Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this Buco be saved?

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Hey all, I recently purchased this Buco with the hopes of saving its life. It appears that someone has replaced the main zipper with... velcro. Honestly one of the dumbest things I've seen, but I imagine that it was perhaps for a reason of disability. Just my conjecture.

The yellow is the glue that was used to attach the velcro. It seems to be pretty easy to peel back.

Question: can this be reversed? If so, by whom and at what cost?

The jacket is otherwise in really great shape.

Thanks!

20220106_124319_copy_1600x1200.jpg
20220106_124359_copy_1200x1600.jpg
20220106_124334_copy_1200x1600.jpg
20220106_124328_copy_1600x1200.jpg
20220106_124408_copy_1200x1600.jpg
20220106_124435_copy_1200x1600.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
@iknowleather (Dena) would be a good one to ask about this work. Who on earth would put velcro on a vintage Buco?

Even in this condition, it's still a valuable and presentable jacket. Otherwise looks to be in rather good shape.

Velcro is is likely too new to have been implimented when Buco was operating full-time. Could this have been some sort of prototype? Way to get rid of the main zipper...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Not sure what kind of cement is used to glue the velcro. But most glue residue can be cleaned up with an eraser. I've had very good results using eraser to erase away the glue residues in leather shoes.
Also not sure what is the condition underneath the velcro. It could be a band aid to cover up other problems. In the worst case those panels could be swapped out, but labor hours would add up. And it would be hard to find a leather that can match the old one.
I also wonder if there are professional restorers for older leather jackets out there. Not just jacket makers who alter used jackets, but pro restorers specialize in restoring ancient leather stuff.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I successfully removed glues from leather jackets by wetting the area with water and then simply rolling off the glue with fingers. Water weakened the bond between the glue and the leather allowing for a very clean removal. Maybe you can try it on a small area, just make sure both the glue and the leather underneath are both well-wetted (not just superficially). Immersion of a piece you want the glue removed from in water for 30 minutes will do it. Trying to dissolve the glue with organic solvents such as acetone is more risky as it can take the topcoat off the leather. Alcohol is milder. So I would say to remove the glue first try water, then alcohol, acetone as last resort. Anyway, Dena will probably know best.

Last edited:

iknowleather

Vendor
Not sure what kind of cement is used to glue the velcro. But most glue residue can be cleaned up with an eraser. I've had very good results using eraser to erase away the glue residues in leather shoes.
Also not sure what is the condition underneath the velcro. It could be a band aid to cover up other problems. In the worst case those panels could be swapped out, but labor hours would add up. And it would be hard to find a leather that can match the old one.
I also wonder if there are professional restorers for older leather jackets out there. Not just jacket makers who alter used jackets, but pro restorers specialize in restoring ancient leather stuff.

Yes, a rubber eraser. (Not a pencil eraser).
Also agree about what's under the velcro. But I think I could find a piece of leather that would be unobjectionable- considering the trade off for losing the jacket. It would definitely cost more than just replacing the zipper, but this jacket looks worth an investment. Restoring vintage jackets is my specialty - and my love.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How does it wear with the velcro in place? I know none of us would make this change on purpose… but now I'm really curious about how it looks! Presumably it only wears right with the velcro done all the way up for a closed-neck look.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
The Jacket appears to be in excellent condition outside the zipper issue. Very nice look Horsehide and a favorite model of mine. I've come close to buying a couple. Well worth the effort to have restored to original. I don't even know the model number, I just like it. I've seen a Taubers in the same style.

The Jacket appears to be in excellent condition outside the zipper issue. Very nice look Horsehide and a favorite model of mine. I've come close to buying a couple. Well worth the effort to have restored to original. I don't even know the model number, I just like it. I've seen a Taubers in the same style.
Police Jacket-27 (pj-27). My favorite Buco. This model, with the low ticket pocket and cuff belts is the best looking Buco imho. Blows away the tired d pocket j-24.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Police Jacket-27 (pj-27). My favorite Buco. This model, with the low ticket pocket and cuff belts is the best looking Buco imho. Blows away the tired d pocket j-24.
I on the other hand prefer the PJ-27 to this J-27 Style King. It is still a great find. Congrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto