Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you help me find the belt from the movie Taxi Driver?

NeilMcCauley

New in Town
Hi again,

I say 'again' because the last time I was here, I was looking for help finding the tanker jacket 'Travis Bickle' wears in the movie Taxi Driver. (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28356) Thanks to the tips and advice I got here, I managed to track down a very good replica and order one from Japan.

Anyway! I'm now looking to find a replica or a VERY similar belt to the one shown in the movie. Here's what it looks like. I'm afraid these are the best shots of it I could find.

thebelt.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of belt this is, where I could get a very similar one, or even where might be a better place to ask some experts about it (a belt forum or something?)

Thanks!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Good luck in your quest to build a Bickle wardrobe. Please post pics when you've got the complete outfit together. Certain pesky laws may prevent you from properly accessorizing (.44 Magnum,stylishly concealed), however, the true gentleman will persevere. Also, the proper hair-cut will make you simply the cats pajamas.

(sarcasm,humor)​

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
(if he comes back asking for contact information for Jody Foster, alert the authorities)

That wasn't very nice. A snotty answer to a straight question. And someone else applauds this response. :mad:

Besides, you are mixing up your pop culture. Bickle rescued Foster's character from a life of child prostitution. Hinckley was the stalker. Get it straight.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Nah. Sorry, but he's still mixing up his pop culture. He's jumped the track into something else. If you're going there, you gotta go further and reference Cydney.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Bourbon Guy said:
... you are mixing up your pop culture. Bickle rescued Foster's character from a life of child prostitution. Hinckley was the stalker. Get it straight.
Jokes are always funnier when you dissect them and explain their cohesive internal logic. Hinkley was obsessed with Jody Foster in real life. Bickle was obsessed with the character that Jody Foster played in the movie. NeilM is apparently not offended by my silly jibe, any more than I am by people who tease me good-naturedly about my interests. But, you know, good looking out for a fellow lounger, I guess.

[huh]

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
Jokes are always funnier when you dissect them and explain their cohesive internal logic. Hinkley was obsessed with Jody Foster in real life. Bickle was obsessed with the character that Jody Foster played in the movie. NeilM is apparently not offended by my silly jibe, any more than I am by people who tease me good-naturedly about my interests. But, you know, good looking out for a fellow lounger, I guess.

[huh]

Exactly. There was no cohesive internal logic. It jumped track from the make-believe movie to real life and ..... oh ..... now I'm one of the guys from Big Bang, aren't I? Oh what the hell, what hat you wear today Slim?

NeilMcCauley

New in Town
I see a bit of controversy has sparked up while I've been away. The joke didn't offend me at all, although at the same time it wasn't very funny because, as someone else pointed out, it wasn't really accurate and kind of seemed a bit out of place coming straight after my request. No problem though! It was just a joke. :)

So...this belt...

Slim Portly

One Too Many
BG: Jokes, like metaphors, break down at some level. You either appreciate them for what they are or you move on. Dismembering one has all the charm of explaining to one's love why she isn't in fact very much comparable to a summer's day.

NeilMC: Sorry about the diversion. It happens here from time to time when people allow their personal agendas to carry them far afield. Good luck in your continued endeavor. I hope that at some point your Bickle outfit is complete and satisfactory enough in your estimation to warrant your sharing pictures of it with us.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
You gave me an excuse to search around in the cowboy buckle stores (I get bored). It's probably going to be difficult to duplicate exactly, because cowboy buckles appear to be pieces of artistic jewelry that change over time. Turns out it is not easy finding an oval medallion in the middle of a rectangular buckle with clipped corners, and sort of scalloped outside edge (they aren't straight lines). Can't tell from the pictures whether it is a stone in the middle or metal. However -

Try this one. Not exact, but pretty darn close. Closest I've seen:

http://www.sheplers.com/mens/western_belt_buckles/290170.html

Or, if you prefer a metal medallion and have some real cash to burn:

http://www.bealscowboybuckles.com/stsccrbuwiho.html

I doubt Bickle would have had a $1,000 buckle. On the other hand, I'm not so sure he wouldn't have. Just search "cowboy buckles." Oh, and let us know if you find it.

An interesting aside: I always thought Scorcese was very detail oriented, controlling every scene and character down to the smallest detail, so that the buckle Bickle wore should be a film nut bit of inside trivia (who made it), but there's nothing that I can find on the net about it. Sort of odd.

You're writing a paper, aren't you?

NeilMcCauley

New in Town
Wow, thanks a lot! That first one is very similar. It's just a shame it's gold - the Bickle one isn't and, probably more to the point, I don't think I could see myself wearing a gold one. The second one is interesting too, pretty similar.

I know what you mean about there being nothing about the belt online...anywhere. It's a shame. I've seen his boots recreated, one of his t-shirts, two of his jackets and at least two of his cowboy shirts...but not the belt. Although, all of those items were/are made by the same company: The Real McCoy in Japan. That's where I got the jacket.

I'm not writing a paper - what made you think I might be?

Anyway, the quest continues. Except now, thanks to you, I have some better search terms to use for finding a similar belt (the scalloped edges etc.) :)

NeilMcCauley

New in Town
Thanks.

Although I must say my goal isn't to look like I'm Travis Bickle or a modern day cowboy or anything like that. I don't wear the jacket very much, if at all. It's just nice to have it. The belt - I would wear, but by itself it wouldn't make me look like Bickle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot