Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can anyone identify this 1920's house

jspott

New in Town
hollywood blvd.

I meet with the great-great grandson of john rider today and found the address of the house 7218 hollywood blvd. I have a local newspaper article that references john rider as living in hollywood and the los angeles city directory also lists 7218 as his home. His home(mansion) in Dubuque was donated to the city and demolished for a park in 1914, so the house in california was most likely built in 1913 or 1914. The family (rider or burden)was also said to be involved in the early realestate devolepment of hollywood but I have not been able to find any proof of this. I am researching the family history for the one hundred year anniversary of the family estate http://www.fourmounds.org/ where I live and work as the property manager and youth programing director. Thanks for your help.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
and having just trolled through about 3 different Greene and Greene archive sites and looked at all the outside drawings for any of the houses they built in Los Angeles (and not in Pasadena or elsewhere) if the picture is indeed the Hollywood Blvd house, its -likely- not a Greene and Greene. Not impossible for it to be, but they have multiple sketches of almost every project they worked on, including -additions- so it would seem odd to have a house that large be completely off their documentation radar.

Another idea, is that this picture was taken in front of a -different- house Mr. Rider lived in in California. Is that possible? The house does -look- so very Greene and Greene, but they built maybe 3-5 houses in Los Angeles and Hollywood and none of them look like a match for this one.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I noticed that too, but you said it better than I ever could. :)
The Gamble house I posted looks like a modified version of a similar house.
Nice job!

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran