Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you wear your hat in YOUR vehicle?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is a car now!

Your Packard has the same style seat and headroom as my 1940 Buick Super. I listened to a wife and sold it. Oh, it wasn't her, it was buying a house, having a kid, that kind of thing. It was a "toy" at the time. Now I am older, and want to go buy the toys I had in my younger days. I think we should be born old and them get younger with the passage of time. There is a joke at the end of this but since it is a clean thread...

indyjim

Familiar Face
My Jeep Grand Cherokee, no problem in the car but I have to watch getting
in and out. My '00 Jeep was easier to get into with a hat. The big, fat headrests are the bigger problem. Hat brim hits in the back.

Doh!

One Too Many
I'm 5'10" and my Mini Cooper... isn't. Still, while it will accomodate a fedora just fine, the headrest is an issue so I usually take my hat off once I'm behind the wheel.

Years ago, my dad told me that his dad would always take a favorite hat with him when new car shopping -- just to make sure there was enough headroom while driving!

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
When the weather is not cooperative and the top is up, I have no problem wearing my lid in my 350Z Roadster. However, I need to doff it while entering and exiting.

Now with the top down one must be VERY carefull not to let the brim catch wind!!

clsecmbt

New in Town
My 1971 Ford Maverick 2 door does not require the removal of my hat, and I do enjoy cruising in my stetson. I'm 6' 2" but my bench seat sits low and comfy.

Jay

Practically Family
I'm around 5'11'' and I can wear my Federation in my 1987 Trans Am with about an inch to spare and thats only because the glass part of the T-Tops are about 2 inches higher than the rest of the inside.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
5'10, plenty of headroom in my Citroen Picasso. I dont tend to wear the hat in the car though as most of my life when Ive been stuck behind a car driving half the speed limit with a queue of traffic trailing behind it I eventually pass and almost always see some old guy in a hat looking like Mr Magoo and oblivious to the convoy parading in his rear view mirror.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just tried it in our 96 El Dorado Touring Coupe. Plenty of room once in there but not for getting in and out with hat on- ducking required. I drive with the seat all the way down and all the way back too. Raising it if I was shorter would cut headroom severely.:cool2:

JD Boswell

New in Town
When I'm driving my 1942 jeep with the top up my helmet doesn't get in the way. :cool2: When I drive with the top down the skys the limit!!

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
I can wear my 4 inch brim fedora (Art Fawcett custom hat) in the 1957 GMC truck, 1955 Bel Air, 1958 Dynamic 88, 1957 Bel Air, 1975 Cad El Dorado, and 1973 Mach 1. I can wear any style fedora or lady vintange hats no problem since I'm on 5' 5-1/2".

Regards,

Lady Powers

Lancealot

Practically Family
Heard that before

vespasian said:
5'10, plenty of headroom in my Citroen Picasso. I dont tend to wear the hat in the car though as most of my life when Ive been stuck behind a car driving half the speed limit with a queue of traffic trailing behind it I eventually pass and almost always see some old guy in a hat looking like Mr Magoo and oblivious to the convoy parading in his rear view mirror.

My father used to always complain about an old man in a hat holding him up on the way to work every morning.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
5'11" - I can get away with wearing my modern Stetson, with a low crown, in most midsized cars, including my 2003 Monte Carlo. However, taller crowns don't work out too well. Today, however, out of necessity, I discovered I can wear a high crown driving my fathers '05 Equinox quite comfortably... assuming the dog doesn't go for it while I'm driving! :p

shamus

Suspended
Seems like everyone pretty much can.

My 70 bronco has lots of room since I took the top off... but with the soft top on I'm fine, although the roll cage get in the way now and then when I turn my head fast. I did find the cooper mini with not a lot of head room though... but I still wear a fedora even if there isn't enough room, I just "scrutch" down.

Jake

One of the Regulars
Toyota RAV4 2dr. (Looks like a Japanese Jeep) No problem with head/hat room. Also corners like a Mini Cooper.....Jake

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm between 5.8 and 5.9, and I can wear either my fedoras or western hats in my '83 280ZX Turbo, or Chevy Blazers. In my wife's '93 Audi 90, clearance is tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto