- still looks cool, but is definitely a vintage fit- just my free advice, and worth every penny!;)

I'm 6'1", about 188lbs, 44"-45" chest/32" waist... I'm much better off with a trim tailored cut like the bootlegger/1930s halfbelt. The boxier cuts tend to look ridiculous on me... like when my 4 year olds dress up in my shirts.

I was thinking of a 1930s halfbelt but with the offset zip and big collar/lapels of the bootlegger, and the length of a long halfbelt/hercules.

If you can picture it, what do you think?

Rufus

Practically Family
I have a customized bootlegger. (it's essentially a 1930s slim fit with bootlegger front) I went for the cotton drill lining, it's incredibly hard wearing. I'd highly recommend it.

If you look back through the threads, you'll find I posted about this jacket last year
My customized features..

Throat latch
Inside pocket
1930s slimfit back w/halfbelt

The only thing I'm not pleased with...I wish Aero would cut the armholes slimmer. (next time!! ;-) )

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

Adam in Canada

New in Town
That's almost spot-on!

Rufus said:
I have a customized bootlegger. (it's essentially a 1930s slim fit with bootlegger front) I went for the cotton drill lining, it's incredibly hard wearing. I'd highly recommend it.

If you look back through the threads, you'll find I posted about this jacket last year
My customized features..

Throat latch
Inside pocket
1930s slimfit back w/halfbelt

The only thing I'm not pleased with...I wish Aero would cut the armholes slimmer. (next time!! ;-) )

IMG_6586.jpg

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

IMG_6174.jpg

That's almost the very jacket I'm looking to have made. Questions:
  • Why the throat latch? Doesn't the front flap attach across the throat when fully zipped?
  • Why the slimmer cut for the armholes?
  • No bi-swing back on that, right?
  • What is the length? (about the same as a cafe racer?)
I was thinking of a long halfbelt or hercules length, and using the (lower) front pockets from the hercules, too.

Do you have any photos of the jacket on you?

What a terrific jacket you've got there! One of the nicest I've seen.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Whatever model you choose, Aero will gladly model it after the slimmer 1930 pattern ( I had even made a buttoned Cheyenne based on the slim Long Halfbelt pattern). Any Aero jacket looks best when worn close fitting. Some models can look quite boxy and slightly oversized (Highwayman, 1950s Bomber Jacket and of course the car coats). Take that into consideration when ordering your jacket. For ease of wear Aero will do (per special request) an additional rayon overlay for the sleeve lining (ontop of the heavy cotton drill) which I think helps a lot and makes the jacket much easier to slip on especially when you are wearing a woollen sweater. Due to the cotton interlining the synthetic rayon overlay will hold up as well as the lining for the body. So longevity is really not an issue. Good luck with your jacket.

Adam in Canada

New in Town
JanSolo said:
Whatever model you choose, Aero will gladly model it after the slimmer 1930 pattern ( I had even made a buttoned Cheyenne based on the slim Long Halfbelt pattern).

Hey, JanSolo, could you post a pic of your Cheyenne based on the slim long halfbelt, please? I'm really curious how the added length (over the shorter 1930s HB) looks in the slimmer cut.

Thanks, in advance, for obliging (if you're able).

Adam

Rufus

Practically Family
Adam in Canada said:
That's almost the very jacket I'm looking to have made. Questions:
  • Why the throat latch? Doesn't the front flap attach across the throat when fully zipped?
    Throat latch - To do up top part of collar while riding or in foul weather (I live in London..it rains ALL the time!) It works well, and is a nice period feature.
  • Why the slimmer cut for the armholes?
    I'm very slim, and the arm holes are cut a wee bit to low (IMO, I'd like a more vintage, snug armhole). Lower arm hols also create a very slight 'batwing' when arms are raised... not that you have to do that a lot! LOL..
  • No bi-swing back on that, right? No... again, on the next I may get that, particularily for riding... makes life easier.
  • What is the length? (about the same as a cafe racer?) Yes, i believe so.. slightly longer than most of my MC jackets.
I was thinking of a long halfbelt or hercules length, and using the (lower) front pockets from the hercules, too.

Hmm... that might be difficult to move in, as it is a slim cut.. where as the Herc is a more full fit.

Do you have any photos of the jacket on you? I'll try and get some done this weekend sir! :) Ruf

Edward

Bartender
I was gonig to ask whether that is the infamous bleeding cordovan.... I really would love a jacket in that colour, but the bleed is an issue.

Rufus

Practically Family
My 'bleeding' Cordovan was a standard half belt... This one (The Bootlegger) has been OK. Cordovan does rub a little..

I ended up trading the HB at Notting Hill Clothes exchange... it just did my head in..everything ended up red! LOL... aaargh.

I have thought about trying to change the colour though...as (as usual) I've changed my mind... and want a black one! LOL..

I asked Aero about redying, but they said not to try changing it...so I'm fairly reluctant.. what to do...

I wish I was easier to please... every time I think I've got the perfect jacket... I 'need some change done. LOL.. (Still... keeps Aero in business)

My next one, I'd like a button up Bootlegger, no zips. More like a 30s work jacket, with a B2 style pocket with button.

Edward

Bartender
I wish Aero or ELC would come up with a B2 of their own.... I'd have thought they'd be able to sell them, though I suppose they have other ideas or they'd be doing them already.

I'm in a bit of a quandry.... I was all set to order a Goodwear A2, but with the sudden jump in the alue of the dollar, I'm wondernig whether if I hang on six months to a year, I'll be able to get one at the price they were six months ago. The stronger dollar makes them something like £100 more...

A black 30s half-belt with a lining of the green checked wool they use for the Waterfront Jacket might be a contender instead.... then there's the Russett Real Deal A2 I've had my eye on.... gah... too many jackets, too little cash!

Rufus

Practically Family
Tough choice Edward! LOL..

I have to admit... I can't see the fascination others have with the A2..it's an ugly jacket, and looks quite unflattering on most body shapes (Unless you're a 20 year old fighter pilot).

I know it's a historical thing... But I wouldn't buy one myself.

I've got a B10 that I really love, it's functional, and well fitting (it's the japanese McCoys version).

I think a civvie jacket would suit you more, and you'd probably get more wear out of it! (Just going on what I've seen you wearing)

Must meet up soon!

Graemsay

Practically Family
Nice jacket Rufus.

I've got a Hercules. It's one of the older models with the quilted rayon lining, two internal pockets, and I deleted the chest pocket.

I've also got a double-breasted Cossack, which would be another option. Incidentally, it's in Cordovan, and hasn't bled, despite being rained on heavily on a couple of occasions.

So what would I have done differently?
  1. I'd want a windflap, as the zip tended to be a cold spot. You could get one on the front (A-2 style) or inside (G-1 style), depending on your tastes.
  2. I probably wouldn't go for a button closure. The reason is that I've got into riding motorbikes, and it would be too easy for buttons to pull off, and the jacket open in the event of a crash. If you're not a biker then ignore this point. :)
  3. If you get buttons, then ask Aero for sizes, and get some custom ones. The standard plastic buttons that they use aren't that nice, though one of the expensive leather buttons on my Cossack has started to unwind.
  4. I'd be tempted to get a G-1 collar, that can be buttoned closed. Not sure if I'd get one with or without fur. The Lost Worlds Peacoat has a fur free version.
Other than that, don't panic if the jacket's fit isn't perfect out of the box. They mould and fit better after a bit of wear.

Anders

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:

Even on a 30s slim fit? Do you know if that pattern has slimmer armholes than the standard cut? I'm sizing myself for an Aero and wondering what exactly I should ask for to get the right fit.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Rufus said:
I have to admit... I can't see the fascination others have with the A2..it's an ugly jacket, and looks quite unflattering on most body shapes (Unless you're a 20 year old fighter pilot).

Each to there own and all that, but A2 an ugly jacket????

James.;)

Rufus

Practically Family
James, it looks great on Steve McQueen...but then again, most things did! LOL.. A2s do not look good on a lot of the people I'VE seen wearing them.

I did say they looked good on young pilots in WW2 (Panzer uniforms looked good too...but I don't see many rocking that look!)...just not so hot on middle aged overweight men, who've scaled up an item that was not meant to fit that frame.

Military gear looks good if you've got the build. Pip would look superb in an A2 etc.. he's young and the right shape! ;-)

Re - Armholes... even on the 'slim' cut, the armholes are too wide.. I discussed this with Amanda at Aero, and she said they couldn;t change it, as it was their pattern and it'd be too much work to alter it... which I must admit has made me hold back in reordering...

It's not a huge problem...rarely do you need to walk around with your arms in the air, but when on a bike it's nice not to feel that 'pull' from a too low cut arm.

Adam in Canada

New in Town
Rufus: some questions about the 1930s/bootlegger

What size is your jacket? I ask because I'm curious about the back length. I'm looking at building up a jacket very similar to your 1930s HB slimfit w/ bootlegger front. My Aero cafe racer is a 44; the back length, from neck seam to bottom, is about 27". I'm looking to make the jacket about an inch or so longer than my cafe racer at the back.

Do you have any photos of the jacket on you, in particular the back length? I'm not looking for the jacket to be short, or high-wasted, at the back.

Thanks,
Adam

icecold

One of the Regulars
JanSolo said:
Sorry, the jacket is still on its way from Aero. I will post photos and a review in a new thread next week. Again good luck with your jacket.

Jan

Did you ever get this jacket?

Long halfbelt with a cheyenne front sounds like a great idea, I'd love to see some photos too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24