Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you wear your hat in YOUR vehicle?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I have plenty of headroom in my car (I have the seat as low as it will go), but the headrest is a pain with big brims.

6039581916140f57790d3a1339fef918.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
In what I'm driving these days - a Subaru Legacy - yes. Though I'm only 5'8", my hats were always bumping the roof in my previous car, a Dodge Stratus, even though it was a larger vehicle in most dimensions.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I actually went out and measured today -- there's exactly thirteen inches between the top of my head and the roof of the Plodge when I'm sitting in the front seat. I'm not sure exactly how tall one of those hats is, but that's a pretty impressive spread.

I actually went out and measured today -- there's exactly thirteen inches between the top of my head and the roof of the Plodge when I'm sitting in the front seat. I'm not sure exactly how tall one of those hats is, but that's a pretty impressive spread.

I think it's a requirement that cars sold in Texas have that much ladies' headroom...not for hats, but for their big hair.

I can wear a hat in my pick-em-up, but it's harder to get in and out through the door with one on my head, so I usually take it off getting in. Of course, I'm over 6 feet so some folks might not have that problem.

Cortina Man

New in Town
The last time I had to buy a new car three years ago I went car shopping with my cowboy hat on (yes I wear fedora's as well), since I was looking for a smaller sized car... After trying to squeeze into a friend's Honda Civic with a hat on, unsuccessfully, I knew that would become one criteria for me... I ended up buying a 2009 Hyundai Accent that has plenty of headroom for most of my wide brimmed hats unless they are super tall, and I'm about 5'11"...

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
The subaru just does not have the room for my hat, though the dash is sufficient after or before the dirt road for securing it. When driving along that 5 miles of dirt road I've either got to hold it, set it on the passengers seat, or have the person riding shotgun hold it. That is unless they've got their hands full riding shotgun ;)

Cortina Man

New in Town
I do have one I can't wear while driving, but it is rather tall... If I'm driving somewhere it will be in the back of the car and goes on when I park the car... Yes I will do street photography with this... It's one of the cowboy hats I'll wear for our annual Calgary Stampede week...

In case anyone is wondering, it's a Smithbilt hat with some sort of fur and a strange colour I'm never quite sure how to describe, not sure how old it is, maybe 1970's, maybe... I suspect it was a special order by a customer, which is something they will do... I'm not certain but I don't think it's supposed to be worn with the crease down... And Smithbilt is a well respected Calgary hat maker, and they don't just make cowboy hats...

Attachments

• Hat 01.jpg
    Hat 01.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 1,003

sufidancer

New in Town
Jeep Laredo is Cowboy hat approved. room up top and in back.
However a 2015 Ford F 150 Not so much. Very aggravating bumping the back of your hat on the seat.

Jeep Laredo is Cowboy hat approved. room up top and in back.
However a 2015 Ford F 150 Not so much. Very aggravating bumping the back of your hat on the seat.

Can't wear one in my Jeep Wrangler (2000), without the top off. And I know what you mean about the back of your hat on the seat, but from a safety perspective, you're not supposed to be able to wear a hat in a car. The head rest/restraint should be only an inch or two away from the back of your head. Not that most people drive that way...

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
My Mustang and my old pickup both have enough headroom. However, the mustang's headrest does hit the brim and is a bit annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto