Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you identify my grandfather's hat?

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
Can any of the experts here identify my grandfather's hat in this photo?
Any help would be appreciated.
479380886_86e57e2752.jpg

S

Samsa

I'm not one of the "experts," but a rough date as to when the photo was taken would no doubt help to some extent...

J.B.

Practically Family
Samsa said:
I'm not one of the "experts,"...

Double-Ditto here!

...Still... IMHO, the suave look of the hat AND the wearer sure remind me of the old Crofutt & Knapp ads...?! [huh]

From WordNet...

suave

adjective
1. having a sophisticated charm; "a debonair gentleman" [syn: debonair]
2. smoothly agreeable and courteous with a degree of sophistication

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
Thanks for the replies. The hat was most likely bought in Des Moines Iowa in the 30's. At least one of his other hats is stetson but I know that doesn't necessarily mean this one is. Can the bash be identified?

nulty

One of the Regulars
I couldn't say who made the hat. I can say that is a fantastic photograph. How wonderful that it survives and you can enjoy it.....

mingoslim

Practically Family
As to indentifying hats . . .

:eek:fftopic: I was watching the Coen Brother's movie "Barton Fink" last night, and I found myself trying to identify the hats that various characters were wearing . . . Anyone else find themselves trying to do the same?

I am pretty sure that John Goodman's character was wearing a Playboy or Playboyesque clone . . . and I think that Turturro's character was sporting a Whippet in an early scene . . . and one Detective is wearing a hat that I am pretty sure is waaaaaay off for a movie set in 1941.:eek:fftopic:

PapaSimone

Familiar Face
The Melrose does look like it.
Here is a pic of him without a hat (all the way to the left) with Winston Churchill and Truman right after the iron curtain speech. Can Churchill's or Truman's hat be i.d.ed?
479324624_06f0e2fd38.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart