Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone post pictures of a dry (but not cracked) leather jacket that needs conditioner vs one that does not need it?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
When you brush leather, the brushing motion generates heat. Heat promotes fluidity in the solids deposited in the leather. I have seen Vanson's videos of how they treat leather with heat to bring out the oils to the surface. I like to use tallow only with Linseed Oil when the leather is very dry.
Is there a specific brand of tallow you use? I am re-dying some very thick horsehide for my exit jacket and it's too stiff and I would like to tallow it up before I use acrylic over it. Nice to see this thread again, I was about to get some neatsfoot but I would want to try tallow for that extra beefy smell. I think CXL also uses tallow in its mix and that's the smell I am gunning for.

Dbtk44

New in Town
Not trying to speak for photo2u here, just sharing my experience...any properly rendered beef tallow will work great. Same for lard, properly rendered... the combination of the two, along with some bees wax, makes for an excellent conditioner.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Is there a specific brand of tallow you use? I am re-dying some very thick horsehide for my exit jacket and it's too stiff and I would like to tallow it up before I use acrylic over it. Nice to see this thread again, I was about to get some neatsfoot but I would want to try tallow for that extra beefy smell. I think CXL also uses tallow in its mix and that's the smell I am gunning for.
Friend, I used whatever is cheaper. In the past, I used to make my own by just simply heating it up at a low temp and removing the imperfections such as beef and tissue etc. Currently, I picked up the name brand epic at my local store for about $5 US. Try to stay away from the bleach and highly purified type. Not a bad product but is more expensive.
Here is an older image of some of the products I use for my motorcycle leather items.

The HD leather pouch in the image was stiff and brittle from being in the hot sun for many years. My friend threw it away because it was very hard to use. Now is BETTER than new. He is in love with tallow. LOL.
20231105_082634.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Friend, I used whatever is cheaper. In the past, I used to make my own by just simply heating it up at a low temp and removing the imperfections such as beef and tissue etc. Currently, I picked up the name brand epic at my local store for about $5 US. Try to stay away from the bleach and highly purified type. Not a bad product but is more expensive.
Here is an older image of some of the products I use for my motorcycle leather items.

The HD leather pouch in the image was stiff and brittle from being in the hot sun for many years. My friend threw it away because it was very hard to use. Now is BETTER than new. He is in love with tallow. LOL.
View attachment 558049
This is awesome. THanks. I've got lots to do over the next few weekends. haha

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
@navetsea I'm curious. What is the item in your profile picture? I know the wolf is Fenrir from Final Fantasy VII but what is the whole item supposed to be? Is it a jacket, bag, or something else?
sorry I didn't see it earlier
it is a jacket, that is the back side of it
it has a back pouch I can slide in a back protector or to carry flat items like A4 sketching pad or simple folded thin plastic raincoat, etc.
20170112_084949.jpg
20170112_085509.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
How are you able to tell if the topcoat has worn off on parts of a leather jacket? Or if there was never a topcoat to begin with?
Do you know the differences between full aniline and pigment dyed leather?

mippo

New in Town
I don't. I'm a total noob. I assume topcoat means some type of coating left behind by leather conditioners to waterproof it but I'm not even sure if that assumption is correct.

mippo

New in Town
I did a google search after reading your comment. I learned that aniline leather has no topcoat while pigmented leather has a topcoat. If it has a topcoat then the pores are no longer visible because they're filled with the topcoat. I would have to use a magnifying glass or zoom in on my phone to see if the pores are filled with topcoat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner