Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Camptown Straws...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A brown, very natural straw may be closer...

Well, there appears to be some good news on the dark brown straw front. I was just speaking with Ken this evening about some samples that he received recently. It's a coarser weave dark brown straw. Judging by the conversation it sounds very similar to the PB Indy straw in weave & color. So the dark brown would be a medium caramel. He is thinking of paring it with a dark chocolate ribbon & a cloth sweatband. The pricing range will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 to $55. The crown height will be around 5 inches. Not as tall as some of like but it sounds like a very fantastic addition for our summer hats at a very good price.
Lets hear you opinions and input folks. If you have any questions give Ken a jingle and he will be able to give you more specifics. So, what say you?

Cheers!

Dan

Stoney

Practically Family
Dan,

That sounds great to my ears. From everything I've read both here and over at COW, Ken sells some very nice hats at quite reasonable prices and these straws seem to be no exception. Summer is creeping up on us very fast and I'm sure he will do quite well with them priced at what you've indicated and there are plenty of Loungers in need of a summer hat or two.

Unfortunately I'm pretty much set for straw hats, I know at that price that I can easily justify one or two more.. but if I don't slow down soon I'm going to run out of storage space. lol

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I know what you mean, but it sure does make it irresistable. I know I'll probably get a couple. If all works out right, Ken may be offering a straw version of the 1957 Legend. It's in the revewing stages right now to find the right straw body for the project, but it does sound nice. Lets keep our fingers crossed. A good looking unbleached Cuenica with a dark brown ribbon. Hopefully it comes together because I'd definietly get one of those.

Cheers!

Dan

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please pardon my ignorance, but I don't know who Ken is. Will someone give us a link to his website? Those straws are all interesting looking and very reasonably priced, it seems. Also, if he has felts I'd be interested in seeing those too. Thanks, Bob.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, Stoney. I tagged it for future reference. I already have one hat on order from Panama Bob and my next three pretty much planned, but how many is too many? Those straws look very interesting.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hat samples...

Here is a shot of the new samples Ken got. They're not as yellow as they appear though, darn flourescent lighting.

Front of brouwn straw
BrownStraw1-vi.jpg

Side shot
BrownStraw2-vi.jpg

These do look promising. I'm thinking a super dark brown ribbon & bow would compliment this very well. What say you?

Cheers!

Dan

Woodfluter

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Well, there appears to be some good news on the dark brown straw front. I was just speaking with Ken this evening about some samples that he received recently. ///

The pricing range will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 to $55. ///

Lets hear you opinions and input folks. If you have any questions give Ken a jingle and he will be able to give you more specifics. So, what say you?

Dan

Judging from the picture you posted of this brown one, I'm very interested.

Do let us know please when he is ready to receive orders...I assume not yet...

Gettin' hot down here.

- Bill

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ken's a Daddy again!!

Congratulations to Ken & his wife on the birth of JJ junior!!:) The new adventures begin again for him. ;)

For those that are interested be sure to PM or e-mail Ken, he may be out of pocket for a few days now but he will get back to you. I'm just not sure how soon, but not to worry.

It's getting pretty hot on the left coast too. A good straw is going to come in handy.

Cheers!

Dan

rgraham

A-List Customer
I have been searching the net for a straw hat similar to what Sam Snead wore before he went with the stingy brims. The "Brody" fits what I've been looking for. The color, weave and band all look great. I would go without the feathers however. A bit larger brim couldn't hurt.
And congratulations on the new born.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Congratulations to Ken and his family!

Thats wonderful news!
That brown looks great!...I just bought a panama from Bob...but a brown one from Ken, may work nicely. Will it have the Camptown emblem firmly set into the crown?:D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

JerseyJones

Vendor
Colby Jack said:
Thats wonderful news!
That brown looks great!...I just bought a panama from Bob...but a brown one from Ken, may work nicely. Will it have the Camptown emblem firmly set into the crown?:D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Details will follow as soon as I get the new man home and settled in. THanks so much for your well wishes for my son and the family. I am honored by you all.

Peace
Ken

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Straw news...

I just got this update from Ken.

As a matter of sanity, I am not abandoning but holding on the straws for now. Its too much for me to begin with the felts to be styled and shipped, and the baby and job hunting etc. The Don Rogelio and the Brown Straw will be the leadoffs, but not immediately. I will be tracking it, so tell them not to despair and to keep posting ideas.

It's good to know that it is not abandoned. Let's keep the ideas coming in folks. Maybe we can see a straw line for next summer for sure.

Cheers!

Dan

Erik

One of the Regulars
That dark straw looks great. I've often wondered why darker straw options are not represented more in the market place.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Here is a shot of the new samples Ken got. They're not as yellow as they appear though, darn flourescent lighting.

Front of brouwn straw
BrownStraw1-vi.jpg

Side shot
BrownStraw2-vi.jpg

These do look promising. I'm thinking a super dark brown ribbon & bow would compliment this very well. What say you?

Cheers!

Dan
Does anyone carry these? My wife wants one badly. I can't find a small one.
Clay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo