Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling All Mods! Calling All Mods!

Again, another thread not meant for everyone.

Had this on today and thought I'd use it to start a new thread. Post yer mod rigouts here; have naysayers pick us apart. :D

sjmod.jpg

Regards,

Senator Jack

Barry

Practically Family
Let your heart dance....

Sadly, no Mod duds anymore. The one shirt I have left no longer fits. I guess I was more of a Ska nut anyway. And Northern Soul! I still love it. :eek:fftopic: I get weird looks when I wear my "Keep the Faith" T-Shirt at the gym.

Barry

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm still acquiring Mod stuff

In some people's minds who shop for me I will be forever Mod. Received a cute dress and boots in a birthday package from my mom today. I still buy and wear Mod, it's easy to find and flattering to me. Just today an oldster in the Volunteers of America store told me I was gorgeous and that I look like Jean Shrimpton! I'm not sure if the Shrimp ever wore an old flannel shirt and jeans but I'll take that compliment anytime. (No pics to post, I don't have anyone to work the camera here.)

Barry

Practically Family
Jack,

That would be great. A old friend of mine who I haven't contacted in probably 3 years or more goes by the name "Long Tall Simon" on the net. He's a pretty popular funk, soul, groove and 60's r&b digger and record seller. I knew him back in college. That guy is a master digger for sure. He manages to find some of the most obscure soulful music, it's really amazing. Anyway, he let me know about a Northern Soul night that was being hosted somewhere around Columbia U perhaps further up near Harlem. I never had a chance to go.

In DC there was once a Northern Soul night at a club called the Kaffe House which is now an African restaurant, I think.

Btw: Anyone remember this song??:

SCOOTER MANIACS

jimmy was a boy aged 17
but he was the leader of a gang
they chopped down their scooters into hot rockets
always on the run

they were scooting in formation
through the streets at night
motors and horns were blowing
looking for a fight

they are scooter maniacs
riding down the road
boys and girls go out of the way
of jimmy and his "crazy mods"

respirated scooters in two-tone colors
mostly black and white
chrome additions everywhere
mirrors left and right

a 20 feet long aerial
with a fox-fur on the top
27 lamps shine brighter than the sun
bought in the local scooter shop

looking for a fight

a 20 feet long aerial

they are scooter maniacs
riding down the road
boys and girls go out of the way
of jimmy and his "crazy mods"

carebear

respirated scooters in two-tone colors
mostly black and white
chrome additions everywhere
mirrors left and right

a 20 feet long aerial

looking for a fight

A scooter gang? Looking for a fight?

With who, a troop of girl scouts? A high school chess club?

No matter how tough you may be, if you're on a scooter you might as well be wearing a dress. lol

carebear

Senator Jack said:
Don't let the scooterists in New York hear you say that!!!!! Just a few weeks ago I had to defuse a situation that was about to get ugly. Some schnook called the guy's scooter a moped and he was ready to go at it.

Regards,

Senator Jack

What was he gonna do, hit the guy with his purse? lol

I'm kidding, it's an easy target. Some of those older classic styles are pretty cool. Not sure "chopping" them would be an improvement.

Salv

One Too Many
Brit photographer Nick Clements took a nice series of photos of latter-day Mods for a book about youth cults - you can see some of them on his site. Click on 1955-1965 under Personal Projects then click through the photos - numbers 2, 3, 6 (although 6 may be slightly pre-Mod), 10, 11 and 15 are the Mod photos.
Senator Jack said:
You'll have to come up for the Northern Soul dance party we have, Barry. Every third Saturday of the month. Details at http://www.subwaysoul.com

Regards,

Senator Jack
Are you involved with Subway Soul Jack? I'm a member of the Lost Soul Yahoo group, and it used to be quite busy, but the only messages that appear now are promotions for Subway Soul. My family want a trip to NY next year so I'll have to make sure I plan it to coincide with a Subway Soul night.

I had planned a trip from London to Manchester to attend a Northern all-nighter a few weeks ago, because the singer of one of my all-time favourite 45s was making his UK debut there. He's a guy called Ralph 'Soul' Jackson who's best known for a 45 on Black Kat - Set Me Free / Take Me Back - which is big on the Northern scene. The track I love though is Let Your Sweet Love Surround Me on Sound Of Birmingham, which is one of the greatest (IMO) Deep Soul recordings ever. Some of his stuff has recently been reissued on CD and he's touring with Roscoe Robinson to promote the CD. The organisers of the all-nighter in Manchester got in touch with his manager and arranged the visit, but unfortunately he had never held a passport and there was some problem when he applied which meant he couldn't make it for the all-nighter. His manager has promised that he'll be in the UK before the end of the year - I'll be there to see him!

And I don't know where the idea came from that riding a scooter made you soft. Running street battles between Mods and Rockers in Brighton, Margate, Bournemouth, Hastings and Clacton in 1964 showed that the scooterists were as ready for a ruck as anybody.

carebear

Salv said:
And I don't know where the idea came from that riding a scooter made you soft. Running street battles between Mods and Rockers in Brighton, Margate, Bournemouth, Hastings and Clacton in 1964 showed that the scooterists were as ready for a ruck as anybody.

They'd do better to save their pennys and buy real motorcycles. Things with horsepower, that you can ride cross country and break free of society's strictures on. That's freedom man, not putt-putting around a two bit town on a glorified lawnmower engine. They were in the land of BSA and Triumph for goodness sake.

That's all I was saying, it's not that the guys are soft, they just seem to be riding under their potential by choice and I don't understand why they'd do that.

Salv

One Too Many
carebear said:
They'd do better to save their pennys and buy real motorcycles. Things with horsepower, that you can ride cross country and break free of society's strictures on. That's freedom man, not putt-putting around a two bit town on a glorified lawnmower engine. They were in the land of BSA and Triumph for goodness sake.

That's all I was saying, it's not that the guys are soft, they just seem to be riding under their potential by choice and I don't understand why they'd do that.
Scooters were cheap and mods would much rather spend their pennies on bespoke suits, amphetamines and obscure jazz and R&B records. When they did save their pennies to upgrade from a scooter they tended to buy a car. They only travelled to the coastal towns on the Bank Holidays and mostly used their scooters for getting around whatever two-bit town they happened to live in. They didn't need a real motorcycle, and besides they associated real motorcycles with greasy rockers who still listened to Elvis and Gene Vincent. They were Modernists, not revisionists.

carebear

That explains it pretty well then.

Although, if they were that into "speed", you'd think they would ride something faster. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot