Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone post pictures of a dry (but not cracked) leather jacket that needs conditioner vs one that does not need it?

mippo

New in Town
I've heard that you should condition your leather jacket after 20 years, if it gets wet, or if it looks dry but I'm not sure what a dry leather jacket would look like. I want to be able to spot the dryness and condition it before it starts cracking. Does anyone have pictures comparing dry and not dry leather jackets? Thanks.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I've heard that you should condition your leather jacket after 20 years, if it gets wet, or if it looks dry but I'm not sure what a dry leather jacket would look like. I want to be able to spot the dryness and condition it before it starts cracking. Does anyone have pictures comparing dry and not dry leather jackets? Thanks.
This is what dry looks like before it starts cracking. The topcoat has worn off, leaving the leather exposed to the elements.

F24355AA-4DD3-45AE-9CC8-F50D796B6855.jpeg
323D68DC-D5DE-4F78-A6DC-286F25CFB1C9.jpeg
384F4C91-B190-46FA-A362-DFA7A0512ABD.jpeg

Before / after conditioning:

12468387-9E2F-4DD3-B027-EB87E09545E6.jpeg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
This is what dry looks like before it starts cracking. The topcoat has worn off, leaving the leather exposed to the elements.

View attachment 527501 View attachment 527502 View attachment 527503

Before / after conditioning:

View attachment 527504
Excellent work! By the way, can you share the name brand on that Rob Roy/Buffalo plaid? I am in the market for a thinner shirt. So many choices out there. Knowing your taste, probably pick one of the better ones. LOL.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
How it changed colour so much?
The color will deepen depending on the type of conditioner used. I used several products on this particular jacket.

By the way, can you share the name brand on that Rob Roy/Buffalo plaid? I am in the market for a thinner shirt. So many choices out there. Knowing your taste, probably pick one of the better ones. LOL.

That's an RRL buffalo plaid shirt, this one.

https://stagprovisions.com/products/rrl-l-s-farrell-twill-plaid-workshirt-fw20

These used to be $175 and you could buy them on sale but as everything the prices have gone up. It's a lot of money for a work shirt tbh, but they are of good quality and they last about 5-8 years of regular wear.

Peacoat

Bartender
Rather than a rule to condition after 20 years, I think it is generally understood that a leather jacket shouldn't need conditioning until after about 20 to 25 years with normal wear..

If you have any experience with leather jackets, you should be able to tell if a jacket is dry just by touch.

As photo2u said above, if you have any question about it being dry, just go ahead and condition it.

The biggest thing is to avoid using too much conditioner. Go lightly and apply with your fingers (unless you use Urad). Over-conditioning will create white “blooms” of goop that wasn’t properly absorbed. Sometimes you can buff or brush it out, but it often comes back.

Last edited:
Don't do anything. 99.99% of all leather conditioners are useless gunk & won't do a thing to help dry leather.

The only leather conditioner for which I can claim with any amount of certainty that it demonstrates an observable effect on leather is Coccine. It without any doubt softens leather & darkens it. That's about it but that's what I did need so... As for its preservetional properties, well, that has yet to be determined.

tuk-coccine-pripravek-na-buataisi-22585.jpg

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Don't do anything. 99.99% of all leather conditioners are useless gunk & won't do a thing to help dry leather.

The only leather conditioner for which I can claim with any amount of certainty that it demonstrates an observable effect on leather is Coccine. It without any doubt softens leather & darkens it. That's about it but that's what I did need so... As for its preservetional properties, well, that has yet to be determined.

tuk-coccine-pripravek-na-buataisi-22585.jpg

The best conditioner I have ever used is Tallow(beef fat.) Manteca de rez. Old master craftsmen ingredient. If you have questions about which name brand to use. There have been several threads on this subject. You will be surprised at how many skin care tallow is actually used.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
The color will deepen depending on the type of conditioner used. I used several products on this particular jacket.

That's an RRL buffalo plaid shirt, this one.

https://stagprovisions.com/products/rrl-l-s-farrell-twill-plaid-workshirt-fw20

These used to be $175 and you could buy them on sale but as everything the prices have gone up. It's a lot of money for a work shirt tbh, but they are of good quality and they last about 5-8 years of regular wear.
I did actually have seen that brand before. It was a little too expensive for me. However, I was able to locate a NOS Eddie Bauer for 40 USD in my size. The fabric looks good and the build looks strong.
Thanks for sharing.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Animal fat based greases like tallow get rancid. The entire purpose of tanning is to rid leather of anything that naturally decomposes - or rots, if you will - such as fats.
Friend, I have heard that before. However, I have used it for more than 40 years with no problems whatsoever. Industry tanning professionals who actually work in leather for generations only recommend beef fat for conditioning leather. Even famous jacket makers admit that most leather conditioners' main ingredient is tallow. In the past, I have provided a link to a video from a very well know maker who actually states it. Update, Here is David mentioning around 5:35

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great topic. Just experience this recently while organizing.

This tumbled CXL jacket is a few years old. I don't baby my clothes. There was a hazy cloud on top what seems like cracks (but is not). All it takes is a wipe down and brush with horsehair brush and looks new again. Less than a minute of work.

Most of the nice modern leather are stuffed with so much oil and waxes it will last our life time without much conditioning. Brushing is really all that is needed. What seems like cracks are just the oil and waxes escaping the leather core from wearing (agitating), brushing takes those oil and waxes and push them back into the leather and also forms another protective layer on top.

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

I am also guilty of using conditioner to break in the more robust leathers. In many ways it works as the same as water but conditioner. When things evaporate from the leather core, it takes stuffing with it to the top and hence breaks in. In reality, for new leather brushing is all that is needed. The jacket will spit out what it cannot take anyways, it won't swallow...

cxl.jpg

cbez

One Too Many
bick 4 won't hurt anything and is also nice as a cleaner. it is good at reducing or minimizing scuffs and such as well.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sometime dry leather can be seen by how it drapes, if when you wear the jacket the creases looks a bit sharp and unnatural and how the body looks like you wear a paper bag feel, then probably the leather can use a little conditioning. I use my fingers to condition leather, I never spurt the conditioner onto the leather or using wool dauber to paint a layer of conditioner over the leather I think it is too much that way. and you don't need to condition the entire jacket, if you think the elbow area could use some conditioning then just do that on that area, pretty much the same with conditioning your own skin if your arm feel a bit dry you don't need whole body conditioning.

mippo

New in Town
sometime dry leather can be seen by how it drapes, if when you wear the jacket the creases looks a bit sharp and unnatural and how the body looks like you wear a paper bag feel, then probably the leather can use a little conditioning. I use my fingers to condition leather, I never spurt the conditioner onto the leather or using wool dauber to paint a layer of conditioner over the leather I think it is too much that way. and you don't need to condition the entire jacket, if you think the elbow area could use some conditioning then just do that on that area, pretty much the same with conditioning your own skin if your arm feel a bit dry you don't need whole body conditioning.
@navetsea I'm curious. What is the item in your profile picture? I know the wolf is Fenrir from Final Fantasy VII but what is the whole item supposed to be? Is it a jacket, bag, or something else?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
I use lanolin on dry leather. A tiny tiny bit goes a long way, and it's super easy to use too much, but it gets DEEP to soften dry leather. This is only on old drying out items, not a "yearly ritual” or anything. For normal yearly care I use Snoseal.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Great topic. Just experience this recently while organizing.

This tumbled CXL jacket is a few years old. I don't baby my clothes. There was a hazy cloud on top what seems like cracks (but is not). All it takes is a wipe down and brush with horsehair brush and looks new again. Less than a minute of work.

Most of the nice modern leather are stuffed with so much oil and waxes it will last our life time without much conditioning. Brushing is really all that is needed. What seems like cracks are just the oil and waxes escaping the leather core from wearing (agitating), brushing takes those oil and waxes and push them back into the leather and also forms another protective layer on top.

View attachment 527554
View attachment 527555
View attachment 527556

I am also guilty of using conditioner to break in the more robust leathers. In many ways it works as the same as water but conditioner. When things evaporate from the leather core, it takes stuffing with it to the top and hence breaks in. In reality, for new leather brushing is all that is needed. The jacket will spit out what it cannot take anyways, it won't swallow...

View attachment 527557

When you brush leather, the brushing motion generates heat. Heat promotes fluidity in the solids deposited in the leather. I have seen Vanson's videos of how they treat leather with heat to bring out the oils to the surface. I like to use tallow only with Linseed Oil when the leather is very dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner